ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Dual Sport/Enduro (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Hawk Front Wheel Grinding (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=16883)

NickThrash 06-17-2016 09:17 PM

Hawk Front Wheel Grinding

1 Attachment(s)
Back again with need of more help :ohno:... i have this slight grinding noise coming from the front wheel and i thought it was grinding on the brake pads but when i took a look the rotor is grinding against the mount that holds the break pads and i cant see any way of adjusting the position of it or have a clue of what to do

i took a photo of it

http://i.imgur.com/ldVna19.jpg

Attachment 6393

NickThrash 06-17-2016 09:20 PM

Also i forgot to mention; the grinding sound only seems to come at low speeds mostly if im dragging it in neutral or sometimes, sporadically at 1st or 2nd gear

Eldric1 06-17-2016 11:02 PM

Looks like you don't have the right spacer.

Adjuster 06-18-2016 07:44 AM

It looks like your rotor is in the wrong position. It looks like you have the rotor between the brake pad and the mount somehow. The rotor should be between the two brake pads. I think you just need to reassemble the front wheel and front brake correctly and hopefully problem solved.

/

Adjuster 06-18-2016 07:50 AM

The more I look at it that is the strangest problem I have ever seen. If the rotor is between the two brake pads as it should be there is no way it could leave that scrape mark. Something really weird is happening here. Something is not assembled correctly. It looks like the mounting plate is somehow between the brake piston and the brake pad???

/

NickThrash 06-18-2016 11:21 AM

i have the rotor between the pads and the breaks work fine. the rotor for some reason reaches that mount piece and grinds on it and i have no clue what to adjust to give it space

Torgo 06-18-2016 12:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The only way I can see this happening is if the bearing (spacer) was not installed on the caliper side of the axle, and then the fork would have to have some rotation at the pinch bolts to allow the rotor to fit between the pads and yet still make contact with the bracket.

Weldangrind 06-18-2016 02:08 PM

I agree with Torgo.

Ariel Red Hunter 06-18-2016 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 221599)
I agree with Torgo.

And so do I. :ohno:

NickThrash 06-18-2016 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torgo (Post 221586)
The only way I can see this happening is if the bearing (spacer) was not installed on the caliper side of the axle, and then the fork would have to have some rotation at the pinch bolts to allow the rotor to fit between the pads and yet still make contact with the bracket.

Good call.... im an idiot :doh::doh::doh::doh:
lol

Thanks man! :thanks:

Adjuster 06-18-2016 03:56 PM

Glad you have it worked out. I look at all these little goofs as learning experiences.

/

NickThrash 06-19-2016 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adjuster (Post 221619)
Glad you have it worked out. I look at all these little goofs as learning experiences.

/

totally agree. one of the reasons i bought a bike. ive said on here before i've never owned a bike before and only have worked on cars. and thought a bike would be cool to ride/learn to ride while also learning how to work on one would be a cool/fun skill to learn and at the price the Hawk was i couldnt resist

pete 06-19-2016 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adjuster (Post 221564)
The more I look at it that is the strangest problem I have ever seen. If the rotor is between the two brake pads as it should be there is no way it could leave that scrape mark.

/

The caliper slides on it's pins...
If it diddn't only the brake pad on the piston side
would be working...

Weldangrind 06-19-2016 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickThrash (Post 221616)
Good call.... im an idiot :doh::doh::doh::doh:
lol

Thanks man! :thanks:

We all started somewhere. Thanks for posting the pic and asking the question. It generates good discussion, and you never know who'll benefit.

blackhawkdown 11-02-2016 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 221711)
We all started somewhere. Thanks for posting the pic and asking the question. It generates good discussion, and you never know who'll benefit.

^^^(Guess I am that guy!) I'm now 1 step closer to getting my hawk airborne thanks to this thread thank you gentlemen. I love searching old threads and stumbling on some gold like this!

:thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks: