ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   What transmission oil for the TaoTao Hellcat 125? (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=24267)

AUDAN2019 08-05-2019 01:50 PM

What transmission oil for the TaoTao Hellcat 125?

I'll need to change the engine and transmission oil soon. Do I use the same oil for both or is there something specific I need? The dumb manual doesn't say what type of trans oil or amount I need. It does say what I need for the engine though. I'm using Shell Rotella T4 15W-40 diesel oil btw.

bogieboy 08-05-2019 04:07 PM

it is all the same oil to my knowledge. all fills thru the dipstick/fill hole on the right side of the engine.

dirtbkr188 08-05-2019 06:47 PM

I believe that 125cc engine is a horizontal-style, the engine oil is also the trans lubricant as well,

AUDAN2019 08-06-2019 10:51 AM

[QUOTE=dirtbkr188;315536]You were already told that the engine oil lubricates the transmission right HERE.

Then how come the manual has separate intervals for both the engine and transmission. Every 1000 km for the engine and every 2000 kms for the transmission? I will keep asking the same questions if it means keeping my bike from getting destroyed. Maybe I'll just drive a car instead if the motorcycle community can't be bothered to answer rookie questions. If you have a problem with that then get an administrator to ban me.

JerryHawk250 08-06-2019 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AUDAN2019 (Post 315594)
Then how come the manual has separate intervals for both the engine and transmission. Every 1000 km for the engine and every 2000 kms for the transmission? I will keep asking the same questions if it means keeping my bike from getting destroyed. Maybe I'll just drive a car instead if the motorcycle community can't be bothered to answer rookie questions. If you have a problem with that then get an administrator to ban me. ��

As stated in this thread and the other thread. There is no separate compartment. The transmission and engine use the oil in the base. Just keep using the Shell Rotella T4 15W-40 diesel oil you are already using. Most of the manuals that come with these bike are poorly translated and are useless.

GrandKidsMX 08-06-2019 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AUDAN2019 (Post 315594)
Then how come the manual has separate intervals for both the engine and transmission. Every 1000 km for the engine and every 2000 kms for the transmission? I will keep asking the same questions if it means keeping my bike from getting destroyed. Maybe I'll just drive a car instead if the motorcycle community can't be bothered to answer rookie questions. If you have a problem with that then get an administrator to ban me. ��

Chinese bikes/atvs often have worthless manuals that are filled with misinformation that may not be relevant to your model.

Your bike has a horizontal 4-stroke air-cooled engine just like many others. It only uses oil from one location for all lubrication of the motor (like you were told).

Save your money on oil and just buy the least expensive 10w-40 '4-STROKE' oil you can find (I use Valvoline). Change the oil often and your motor will last a long time.

If you are not a mechanically minded person then expect to have trouble with your China bike as they require more maintenance than a typical Japanese bike.

culcune 08-10-2019 02:21 AM

Taotao are mostly known for their scooters and ATVs which DO use two different oils since scooters and most of their ATVs use CVT (automatic) transmissions. The Hellcat is in the motorcycle family which only uses one kind of oil. The manual, as explained, has a lot of useless information and my guess they tried to streamline the information and mixed up their scooters/ATVs and their motorcycles. I would guess that there are youtube videos specific to the Hellcat and maintenance, including oil changes, but I am sure if you cannot find and and watch aVader 125 video, the process is similar.