ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Dual Sport/Enduro (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Exhaust Stud Replacement? (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=22512)

davisbm2 11-13-2018 08:14 AM

Exhaust Stud Replacement?

So TXpowersports will NOT warranty this part, even though the bike is 6 months old..

Hopefully I can extract my broken exhaust stud, but I really don't want this happen again.

Can anyone recommend a replacement? I'm not sure where to start. I keep thinking about going to the hardware store, buying a steel threaded rod, and cutting it to length (and I'm sure the threads are metric).

Should I order a new exhaust stud online? If so what is the best option?

ChrisWNY 11-13-2018 09:24 AM

Are you referring to the exhaust mount that is in the lower-middle part of the frame or the the one that holds the muffler in place? Unfortunately TX power sports won't take any responsibility for anything beyond shipping...once you receive your Hawk, you're more or less on your own. That's the one downside of owning a China bike...warranty's are nonexistent. If it's just an exhaust mount, it should be fairly inexpensive to have a new one welded on or use a clamp instead (depending on where it is).

JerryHawk250 11-13-2018 09:31 AM

You can pick up a new stud from your local auto parts. You can remove the broken stud by drilling it and use an easy out. This is what I use to remove broken studs on my truck. works great. https://www.lowes.com/pd/SpeedOut-8-...tor/1000170531

davisbm2 11-13-2018 09:47 AM

Yep, I'm starting to see that with TX Powersports.

Would you guys consider an exhaust stud as an engine component? I argue yes because it literally comes from within the head and without it the engine will not operate correctly... But I suppose I could see as a non-engine part like a turn signal but that seems doubtful.

So just bring my good stud to Autozone and have them get a direct replacement?

I bought some stepped left hand drill bits, hopefully if I work slowly and carefully they should work.

Red Hawk 11-13-2018 11:22 AM

I would strongly caution you to use a milling machine to remove the stud. It would be a 4-5 minute job tops VS a trashed head. You must pull the head to do this.

I just pulled 8 studs on my 53 year old tractor head. They were all to hard to drill on an uneven broken stud. After the 2nd stud let go at 12Ft Lbs on the torque wrench I'd made up my mind.

Replace the stud with a good quality part, not an Ebay Far East one.

If this job goes sideways a time cert sleeve can still save it if the drill walks off.

Pm me if you want to use my mill.

JerryHawk250 11-13-2018 11:33 AM

If all else fails you can do what zippy did. http://chinariders.net/showpost.php?...&postcount=144

davisbm2 11-13-2018 01:21 PM

Thanks for the advice here is my game plan:

1. Drill out the stud using left handed bits

2. If that fails, try to retap the hole to a bigger size using a mill/ press

3. If that fails, drill new holes like zippy using a mill/ press

4. If that fails, sell the bike for like $600 and save up for a 10 year old Japanese Dual Sport

5. If that fails, give up on motorcycles and find a new hobby. Maybe whittling.

JerryHawk250 11-13-2018 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davisbm2 (Post 294250)
Thanks for the advice here is my game plan:

1. Drill out the stud using left handed bits

2. If that fails, try to retap the hole to a bigger size using a mill/ press

3. If that fails, drill new holes like zippy using a mill/ press

4. If that fails, sell the bike for like $600 and save up for a 10 year old Japanese Dual Sport

5. If that fails, give up on motorcycles and find a new hobby. Maybe whittling.

Well lets hope 1,2, or 3 works. lol

llr 11-13-2018 04:28 PM

Left handed bits are a start but you will probably need an easy out too.

Weldangrind 11-14-2018 11:32 AM

I've had the best success with left handed bits by first drilling a small pilot hole using a conventional bit. The left hand bit then just follows the pilot, hogs out a bit of material and hopefully backs the stud right out.

Cravin01 11-14-2018 05:02 PM

Sounds like a good game plan, Also.. Tell yourself you gotta go slow, it could take a long time, and my not work out all that well. That keeps my temperature down when it goes slow, takes a long time and doesn't work out that well. anything other than that is a win.

when you manage to get it fixed you can still whittle on your free time.

Good luck brother!

Ariel Red Hunter 11-14-2018 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davisbm2 (Post 294219)
So TXpowersports will NOT warranty this part, even though the bike is 6 months old..

Hopefully I can extract my broken exhaust stud, but I really don't want this happen again.

Can anyone recommend a replacement? I'm not sure where to start. I keep thinking about going to the hardware store, buying a steel threaded rod, and cutting it to length (and I'm sure the threads are metric).

Should I order a new exhaust stud online? If so what is the best option?

I would forget going the threaded rod route. Made from low quality steel...ARH :hi:

Chinabike 11-16-2018 12:19 AM

found it better just buying a new head

pete 11-16-2018 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter (Post 294337)
I would forget going the threaded rod route. Made from low quality steel...ARH :hi:

ARH..you can buy it in just about every grade known to man kind..
any thing other than mild steel / 250mpa is usaly not a stocked item
in most places..

Ariel Red Hunter 11-16-2018 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete (Post 294385)
ARH..you can buy it in just about every grade known to man kind..
any thing other than mild steel / 250mpa is usaly not a stocked item
in most places..

True. His problem is that the big box stores carry the absolute cheapest quality imaginable. And that is where most people in the States go to look...ARH :cry: