ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Street (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Kpr 200 Engine Ticking (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=31718)

Dustoff42 10-15-2022 04:39 AM

Kpr 200 Engine Ticking

So I have about 80 miles on this bike now and I noticed this sound coming from the engine. Has anyone heard this noise with this bike before? Does not sound normal. I am about to change the oil out and put a new oil filter in since I didn’t change the original since I got the bike. Though I did drain the original oil. https://youtube.com/shorts/RrqLAHPRCI4?feature=share

JerryHawk250 10-15-2022 08:44 AM

Change the oil, adjust the valves. It does sound loud. You sure you don't have an exhaust leak.

herbie 10-15-2022 09:53 AM

I agree with what Jerry said. My engine has always sounded a little noisier than some other bikes I've owned but it has not ever been a problem. The camera may be amplifying the noise some but adjusting the valves and doing a complete oil change is a wise thing to do. I love the green color by the way! :tup:

clash 168cc 10-15-2022 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dustoff42 (Post 385233)
So I have about 80 miles on this bike now and I noticed this sound coming from the engine. Has anyone heard this noise with this bike before? Does not sound normal. I am about to change the oil out and put a new oil filter in since I didn’t change the original since I got the bike. Though I did drain the original oil. https://youtube.com/shorts/RrqLAHPRCI4?feature=share

I can hear the valves tapping. Mine has a Lifan GY6 type, different engine though. It also started tapping early on. Adjust the valves by the plate on the engine. Use synthetic. See if it sounds normal again.

Falkon45 10-15-2022 05:38 PM

Did you put enough oil in? Mine was noisy like that when I ran low.

Dustoff42 10-15-2022 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 385237)
Change the oil, adjust the valves. It does sound loud. You sure you don't have an exhaust leak.

How would I tell if there is an exhaust leak? The exhaust pipe seems to heat up pretty wild towards the middle. And would you recommend doing the oil change first or the valve adjustment?

TominMO 10-15-2022 11:25 PM

Since you did change out the Chinese mystery oil, I'd just make sure the level is correct, then check out the valves. If it was low on oil, add what you need and run it again. If the sound goes away, it was the oil level. If you still have the sound, wait for the motor to cool down overnight and then check the valve clearances.

Personally I think it's very loose valves. Even if the sound goes away when you add oil, you really should check out the valves, on general principles.

Dustoff42 10-16-2022 08:25 AM

So I did the valve adjustment and it still does that ticking noise. But now something interesting has happened. Something shot out of the exhaust! Looks like old oil but not sure. Uploaded another video to show the sound still and the stuff that came out. https://youtube.com/shorts/dsG8RZS5jX8?feature=share

J4Fun 10-16-2022 02:00 PM

Seems like that oil on the floor is fresh by its color. Is it possible that the engine is now over filled. It didn’t come from the exhaust, more likely a crank case breather. Just my thoughts!

Dustoff42 10-16-2022 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbie (Post 385245)
I agree with what Jerry said. My engine has always sounded a little noisier than some other bikes I've owned but it has not ever been a problem. The camera may be amplifying the noise some but adjusting the valves and doing a complete oil change is a wise thing to do. I love the green color by the way! :tup:

Haha thank you. I like it also. So I adjusted the valves and started the engine and this stuff came out the exhaust. Hard to tel if it is gasoline or oil t it seems weird. You ever seen something like this after a valve adjustment? Might have to much oil in there tbh. Need to do the oil change still.

herbie 10-16-2022 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dustoff42 (Post 385301)
Haha thank you. I like it also. So I adjusted the valves and started the engine and this stuff came out the exhaust. Hard to tel if it is gasoline or oil t it seems weird. You ever seen something like this after a valve adjustment? Might have to much oil in there tbh. Need to do the oil change still.

Hello Dustoff, that looks more like rusty water to me, there is a drain hole in the bottom of the exhaust to allow condensation and water from rain or washing the bike that gets into the hole of the muffler to drain out. If you notice the drain hole at the bottom of the exhaust is all rusty. That's most likely perfectly normal. You can watch my oil change video if you would like to see how everything goes. Be sure when you check the oil level both now with the old oil and after the oil and filter change with the bike perfectly level, (It does make a difference) If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask

Dustoff42 10-16-2022 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbie (Post 385303)
Hello Dustoff, that looks more like rusty water to me, there is a drain hole in the bottom of the exhaust to allow condensation and water from rain or washing the bike that gets into the hole of the muffler to drain out. If you notice the drain hole at the bottom of the exhaust is all rusty. That's most likely perfectly normal. You can watch my oil change video if you would like to see how everything goes. Be sure when you check the oil level both now with the old oil and after the oil and filter change with the bike perfectly level, (It does make a difference) If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask

Ya that’s where the stuff shoots out from. I did ride in the rain a little but it was a drizzle at most. I wonder why it’s in there. I’m going to double check my gaskets on the engine where I adjusted the valves just in case. Did you ever notice yours not seeming to use the coolant? It seems like mine hasn’t gone down much. I love this bike tho. I have been taking it to work as much as I can. Just want to make sure I have everything running right. Want this to last.

herbie 10-17-2022 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dustoff42 (Post 385308)
Ya that’s where the stuff shoots out from. I did ride in the rain a little but it was a drizzle at most. I wonder why it’s in there. I’m going to double check my gaskets on the engine where I adjusted the valves just in case. Did you ever notice yours not seeming to use the coolant? It seems like mine hasn’t gone down much. I love this bike tho. I have been taking it to work as much as I can. Just want to make sure I have everything running right. Want this to last.

You still have the catalytic convertor in yours and it will have some condensation coming out as a result, the same as you see happening on automobiles. When I said something about riding in the rain, what I meant was going from one place to another and stopping and it is cooling off and some unintentional rain drips inside. If you're riding it and not stopping, the hot exhaust and exhaust pressure won't allow much water to make it very far at all so it wouldn't be a problem, but even still it will drain out if it does. Washing the bike is when you can get some water down into the exhaust, but that drain hole will allow it to come out without any problem. As far as loosing coolant, I have topped mine off once since I've had it, but not since. You shouldn't have to add coolant once it's full but it's always good practice to check the level once in a while when you have the rear seat off, coolant leaks can and do happen.

Dustoff42 10-17-2022 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbie (Post 385320)
You still have the catalytic convertor in yours and it will have some condensation coming out as a result, the same as you see happening on automobiles. When I said something about riding in the rain, what I meant was going from one place to another and stopping and it is cooling off and some unintentional rain drips inside. If you're riding it and not stopping, the hot exhaust and exhaust pressure won't allow much water to make it very far at all so it wouldn't be a problem, but even still it will drain out if it does. Washing the bike is when you can get some water down into the exhaust, but that drain hole will allow it to come out without any problem. As far as loosing coolant, I have topped mine off once since I've had it, but not since. You shouldn't have to add coolant once it's full but it's always good practice to check the level once in a while when you have the rear seat off, coolant leaks can and do happen.

Thank your amazing. Did the oil change and adjusted the valves once more because I’m neurotic. The oil filter was dark and the metal mesh screen had metal flakes in it. Chinese oil man. Didn’t clean those out when I put the last new oil in. Bikes running and sounds great so far after everything was done. The ticking is there still but I’m pretty sure it’s the fuel injector and solenoid going off and on. Pretty consistent with acceleration and doesn’t get louder or after. Tho is better after new oil and valve clearance. Got wrong spark plug so need new one of those for the bike. Im sure that will help it even more.

JimS 10-17-2022 03:58 PM

Great group of guys here with lots of knowledge and always willing to help. Pay the few extra bucks and get the NGK Iridium plug.