ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Zongshen RX3 (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   New Zongshen RX3 (ZS250GY-3) Dual Sport (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=13440)

SpudRider 09-09-2014 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishman10 (Post 172290)
I got on the list. For the first. Container. Blowout pricing. Since I won't see the bike till January. I'm going to pound out a bunch of overtime till then. An of course. I ordered orange Hope. This is not another pitster pro episode

Good for you, Fish. :tup:

There are at least two threads posted on ADVRider concerning the introduction of the RX3 to the United States. :)

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1000180

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1007879

Here are links to several articles concerning the introduction of the RX3 to the United States.

http://www.adventuremotorcycle.com/s...e#.VA64K_ldUrW

http://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/ch...ing-to-the-us/

Here is a link to the California Scooter Company (CSC) Blog concerning the Zongshen RX3.

http://californiascooterco.com/blog/

Wolftrax 09-09-2014 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaharaStorms (Post 170913)
As much as I'd like to see it in the U.S. (If/When) I returned there is maybe even a bigger problem to deal with in selling this bike. No matter how fantastic the bike may be and even if it beat all the statistics and competition, it's biggest barrier is the average biker mentality. Who the heck wants a 250 when they could have a 600? Sure the 250s perks as in fuel efficiency, repairs etc vs a 600 and above make it a great bike. Sure you could do the same thing, pack your luggage and go on the same trips - but sadly most other forums I've been to have motor power at the top of the list. The "bigger is better" mentality would make most bike enthusiasts laugh at the RX3 and call it a beginner bike.

Hey I'm a newbie here and just wanted to weigh in. I went ahead and got on the list here in the US for the RX3. I have toured quite a lot in the US, Canada and Africa. I'm currently planning a ride through the Americas through South America. Overlanding in Africa I learned that faster bigger isn't better. I rarely exceeded 100 kph and found 500 lbs of bike a bit much. My priorities now are dependability,range and comfort, I hope the RX3 will deliver on theses points. The only down side I see in the specs are the wheels. Going to have to set it up with 17" rear and 19" front.:tup:

mmprestine 09-09-2014 08:59 AM

How much is the shipping going to be?

Weldangrind 09-09-2014 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolftrax (Post 172293)
Hey I'm a newbie here and just wanted to weigh in. I went ahead and got on the list here in the US for the RX3. I have toured quite a lot in the US, Canada and Africa. I'm currently planning a ride through the Americas through South America. Overlanding in Africa I learned that faster bigger isn't better. I rarely exceeded 100 kph and found 500 lbs of bike a bit much. My priorities now are dependability,range and comfort, I hope the RX3 will deliver on theses points. The only down side I see in the specs are the wheels. Going to have to set it up with 17" rear and 19" front.:tup:

Welcome!

You sound like a "Long Way Round" rider, which is something I'd love to do. Please feel free to start a new thread about your pending bike, including any research you've done on it, along with any other impressions.

SpudRider 09-09-2014 03:09 PM

Welcome, Wolftrax; we are glad you joined us. :hi: X2 on everything Weld said to you. :)

SpudRider 09-09-2014 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmprestine (Post 172296)

I think the only way to know is to contact CSC, and ask them for a shipping quote to your location. ;)

Ogre81 09-09-2014 03:58 PM

Dang I'm on that list now

Wolftrax 09-09-2014 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmprestine (Post 172296)

Sorry I can't help you,I'm going to do a fly and ride. Delivery is tentatively set for January. Give em a call 800 884 4173

Wolftrax 09-09-2014 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 172304)
Welcome!

You sound like a "Long Way Round" rider, which is something I'd love to do. Please feel free to start a new thread about your pending bike, including any research you've done on it, along with any other impressions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudRider (Post 172327)
Welcome, Woftrax; we are glad you joined us. :hi: X2 on everything Weld said to you. :)

Thanks for the warm welcome. At this point ya'll know as much about this bike as I do. Wish I hadn't wasted so much time learning Spanish and Norwegian, seems all the vids and reviews are in Russian.:hehe:

fishman10 09-09-2014 04:26 PM

zongshen rx3

well my shipping is going to about the most expensive,,,as its coast to coast,,almost $500...if it were.nt for the decent deal they are offering i wouldnt do it..I think that is a little high ,,,an maybe they are trying to make some of their money back

SpudRider 09-09-2014 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishman10 (Post 172342)
well my shipping is going to about the most expensive,,,as its coast to coast,,almost $500...if it were.nt for the decent deal they are offering i wouldnt do it..I think that is a little high ,,,an maybe they are trying to make some of their money back

Actually, that price is not too bad for shipping across the country. I paid $238 to get my Zong shipped from Seattle to Idaho. ;)

I am tempted to get on the list, but I own too many motorcycles already, and one Chinese bike is enough for me. ;) Also, my Zongshen 200GY-2 is running great, and serves me well for the riding I assign to it. :tup:

I now have ridden about 67,000 miles on my Zongshen 200GY-2, recently completing a 5-day ride across Idaho's Magruder Corridor. I will post a ride report soon. :)

http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps76eed1ee.jpg

http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps014fa9a9.jpg

Wolftrax 09-09-2014 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishman10 (Post 172342)

That's not bad. Just did an online quote and it was $744 to Georgia!!

jjn 09-09-2014 05:55 PM

I'd bet mine would win the contest for most expensive shipping. I live near Hilo Hawaii!

Wolftrax 09-09-2014 09:47 PM

Don't know if this has been posted or not. It's the English rebrand.

http://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial.../#.VA-swmBX-uY

http://www.morebikes.co.uk/2014-honl...-250cc-review/

culcune 09-09-2014 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolftrax (Post 172293)
I have toured quite a lot in the US, Canada and Africa. I'm currently planning a ride through the Americas through South America.

I might suggest a SSR XF250, or the XF200, simply because there are quite a few Qingqi outlets south of the US/Mexico border. Come to think of it, the Bashan rep on the thread on mychinamoto.com gave me several brands that Bashan is sold through throughout Central and South America which would even make a Bashan a consideration for a tour.

Then again, you are probably leaving from Georgia, whereas my perspective is here on the Mexican border.

I love the stout engine in my TMEC 200 (Zongshen air-cooled) so I am sold on the idea of an all-out Zongshen liquid-cooled 250cc bike, but I tense up at the thought of fuel-injection on a Chinese bike. Not to scare anyone away...

culcune 09-09-2014 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolftrax (Post 172348)
Just did an online quote and it was $744 to Georgia!!

Wow--$500? $750?

I wonder if these are assembled and PDI'd. I couldn't imagine them wanting to send these in a box and all the hassle that would create, although the shipping would be a heck of a lot less!

Dragon 09-09-2014 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by culcune (Post 172359)
II tense up at the thought of fuel-injection on a Chinese bike. Not to scare anyone away...

Two people, Chinamoto guy and the Uk reviewer, have complain about the EFI on the pre-production bike. I sure hope Zongshen got the bugs worked out.

But the UK reviewer said 90+ mph top speed and smooth engine. Wow!

Weldangrind 09-09-2014 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudRider (Post 172345)
I am tempted to get on the list, but I own too many motorcycles already, and one Chinese bike is enough for me.

That sounds like a challenge to your fellow enablers.

I'll start.

You know you want one, Spud. You deserve one. You should reward yourself with one. Since you don't have a wife, you should have many motorcycles and allow us to live vicariously through you.

Ok, you guys chime in. :D

zingshoen 09-09-2014 11:15 PM

;) maybe another modern chinese legendary classic (MCLC) is coming up here, in the footsteps of the Zongshen 200GY-2? who would want to miss out?

what s my excuse: if it gets to be available in oz at that price, i ll get one, and turn the xl into a classic-trial-only bike.

SpudRider 09-09-2014 11:41 PM

To the best of my knowledge, there is one 'pretender to the throne' for TW200 Mileage King. An Israeli on the TW200 forum claimed to have recorded 120,000 kms (75,000 miles) on his TW200, before he sold it, and moved on to a larger motorcycle. My Zong is rapidly approach 67,000 miles (108,000 kms), so I am getting close to the record. ;) Therefore, I feel it is my duty to continue lavishing affection, and riding time, upon my Zongshen 200GY-2. Acquiring a ZS250GY-3 would draw precious riding time away from my beloved Sierra, and the pursuit of the all-time mileage record. :)

zingshoen 09-10-2014 04:15 AM

you ll catch up with him and leave him far behind! we ll have a forum party when that happens.:clap:

Wolftrax 09-10-2014 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragon (Post 172363)
Two people, Chinamoto guy and the Uk reviewer, have complain about the EFI on the pre-production bike. I sure hope Zongshen got the bugs worked out.

But the UK reviewer said 90+ mph top speed and smooth engine. Wow!

My last 3 bikes have had EFI, Yammy XT1200Z, Husky TR650. and CRF250L. Everyone of them has/had a fueling issue off idle. These bikes are set up extremely lean presumably to pass US emmsion standards. If you blip the throttle just before coming to a stop they stall. I've used spoofers and EFKs to overcome this issue.The best fix is simply just to idle into a stop.I suspect the RX3 is no different.

Wolftrax 09-10-2014 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by culcune (Post 172359)

I love the stout engine in my TMEC 200 (Zongshen air-cooled) so I am sold on the idea of an all-out Zongshen liquid-cooled 250cc bike, but I tense up at the thought of fuel-injection on a Chinese bike. Not to scare anyone away...

Yeah I hear you on this one. The fuel management on this bike is sourced from Delphi, they have US service centers and the manual for this system is in English! This lets me sleep at night.

http://www.huntermotorcycles.com.au/...l%20Manual.pdf

Weldangrind 09-10-2014 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolftrax (Post 172391)
The fuel management on this bike is sourced from Delphi, they have US service centers and the manual for this system is in English!

Excellent news! How did you find that information?

mmprestine 09-10-2014 12:30 PM

It states in the specs of the bike that it uses the US Delphi EFI system. I was quite surprised myself.

mmprestine 09-10-2014 12:37 PM

I have been thinking of selling my TMEC to partially fund one of these. Problem is I really like the new 2015 Husqvarna FE 501.

SpudRider 09-10-2014 04:49 PM

I just got done talking on the telephone with Steve, at CSC Motorcycles. I informed Steve of our thread here at ChinaRiders, and encouraged him to join our discussion. :)

Steve told me CSC is collaborating with Zongshen to produce a readable service manual in English for the RX3. :tup: Since this Zong has a 15-inch rear wheel, I asked Steve if he plans to import knobby tires that size, or if he can possibly get a 17-inch rear wheel for the bike. The Minsk being sold in Europe is reported to have a 17-inch, rear wheel. ;)

Dragon 09-10-2014 05:56 PM

Small wheel is good. Keep seat height low.

Wolftrax 09-10-2014 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudRider (Post 172415)
I just got done talking on the telephone with Steve, at CSC Motorcycles. I informed Steve of our thread here at ChinaRiders, and encouraged him to join our discussion. :)

Steve told me CSC is collaborating with Zongshen to produce a readable service manual in English for the RX3. :tup: Since this Zong has a 15-inch rear wheel, I asked Steve if he plans to import knobby tires that size, or if he can possibly get a 17-inch rear wheel for the bike. The Minsk being sold in Europe is reported to have a 17-inch, rear wheel. ;)

Good deal on the wheels Spud, I'll give him a call tomorrow and pester him to spec the bike with a 17". What did Steve say? :thanks:

fishman10 09-10-2014 09:33 PM

zong rx3

now that is disappointing,,,,i totally missed that......I hope it doesn't come thru with the 15'' rear wheel,,,

culcune 09-10-2014 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolftrax (Post 172391)
Yeah I hear you on this one. The fuel management on this bike is sourced from Delphi, they have US service centers and the manual for this system is in English! This lets me sleep at night.

http://www.huntermotorcycles.com.au/...l%20Manual.pdf

That is good news to read, and your prior post about having fuel-injected bikes with 'issues' also puts it into perspective. I just wish they sold it here with a carb, everything else being equal. Hopefully Delphi can dial these in for owners and I haven't ruled the bike out...

culcune 09-10-2014 10:33 PM

This link was on advrider--it you are in or near socal, you can apparently look at the bike in person, and possibly touch it! Not sure if they are allowing rides

http://www.prlog.org/12369755-csc-an...pen-house.html

Weldangrind 09-11-2014 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by culcune (Post 172423)
That is good news to read, and your prior post about having fuel-injected bikes with 'issues' also puts it into perspective. I just wish they sold it here with a carb, everything else being equal. Hopefully Delphi can dial these in for owners and I haven't ruled the bike out...

If the fuel injection couldn't be tweaked to my liking, I wouldn't hesitate to convert to a carb.

SpudRider 09-11-2014 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolftrax (Post 172420)
Good deal on the wheels Spud, I'll give him a call tomorrow and pester him to spec the bike with a 17". What did Steve say? :thanks:

Steve verified the bike has a 15-inch rear wheel. I encouraged him to ask Zongshen to make the bike with a 17-inch rear wheel. ;) I informed him that knobby tires for a 15-inch rear wheel are virtually impossible to purchase in North America. I told him if he imports the bike with a 15-inch rear wheel, he should also import the knobby rear tires, and he will sell those tires, since he will be the only source.

If I decide to buy one of these bikes, I will build a custom, rear wheel with either a 17-inch, or 18-inch rim laced to the hub with custom spokes. ;)

SpudRider 09-11-2014 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 172432)
If the fuel injection couldn't be tweaked to my liking, I wouldn't hesitate to convert to a carb.

Apparently one version of this bike has a carburetor. I was searching Taobao, and I found parts which are available for either the carbureted, or the fuel injected version. ;)

SpudRider 09-11-2014 02:36 AM

As I stated on page one of this thread, the version of the ZS250-GY3 sold in Russia, the Minski TRX 300i, is reported to have a 17-inch rear wheel. :tup: I found the rear tire size for the Minsk at the following links. ;)

http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=205832
http://www.minsk-moto.com/en/enduro/trx-300i.html

If, indeed, 17-inch rear wheels are available, I hope CSC will tell Zongshen it wants the motorcycles with 17-inch rear wheels. ;)

Wolftrax 09-11-2014 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudRider (Post 172434)

If I decide to buy one of these bikes, I will build a custom, rear wheel with either a 17-inch, or 18-inch rim laced to the hub with custom spokes. ;)

Want to build two?:D

Weldangrind 09-11-2014 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudRider (Post 172435)
Apparently one version of this bike has a carburetor. I was searching Taobao, and I found parts which are available for either the carbureted, or the fuel injected version. ;)

Good news. They'll likely not sell the carb'd version in NA, but at least the config work is done. It would be easy to buy the items from TB and do a conversion.

Again, only if the FI could not be tweaked to one's liking.

Weldangrind 09-11-2014 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudRider (Post 172436)
As I stated on page one of this thread, the version of the ZS250-GY3 sold in Russia, the Minski TRX 300i, is reported to have a 17-inch rear wheel. :tup:

If that's the case, then the 17" wheels are surely available directly from China, which certainly takes work out of the equation.

SpudRider 09-11-2014 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 172444)
If that's the case, then the 17" wheels are surely available directly from China, which certainly takes work out of the equation.

I doubt you can find the 17-inch rear wheels on Taobao. :ohno: If the Minsk truly has a 17-inch rear wheel, I'm confident the Russians specified the change to Zongshen, and the special wheel is only available directly from Zongshen.

One might be able to order the 17-inch rear wheel from Russia, but I would rather build a custom wheel with the strong, excellent custom spokes manufactured by Buchanan's. :) I bet building the custom wheel would be less expensive, as well. ;)