ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Dual Sport/Enduro (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   DB-36 Starts fine with Kick Start- Electric only makes a "tap" sound (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=32792)

kp250 05-30-2023 08:02 PM

DB-36 Starts fine with Kick Start- Electric only makes a "tap" sound

DB-36

I can kick start the bike fine- it takes a while to warm up and idle by itself but it gets going. However when I try to use the electric start I just hear a "pop" or "tap" sound. I have replaced the battery twice- now running an expensive NLP5 lithium battery which is fully charged. I hold clutch in, kickstand up. The electric start has always been difficult but has gotten worse to the point it doesnt go at all.

Any thoughts on why I cant get it to turn over even with a fully charged battery?

I purchased this bike in Jan 2023- I have ridden it 3 times total and its great once I get it going. I do have some overflow fuel (has to be drained after each ride or it wont start)

buzz 05-30-2023 08:26 PM

Sounds like you need a new starter,Thats where i would start.

Megadan 05-30-2023 08:44 PM

1 of 2 things..

Starter relay or the battery is just a hair too weak to turn the starter. It may show the right voltage, but if there is too much internal resistance in the cells it won't deliver enough amps to crank it over.

kp250 05-30-2023 09:25 PM

Thanks Dan, where is the starter relay? Just bought this bike a few months ago- hope its not that.

Megadan 05-30-2023 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kp250 (Post 395621)
Thanks Dan, where is the starter relay? Just bought this bike a few months ago- hope its not that.

I am not 100% sure on the DB36, but they usually aren't too far from the battery as they are connected to the positive side.

Thumper 05-31-2023 08:24 AM

I found that my original starter had an internal grounding issue. But it was easy to fix. The brush plate was just barely contacting the rotating armature. This was a typical QC issue! I discovered this when I opened up the starter. Some light grinding with the dremel on the tip of the armature and the end of the brush plate was all it took. I lubed the bushing on both ends and reassembled it. It has worked perfectly since. Don't throw that starter out!

kp250 06-04-2023 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thumper (Post 395636)
I found that my original starter had an internal grounding issue. But it was easy to fix. The brush plate was just barely contacting the rotating armature. This was a typical QC issue! I discovered this when I opened up the starter. Some light grinding with the dremel on the tip of the armature and the end of the brush plate was all it took. I lubed the bushing on both ends and reassembled it. It has worked perfectly since. Don't throw that starter out!

Thanks thumper!

kp250 06-04-2023 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thumper (Post 395636)

Thumper,

Did you open the starter from the left side of the bike? or do I need to take the entire starter out and try to pull it all apart?

buzz 06-04-2023 05:55 PM

Right on Thumper

Thumper 06-04-2023 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kp250 (Post 395830)
Thumper,

Did you open the starter from the left side of the bike? or do I need to take the entire starter out and try to pull it all apart?

I don't know exactly for your engine, BUT, disconnect the big-assed THICK 12V start input from the starter housing first (other end is connected to the solenoid output!).

On mine, I think they are 10mm bolts to remove the starter. They just hold it onto the engine casing. Once out, remove the long bolts holding the starter together, end to end. Be careful, and remember how to reassemble (photo might be a good idea). Look for any black/burn marks inside (if it is a ground fault), and modify as needed... As I mentioned, lubricate it on the bushings on each end before final assembly. Good luck.