ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   New Member Introductions (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   New rider from South Carolina (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=19045)

Heedehcheenuh 05-13-2017 01:14 PM

New rider from South Carolina

Just purchased the Tao Tao Powermax VIP 150cc 157QMJ. Old retired disabled veteran (1984-1987 USAF) from South Carolina USA just west of I-95 and right on the border of North Carolina. Been trying to get into scooters So far she is real good. I am still breaking her in but have hit upwards of 53-58 mph when doing a top speed hit. I do the old hit and run then ride low rpm slow runs. I have used the Rotella oil for the heat range and performance (being air cooled). I am getting ready to replace the plug and may even remove the air box to go cold air then add an after market exhaust.
I need to run 60 mph up hill with out killing the little GY6 so my goal is to have it top out 70-75 mph top speed.
I will not run those top speeds but need the power band to carry the scooter at 60 mph while having throttle to ride with. I live 8 miles between towns and those are 55 mph highways that I will have to run. I do not want to be a rolling road block :lmao: . As an old hot rod builder I am looking into gears and tire ratios for the speed. Motor tweaks will be small and minor. I do not want to go quick but get to top speed and be fast. Being these things are fast out of the hole on take off I can give a lot of that back for some good top speed.

Chime in and give me pointers.

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....

hertz9753 05-13-2017 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heedehcheenuh (Post 255702)
Just purchased the Tao Tao Powermax VIP 150cc 157QMJ. Old retired disabled veteran (1984-1987 USAF) from South Carolina USA just west of I-95 and right on the border of North Carolina. Been trying to get into scooters So far she is real good. I am still breaking her in but have hit upwards of 53-58 mph when doing a top speed hit. I do the old hit and run then ride low rpm slow runs. I have used the Rotella oil for the heat range and performance (being air cooled). I am getting ready to replace the plug and may even remove the air box to go cold air then add an after market exhaust.
I need to run 60 mph up hill with out killing the little GY6 so my goal is to have it top out 70-75 mph top speed.
I will not run those top speeds but need the power band to carry the scooter at 60 mph while having throttle to ride with. I live 8 miles between towns and those are 55 mph highways that I will have to run. I do not want to be a rolling road block :lmao: . As an old hot rod builder I am looking into gears and tire ratios for the speed. Motor tweaks will be small and minor. I do not want to go quick but get to top speed and be fast. Being these things are fast out of the hole on take off I can give a lot of that back for some good top speed.

Chime in and give me pointers.

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....

Chuck I'm pretty sure I know you from a computer forum. :hi:

Heedehcheenuh 05-13-2017 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hertz9753 (Post 255725)

Yes you do. This will let my computers fold now I have another hobby lol trying to have fun with this scoot and customize it just to have something to do.

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....
:tup:

culcune 05-14-2017 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hertz9753 (Post 255725)

Advrider is where I recognize him from

Welcome to here Heedehcheenuh! :tup:

Heedehcheenuh 05-14-2017 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by culcune (Post 255747)
Advrider is where I recognize him from

Welcome to here Heedehcheenuh! :tup:

Yep the same me. Looking for all the forums to get knowledge from. "Knowledge is power!" lol

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....

culcune 05-14-2017 09:28 AM

This forum will get you quite a lot of knowledge. Have you joined http://49ccscoot.proboards.com/ ? Probably the best scooter specific site as several members have sorted out the Chinese scooters and are getting ungodly amounts of power out of them. And don't let the name 'fool' you as it includes all size engines...

Heedehcheenuh 05-14-2017 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by culcune (Post 255759)
This forum will get you quite a lot of knowledge. Have you joined http://49ccscoot.proboards.com/ ? Probably the best scooter specific site as several members have sorted out the Chinese scooters and are getting ungodly amounts of power out of them. And don't let the name 'fool' you as it includes all size engines...

Just signed up. Like I said "Knowledge!" Thanks.

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....

ben2go 05-14-2017 03:26 PM

Welcome from the upstate.

I'm on advrider. Same user name.

Weldangrind 05-15-2017 12:57 PM

Welcome! Thanks for joining us.

Heedehcheenuh 05-20-2017 04:50 PM

Changed the plug to the NGK and she runs a little stronger. Rode her Weds. on a 19 mile round trip and she made me sore a little for a day or two. But that is me not the bike. So my plans now are to get her broke in and find the gear ratio i want 15-16-17/36 to get the top speed needed. I want to keep the motor stock until time for a rebuild but will do the variator/belt/plug(Iridium)/exhaust/gear and cold air intake. Just get those gears first the tweak the variator to that sweet spot I need.

My old butt needs to get out and ride to get her broke in good.

Heedehcheenuh

Chuck D

Rid on.....

Heedehcheenuh 05-23-2017 03:27 PM

Latest update. She is running fine. Found the tires needed to help the top speed 110/90/12 Michelin City Grips. Front tire but will use front and rear. The gears i have yet to decide on but getting to the selection will be fun. I want to have the gears/tires set up to get the motor in the sweet spot power range. then adjust variator weight rollers/sliders so i can ride around 6500-7500 rpm 55-60 mph (GPS).

Currently she runs:
2500-3000 rpm for take off
4000-5000 rpm for 25-35 mph (GPS)
8000-9000 rpm for 50-60 mph (GPS)
My 60 mph run was done tucked and grinning lol.

Chinese speedo showed 65-70 mph and i know that was not right. lol Wife followed me and she said she was running 56 mph and my gps showed 53 mph. (2013 Dodge Dart and it just could keep up with me lol j/k)

Chime in and have fun...
Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....

BlackBike 05-23-2017 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heedehcheenuh (Post 256870)
Latest update. She is running fine. Found the tires needed to help the top speed 110/90/12 Michelin City Grips. Front tire but will use front and rear. The gears i have yet to decide on but getting to the selection will be fun. I want to have the gears/tires set up to get the motor in the sweet spot power range. then adjust variator weight rollers/sliders so i can ride around 6500-7500 rpm 55-60 mph (GPS).

Currently she runs:
2500-3000 rpm for take off
4000-5000 rpm for 25-35 mph (GPS)
8000-9000 rpm for 50-60 mph (GPS)
My 60 mph run was done tucked and grinning lol.

Chinese speedo showed 65-70 mph and i know that was not right. lol Wife followed me and she said she was running 56 mph and my gps showed 53 mph. (2013 Dodge Dart and it just could keep up with me lol j/k)

Chime in and have fun...
Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....

Your first assignment...point it in any direction at 55mph for 8 hrs and see how far it takes you:D

Motel 6 will leave the light on for you http://www.san-simeon-lodging.com/im...ia_Motel_6.jpg

Heedehcheenuh 05-23-2017 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackBike (Post 256872)
Your first assignment...point it in any direction at 55mph for 8 hrs and see how far it takes you:D

Motel 6 will leave the light on for you http://www.san-simeon-lodging.com/im...ia_Motel_6.jpg

That is my plan..but my old body might not take it lol. I hope to make a run from home to the smokey mountains and survive. My R.A. (Rheumatoid Arthritis) is what holds me back truthfully but I am still young at heart and will try. I would be looking at a 4 hr ride min. from McColl S.C. to Cherokee N.C. if I am lucky 4 hr. I figure 6-8 hrs with breaks, fuel and grub. :lmao:

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....

dpl096 05-23-2017 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackBike (Post 256872)

Well done BB

BlackBike 05-24-2017 12:29 AM

That's great to hear heed...get those buckets filled while you still can. And of course don't over do it. Object is to enjoy the ride! Be careful too.