ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   New Member Introductions (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   New from New Jersey (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=18497)

rwl6935 03-16-2017 09:05 AM

New from New Jersey

Hey guys,

Just purchased a hawk 250 yesterday from power sports max. I plan to register the bike and use it to get to trails a few towns over. It just dawned on me last night... can I register this bike in my state? Has anyone had any issues registering these bike in New Jersey?

Any advice / info would be appreciated
Thanks, Bob

Sport Rider 03-16-2017 09:10 AM

welcome!

not sure about NJ. there's another thread though with states which it's been done. do a search for that one. otherwise, just go give it a try and report back to us. worst case they say no and you can go the route of registering it in Idaho like I did. :)

JerryHawk250 03-16-2017 09:14 AM

Here's a list I have so far. Hope we can add NJ.

1. Louisiana- Successful. - Notarized MCO , Bill of Sale & Odometer Disclosure Statement. Proof of Insurance.
2. Texas- Successful.
3. Georgia - Successful. - Varies from county to county, for more info http://www.chinariders.net/showpost....7&postcount=74. IMO the Vin Tag Helped
4. Alabama- Successful.
5. Michigan- Successful.
6. South Carolina- Successful.
7. Minnesota Successful. -MCO, BILL OF SALE, engine number
8. Oregon Successful.
9. Oklahoma- Successful. -
10. Florida- Successful - MCO and Bill of Sale
11. Vermont- Successful -Bill Of Sale or Invoice. MCO not needed
12. New York- Successful
13. New Hampshire- Successful - for more info http://chinariders.net/showpost.php?...97&postcount=1
14. North Carolina- Successful - MCO , Bill of Sale & Proof of Insurance.
15. Arizona- Successful -MCO, bill of sale, visual inspection at the Arizona Motor Vehicles Division
16. North Dakota- Successful - MCO and invoice with purchase price
17. Pennsylvania- Successful
18. North Carolina- Successful
19. Ohio- Successful
20. Arkansas- Successful
21. Nebraska- Successful
22. Wisconsin- Successful
23. Massachusetts- Successful
24. Illinois- Successful

Sport Rider 03-16-2017 09:19 AM

here's the thread too:
http://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=17919

JerryHawk250 03-16-2017 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sport Rider (Post 247195)
welcome!

not sure about NJ. there's another thread though with states which it's been done. do a search for that one. otherwise, just go give it a try and report back to us. worst case they say no and you can go the route of registering it in Idaho like I did. :)

Looks like I need to add Idaho.

rwl6935 03-16-2017 09:25 AM

Follow up

Hey guys,

I just received a response back from PMS regarding my registration question.

" Hi Bob,

It can be registered in New Jersey. After you receive the unit,you can request the title online.Here is the link.

http://www.powersportsmax.com/mso_request.php

Regards
Customer Service Team
Maxpro LLC
http://www.powersportsmax.com/
Fax: 1-626-602-3961
Phone: 1-888-473-9826
On Wed, 15 Mar at 8:55 PM , Bob L. <rwl6935@hotmail.com> wrote:
Hi, do you know if I will be able to register this bike in New Jersey?

http://www.powersportsmax.com/mso_request.php "

rwl6935 03-16-2017 09:31 AM

Thanks for the welcome!

Thanks guys!

If you read the response I posted from PMS the person says " if you need a title go here".

You'd think the bikes would come with a title for the very reason I'm asking him about.

Oui

JerryHawk250 03-16-2017 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwl6935 (Post 247205)
Thanks guys!

If you read the response I posted from PMS the person says " if you need a title go here".

You'd think the bikes would come with a title for the very reason I'm asking him about.

Oui

They will send you the MCO. You will still have to go to your DMV to get the title, registration and tag.

JerryHawk250 03-16-2017 10:18 AM

Make sure the MCO states Motorcycle and not off-road. Engine size needs to be listed as 229cc and not HP. I personally didn't have any issues with it listed as 15 HP but other have.

pistolclass 03-16-2017 09:31 PM

VT does not care where you live, just that you have $120. If NJ doesn't want your money VT does.

rwl6935 03-17-2017 08:33 AM

Thanks!

Thanks for the advice!

I called the dealer in California and he assures me that nj will register the bike. As per New Jersey DMV website the bike has to either be on their approved list or have the appropriate EPA tags etc. I'll post what happens once I find out.

Thanks again

culcune 03-17-2017 08:58 AM

Crap--you will most likely NOT be able to register the Hawk in New Jersey. I hope, for your sake, that they are now carrying the Enforcer, and sent you one of those (commonly called the Chinese switcheroo as some members have ordered bikes, and a very similar one arrived--ok, I made up the name, but the switch has and does happen). The Hawk is not on the DOT list (FMVSS list or called something like that). I really and truly hope I am wrong, and the Hawk can be registered, but like I said, since NJ is one of a few states who go strictly off that list from the EPA/DOT, and the Hawk is not on that list (it is technically an off-road motorcycles as classified by the EPA) NJ might just be a no-go. Again, let's hope that is not the case!!

Call up Powersportsmax and get firm with them. Tell them your plans to street register your bike, and you checked and the Hawk is a no-go. You will want an Enforcer instead, if they have those. From what I understand, the Hawk is 49 state legal as an off-road bike (Californians need not apply), so don't let Powersportsmax use that loophole i.e. "you never said you planned to street register the bike". Hopefully, NJ has some consumer protection laws like New York to argue with for your case. California does, so don't hesitate to contact the BBB of California.

manny 03-18-2017 11:22 AM

It will be interesting to see if you really can register a Hawk in NJ...I know it has been done in the past, but according to Don at American Product Sales Center (APSC), NJ has banned them effective January of this year. I hope not for your sakeand he has been wrong before, soooooo, good luck!!

culcune 03-18-2017 07:31 PM

He is a salesperson, and from what I can tell, he and Adam Renkleff from RPS had a falling out, so he is probably indirectly badmouthing the Hawks to move the Enforcer. NJ most likely never allowed one of the Hawks or Magicians to be registered simply because they only register bikes that show up on the FMVSS list--the list of cars and other vehicles that are EPA/DOT certified as on-highway vehicles. Pennsylvania goes off the same list. There seems to be no way around it if you want a NJ plate. A recent member had to go the N.Dakota route to register his Pitster Pro enduro. He is a retired cop, and planned to ride primarily off-road, so figured he might be able to get away with it; he is not riding all the time, either. As far as I can tell, the Hawk and Magician are EPA certified as an 'off-highway' vehicle in 49 states, which is probably the loophole the salesperson at Powersportsmax used rather than calling the customer, but enough be being negative--maybe there really is a loophole of sorts?! Let's hope!! :tup:

hertz9753 03-18-2017 08:27 PM

I remember somebody sending the paper work to South Dakota to get a title, registration and a plate.

rwl6935 03-18-2017 11:46 PM

Oui... I hope I can register the bike here, otherwise it's a brick to me. I'm buying an enduro so I don't have to lug a dirt bike around.

The bike is in transit and will be here Tuesday. I'm half tempted to reject the shipment. The sale guy said that I should have no issue registering it here, but was probably just telling me what o wanted to hear. I think I'm going to take a ride to the DMV on Monday to find out.

Does the the mco or title say for off road use only? What differentiates the hawk from other street legal enduros?

Thanks

rwl6935 03-19-2017 12:26 AM

I just looked up the enforcer 250. Both bikes look identical. Are they manufactured by the same company?

hertz9753 03-19-2017 12:30 AM

The MCO should have Motorcycle and not Off-Road. The MCO doesn't come with the bike, it is mailed to you after you sign for it. It is a safety thing.

old kid 03-19-2017 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwl6935 (Post 247702)
Oui... I hope I can register the bike here, otherwise it's a brick to me. I'm buying an enduro so I don't have to lug a dirt bike around.

The bike is in transit and will be here Tuesday. I'm half tempted to reject the shipment. The sale guy said that I should have no issue registering it here, but was probably just telling me what o wanted to hear. I think I'm going to take a ride to the DMV on Monday to find out.

Does the the mco or title say for off road use only? What differentiates the hawk from other street legal enduros?

Thanks

you should be ok the MCO will list it as a motorcycle, and if they want to do a walk around the EPA sticker is on it you should be ok.... if not make a quick run north to vermont,,, those folks up there will register and title a wheelbarrow as long as your willing to pay the fee. then you simply transfer it to your home state once you get it back from them,,, i may or may not have had to do this in the past with other vehicles,,:D

Biker_Andy 03-19-2017 01:52 AM

All Chinese bikes are very similar with only subtle differences between any of them. Unfortunately to the DMV its all about what the official paperwork says. When an importer brings in any new bike they need to pay a lot of money to get it certified and pass various levels of inspections. This cost money and takes a lot of time. It's much cheaper and quicker to list the model as an off-road bike because you don't need to pay to have it DOT inspected. Lifan got sued a few years back for bringing in I believe street bikes and saying they were off-road bikes so they could skip the inspection process. When the bikes ended up on the street through various loopholes as mentioned above the government decided to sue the manufacturer because they wouldn't pass emission tests (not required for off-road vehicles). This was see as a huge setback to Chinese manufactures at the time and speculation was that some may never import bikes to the US again. There seems to be more bikes available now then ever so if there was a minor setback it must have ran its course already.

culcune 03-19-2017 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwl6935 (Post 247702)

The bike is in transit and will be here Tuesday. I'm half tempted to reject the shipment. The sale guy said that I should have no issue registering it here, but was probably just telling me what o wanted to hear.

The problem, as I mentioned before, is that NJ is one of the few states that strictly go off the FMVSS list for registering vehicles. For whatever reason, RPS has not gone through EPA/DOT certification, but rather goes through EPA Off-Road certification. It is certified as an off-road motorcycle for 49 states, even though the Hawk has full street equipment. In fact, the more streetable Magician also sold by RPS that has the same engine is also certified as an off-road only motorcycle. I would suggest to reject the shipment!

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwl6935 (Post 247714)
I just looked up the enforcer 250. Both bikes look identical. Are they manufactured by the same company?

They are not manufactured by the same company. China has long been accused of copying designs, but I think the case here, as with many lookalike bikes, is that all it takes to be legally a 'manufacturer' is to buy parts from suppliers and slap manufacturer plates on your bikes. The Enforcer is manufactured by Bashan and is 49 state certified by the EPA/DOT as an on-highway motorcycle. That bike and manufacturer WILL be in NJ's list since they get their list from the federal FMVSS list.

Here is a thread by a fellow NJ resident. His intentions were primarily off-road, and he does not ride it daily, so he is using a loophole. Read through his posts--it does not look good for the Hawk, so either you reject the order, or use his loophole. Even converting an out of state registration transferring to NJ will probably not work. I would suggest to get an Enforcer.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=18289

rwl6935 03-19-2017 10:47 AM

Rejection of shipment

Guys, thanks so much for your input. Why does everything have to be so difficult? I think I'm going to reject the shipment based on the fact the the bike can't be registered here in New Jersey. What a shame too, the hawk looks like a good bike.

... Anyway, I put it on my credit card. I'm hoping that I don't get any crap from the dealer about refusing the shipment. Do you guys think I should call the shipping company and tell them on Monday or just reject it when it gets Here on Tuesday?

Anyone ever look into this bike ? I like the USD forks and from what theyre saying it's 49 state street legal.

https://www.powerrideoutlet.com/dirt...abs_faq_tabbed

Thanks

rwl6935 03-19-2017 11:06 AM

Anyone know the actual names of the companies who manufacture all these Chinese bikes? A list would be helpful when shopping for a Chinese bike. That way you could look on your state DMV approved list to avoid all the hassel...Life would be so much easier.

I started looking into this bike which says it's 49 state legal, but don't see the manufacturer name on New Jersey's DMV approved list.

culcune 03-19-2017 12:02 PM

That bike is a Bashan, but of course it has a longer, fancy, formal name. I would try the Enforcer if I was you, since it is a Bashan, and 49 state legal like the bike you linked. The photo you linked to is the Brozz (the one that everyone seems to be ordering this past week!). A few members have reported that Powerrideoutlet has not been answering their phone or returning emails.

The formal name for Bashan according to the U.S. is CHONGQING ASTRONAUTICAL BASHAN MOTORCYCLE

The formal name for Haosen (Hawk's manufacturer) is CHONGQING HAOSEN MOTORCYCLE CO, LTD

manny 03-19-2017 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwl6935 (Post 247749)
Guys, thanks so much for your input. Why does everything have to be so difficult? I think I'm going to reject the shipment based on the fact the the bike can't be registered here in New Jersey. What a shame too, the hawk looks like a good bike.

... Anyway, I put it on my credit card. I'm hoping that I don't get any crap from the dealer about refusing the shipment. Do you guys think I should call the shipping company and tell them on Monday or just reject it when it gets Here on Tuesday?

Anyone ever look into this bike ? I like the USD forks and from what theyre saying it's 49 state street legal.

Thanks

I would call motor vehicle dep't. first thing Monday morning and verify that you can not register the Hawk there, and get the name of who you talk to at MV, then call the dealer and tell them you want to cancel the sale because they gave you false info, and then call your credit card and tell them the same. Let the dealer worry about dealing with the freight company.

rwl6935 03-19-2017 05:25 PM

That's exactly what I'm going to do. I just hope this doesn't turn into a fiasco.

culcune 03-19-2017 05:43 PM

It could (and should) simply be an issue of shipping the Hawk back and having them send a Brozz instead. THEY messed up (their sales guy) since they have been in this industry for quite a while and should know which bikes are allowed in which states. California is easy for the most part, since virtually nothing but 50cc scooters and a few 150cc scooters, and very, very few others, are CARB legal (there are quite a few off-road legal bikes that are CARB certified) but New Jersey and Penn. are two states (I know there are few more) that will only go off the NHTSA on-highway list. That includes everything that is 49 state legal, such as the current lineup of Bashan enduro bikes. I would be demanding since they are based in California and California is VERY consumer friendly--you have recourse you can take if they give you a hard time.

I am thinking of a solution that will benefit both of you since you already paid them, and they will not want to hassle refunding you.

hertz9753 03-19-2017 06:38 PM

If I paid shipping for a motorcycle and also got charged for the return shipping because the buyer decided they didn't want, I think I would want some form of payment.

manny 03-19-2017 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hertz9753 (Post 247794)
If I paid shipping for a motorcycle and also got charged for the return shipping because the buyer decided they didn't want, I think I would want some form of payment.

It's not a case of buyer not wanting it...It's a case of buyer not being able to license it when they were told they could. And the buyer bought it from a business that should know what they are doing. Some people wouldn't care, but apparently this buyer wants to ride it on the road legally, and shouldn't have to jump through hoops registering it in another state. That's how I see it anyways. And if the business handles it right they might be able to sell him something different and make up the loss. Businesses expect that kind of expense. It happens. All part of retail....

hertz9753 03-19-2017 08:51 PM

I am not trying to stir up trouble. I have worked in retail for over 30 years and I know what it involves.

culcune 03-19-2017 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hertz9753 (Post 247794)

Like what Manny stated...

However, if he wants the Brozz, it is listed for more regardless. They could probably figure out a way to make up for the shipping, somehow, while charging him for the difference between the Hawk and the Brozz. That would be better than not making a sale and eating the round-trip shipping cost on top of that. But, these retailers should know by now what they are dealing with. I know if I was a retailer and carried the Hawk, right after going through all the mumbo jumbo, I would have my customers sign a disclaimer about something to the effect that they acknowledge they know the bike is an off-road bike (same with the Magician). And, if I carried other brands, like 49-state street legal Bashans, and my customers were concerned about street plating their enduro (before signing the disclaimer), I would steer them to the ones that are guaranteed to be registered.

I remember the OTHER Manny, the one who owns TXPowersports, chimed in publicly and tried to tell that one member he should have seen the disclaimer (a few months back on another thread). I put in my two cents that as a dealer, and you carry the Hawk, you should make sure your customer understands what they are buying. Plus, TXpowersports carries 49 state legal bikes as well. http://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=17545

I can kind of see Don of ASPCUSA's point of view (assuming the hearsay is accurate) regarding him not selling the Hawk anymore.

rwl6935 03-19-2017 09:18 PM

Yeah, I was thinking that they may try to get me on the shipping both ways. If that's the case I'll just keep it since shipping was over $300 on direction.

I called my credit card and told them what was going on. The credit card company says to get it in writing regarding the seller stating that I should have no problem registering the bIke which I do have via his emails. The cc rep also said that the charge has not been process as off yet, it's pending, so I assume that means that maybe the seller is anticipating me rejecting the shipment.

I'm going to run over to the DMV tomorrow and talk to them about it first and then, if the DMV say nada I'll call the seller and get them to do something, refund, another bike etc

I've got better things to do rather than go through this nonsense when the seller knows damn well what's up and could have saved us both the heartache, but instead is just interested in unloading their goods.

I'll know tomorrow
Thanks!

culcune 03-19-2017 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwl6935 (Post 247816)
but instead is just interested in unloading their goods.

You would be surprised that as large as these places look based on their website, they are drop-shipping most of their product; I know they do that with the Brozz, and my guess is also with the Hawk.

rwl6935 03-19-2017 09:28 PM

Culcune, I don't understand why the manufacturers just don't apply for dot approval. From the look of it and from what I've read it doesn't look like a hugh undertaking to make it happen, but I may be wrong.

As far as power sports max goes... I email them and spoke to them on the phone regarding the registration issue and was assured that there shouldn't be a problem and this was all before it was shipped, so they really don't have a leg to stand on here. I'm sure this isn't the first time this has happened, so you'd think they'd know better.

culcune 03-19-2017 10:05 PM

There are many more steps involved, but one has to go through steps to get off-road certification, and the bikes are already equipped with full street lighting (both the Hawk and the Magician), so it must have to do with some kind of manufacturing shortcut in the engine that won't allow it to ever pass is my guess. To go with a completely new engine would make them start over from scratch. It is a lengthy process from scratch, too, so they would lose over a year of sales if they went that route. Heck, for all we know, they are in the process as we speak?! We can collectively cross our fingers that this is the case! In the meantime, they keep selling the off-road bikes?! Having lived in AZ for so long, I guess I take it for granted being able to street plate a multitude of vehicles, and there are many states like Arizona, so maybe Haosen couldn't care less and will keep selling them like this? As much as I appreciate the street legal bikes, and desire a Brozz, I do find myself desiring the project-in-a-box that the Hawk is. I like the thought of taking a 'raw' bike that is not 'supposed' to be on the street and putting it on the street, and upgrading things like the sprockets and the carb. I wish to ride one to Cabo San Lucas from Yuma via the Baja peninsula, at least before I possibly move out of Yuma and back to California in the next few months.

rwl6935 03-19-2017 10:36 PM

I'm a tinker myself. I've restored a boat load of classic cars and motorcycles over the years. It's been a while since I had a dirt bike, so what better way to scratch both itches than with a kit dirt bike, if you will. I like the fact that you can jump on an enduro, go down the street and you see a trail take it.

I was hoping to start putting the bike together this week...
I'll find out tomorrow whether or not that's gonna happen pending the DMV visit.

By the way, I wish I lived in Arizona, it's a beautiful place.

manny 03-19-2017 10:40 PM

There's a good chance it hasn't even shipped yet, especially if your CC hasn't gone thru yet. With all the storms this week it could very well be sitting on a dock waiting to go, so if you get on it very first thing tomorrow am that would be smart. They DO drop ship most of these so that's another factor.

My Enforcer was supposed to ship Friday but I doubt it did.

manny 03-19-2017 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwl6935 (Post 247832)
I'm a tinker myself. I've restored a boat load of classic cars and motorcycles over the years. It's been a while since I had a dirt bike, so what better way to scratch both itches than with a kit dirt bike, if you will. I like the fact that you can jump on an enduro, go down the street and you see a trail take it.

I was hoping to start putting the bike together this week...
I'll find out tomorrow whether or not that's gonna happen pending the DMV visit.

By the way, I wish I lived in Arizona, it's a beautiful place.

Same here. I haven't even been on a motorcycle in many years. I do have an ATV but have the itch for a bike, and I also like the idea of being able to drive a few miles on the road to get to different trails, or maybe even run a few errands on a nice day. And for the price, it should be a fun inexpensive hobby...

rwl6935 03-19-2017 11:06 PM

Manny, the shipping company called me on Friday and said they'll be here on Tuesday.

rwl6935 03-20-2017 09:54 PM

Here's what happening in the hawk registration saga.

Went to DMV this morning and asked them about registering the bike. The lady was somewhat confused at first. She took out the list of manufacturers and said there's so many chongqing's on here (lol) and then asked me for the title. I just got done explaining to her the entire story about me not having the title yet not 5 minutes before, but I guess she wasn't listening... so I repeat the story a second time. She says if it's not on the list it's not getting a plate, which I already knew. When I got out to the car I called power sports max and told them what the DMV just told me. The rep says that if I want to cancel I'd have to eat the shipping in both directions. (That's almost $700!) I went on to tell the rep that the very next day after I purchased the bike I sent an email and called them to verify that the bike can be registered, which they told me it could. The reps reply was for me to write another email explaining the situation again. I was like wtf! I'm on the phone explaining the situation AGAIN!. This to me was another stall tactic. I said ok I'll do that, so I wrote another email and got zero response back after 4hours of waiting, so I called again and explain myself again! The rep said she'd send the complaint to the registration department... i.e. The old 86 it (trash can).

I even told them that I'd buy another bike, but got no response on that.

... bottom line this. That place sucks (power sports max). I wouldn't buy sh*t from them. The customer service is terrible. Even after they're screw up they still refuse to take responsibility is just BS.

The bike is coming tomorrow whether I like it or not, so I'm going to try to register it and dispute the charge on my credit card and will report them to the BBB in their state all at the same time. Why I'm doing it that way is because I think there's a time limit on starting cc disputes. If my state allows me to register the bike I'll drop the dispute otherwise f*ck em.

I'm sorry but I'm pissed!