ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Pure Dirt (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   My Apollo 36 250 (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=17384)

Slayder 08-30-2016 04:25 PM

My Apollo 36 250

1 Attachment(s)
Hi everybody,

I'm from Idaho and just picked up a Apollo 36 locally for $800. According to previous owner he only used it for ~150miles. He also installed a Mikuni Clone but left the stock jetting 20/100. Reason for sale =>Bike is too tall.

Things I've done:
1. Replaced the jets with 30/110 needle clip on the bottom. ($15) - I'm around 2700ft elevation.
2. Adjusted Valves a bit looser (0.003" INTAKE and 0.004" EXHAUST).
3. Added thread locker on all bolts per info here.
4. Updated the chain roller. ($15)
5. Changed oil to 15W40 and Brake fluid to DOT4.
6. Cleaned out airbox and sprayed oil on the air filters. Updated airbox on pg3.
7. Deleted the EPA stuff by welding the head exhaust cover shut.
8. Cleaned up the crankcase Vent, running straight down.
9. Rear shock wouldn't hold air, found the schrader valve housing leaking. Replaced the O-ring and added teflon tape, pumped to 120PSI. Changed the rear shock out for an 98 Honda CR250 shock on pg3.
10. Inline fuel filter installed and fuel hoses replaced.

Bike rides really good although I haven't had it out on trails yet. I'm 6'2" - 235lbs and bike's got plenty of power. :tup:

Questions: :hmm:
Has anyone figured out a better airbox solution?
I would like to install a cone type air filter inside but it will require some ingenuity.

Also I would like to raise the rear of the bike, any suggestions?
Maybe a larger rear wheel/tire.

:thanks:

Azhule 08-30-2016 04:35 PM

What did you do/use for the "Chain Roller Update"

Oh, and welcome to the forum :hi:

Slayder 08-30-2016 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azhule (Post 229999)
What did you do/use for the "Chain Roller Update"

Oh, and welcome to the forum :hi:

Installed this roller:

https://www.amazon.com/All-Balls-Hi-.../dp/B003CK5UK0

Thanks

Weldangrind 08-31-2016 11:09 AM

Welcome! Pics in your first post will make you popular around here. :D

You've been very thorough in the prep of your new bike; it should give you many happy miles. Does it have a 19/17 wheel combo? If so, perhaps there's room in the swingarm for an 18". I like the header as well; is it stainless?

Do you have a pic of the stock air box setup?

BlackBike 08-31-2016 01:04 PM

Slayder, sounds like you picked it for a good deal and turned it into a little bad ass trail ripper :tup:

Slayder 09-01-2016 12:13 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 230082)
Welcome! Pics in your first post will make you popular around here. :D

You've been very thorough in the prep of your new bike; it should give you many happy miles. Does it have a 19/17 wheel combo? If so, perhaps there's room in the swingarm for an 18". I like the header as well; is it stainless?

Do you have a pic of the stock air box setup?

Attaching few pictures of the Airbox and potential solution, constructive criticism is welcome. Other ideas are as well.

Header/Exhaust is indeed stainless.

Wheel combo is 21/18, I may fabricate a new link set to raise the rear.

Slayder 09-01-2016 12:17 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Few more pictures of the Roller / Fuel Hoses and Head plug

Weldangrind 09-01-2016 12:19 PM

I get what you're saying with the air box. Rather than a cone filter, you might have better success with a foam pod in there. They do a great job of filtering out fine dust.

Here's my favourite: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-42mm-Ang...ZWcn7M&vxp=mtr

The angle is really handy, but you might be better off with a straight filter. Just search for "42mm pod filter" on eBay. They're cheap enough that you can try both types.
After you have a pod in there, you can likely delete the top air box cover.

Weldangrind 09-01-2016 12:21 PM

Do you have a cat in the header?

Slayder 09-01-2016 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 230221)
Do you have a cat in the header?

I'm not sure, haven't removed the header. It's the same diameter all the way back to exhaust. Have you seen them with cats?

Thank you for the filter link, that should work fine if I can make the reducer inside the airbox.

Weldangrind 09-01-2016 12:26 PM

Yes, most of us have dealt with a cat. It's usually a bulge in the header under the heat shield, but it could also be in a muffler.

Slayder 09-01-2016 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 230225)
Yes, most of us have dealt with a cat. It's usually a bulge in the header under the heat shield, but it could also be in a muffler.

Great, now you got me more work. The wife isn't pleased as is :grr:

Slayder 09-02-2016 09:17 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Took her out and bike did well other then the rear being very hard and the fuel tank mounting bracket broke near the seat. (Easy repair with a few spot welds).
Loosened the spring and lowered pressure to around 60psi, will have to ride and adjust from there.

Also decided to remove the cat, cut the pipe, drilled then removed and Tig welded back together. It sounds much better with the free flowing exhaust. ;)

While I was there decided to raise it by shortening the links, see pictures below. By moving over one hole size I gained 2-1/2" at the rear. Overall height at lowest point of seat is now at 35" and it feels much better. Changing the links alowed me to lube the lower bearings.

Weldangrind 09-06-2016 11:08 AM

Nice work on the link. Any pics of the catectomy?

Slayder 09-06-2016 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 230544)
Nice work on the link. Any pics of the catectomy?

Didn't get any pics of the process, hardest part was removing the core. Having to drill multiple holes to compress it and slide it out.

In the mean time, I've preloaded front fork springs by adding 3/8" thick nuts and replaced the oil with 15W.

Ordered an 98 CR250 rear shock because rear shock on the apollo is very hard and beats you up on long rough trails. Found another thread where a CR250 shock was used. http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?p=210237

(I choose the 97-00 rear shock because it was a little shorter then 01-04)
New top mount will need to be fabricated either way, will post pictures of the process.

Hopefully someone can chime in on front forks replacements that fit.