ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Other Brands (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   1980 Suzuki GS550L (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=25184)

herbie 08-10-2021 10:32 AM

When I was 14 yrs old I wanted to get a basket case motorcycle to work on during the winter. I advertised in the local paper and to my surprise a guy called me and said he has a Yamaha DT175 that he would sell for $100. That was the most fun you could have with your clothes on as a teenage boy. I worked on that thing all winter not really certain what I was doing with my dad peeping over my shoulder, not saying much unless I really was ready to screw something up. :lmao:
It didn’t have tons of power but was super fun to ride. I learned a lot on that project, and I think it made dad proud when it fired up and I rode it around the yard for the first time. Ah memories!!

2LZ 08-10-2021 12:05 PM

Neighbor kids I grew up with... the older brother had a TS125 Duster (5 speed) and the younger brother had a TC90 Blazer with the hi/lo. Is the TC125 a four speed like the TC90??

Landsvw 08-10-2021 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2LZ (Post 364635)
Neighbor kids I grew up with... the older brother had a TS125 Duster (5 speed) and the younger brother had a TC90 Blazer with the hi/lo. Is the TC125 a four speed like the TC90??

Not sure what the TS had. The TC is 4 speed tho, with a high low range so effectively 8 speeds. But very similar top ends, carbs etc to the TS. I had a TC90 for a while and didn’t like the rotary intake and carb being down inside the right side cover very much. The 125’s are way simpler.

Landsvw 08-10-2021 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbie (Post 364626)
When I was 14 yrs old I wanted to get a basket case motorcycle to work on during the winter. I advertised in the local paper and to my surprise a guy called me and said he has a Yamaha DT175 that he would sell for $100. That was the most fun you could have with your clothes on as a teenage boy. I worked on that thing all winter not really certain what I was doing with my dad peeping over my shoulder, not saying much unless I really was ready to screw something up. :lmao:
It didn’t have tons of power but was super fun to ride. I learned a lot on that project, and I think it made dad proud when it fired up and I rode it around the yard for the first time. Ah memories!!

Yah, my dad swore I’d never have a motorcycle. Until, in 8th grade, I found a running 1967 K15p Suzuki 80 Hillbilly for 25$…. His Scottish heart won out over his fear of me dying on one… so, the rest is history. Rode the tar out of that one, and then moved forward. Since, have owned 31 motorcycles… it’s a sickness…

Landsvw 08-10-2021 08:00 PM

The old Suzuki 80:

https://i.ibb.co/DL29LLY/75-B6-D980-...F9014-C227.png

Landsvw 08-20-2021 10:39 AM

Well, sold the XR100 and alllll the tiny bike parts, plus some other stuff in the garage, for a tidy profit.

Still waiting on the rack and pinion for the Corvette, and, start work in 4 days. New school year!

Have a 1982 Honda Goldwing sort of waiting in the works, as a friend has one he made into a ‘cafe racer’ (yeah he admits its an oxymoron making a Goldwing into a cafe racer) and it won’t start. Hasn’t run for 9 years. I did a bunch of new wiring harness work for him on his 1964 Type 3 VW Notchback and he’s gonna give me the Goldwing. So, I guess it’s one giant chunk of metal, vs a bunch of smaller chunks of metal, waiting to be pushed into the garage…

Landsvw 08-29-2021 11:59 AM

Sold the ttr125, keeping the TC125, still have a Goldwing waiting for me (but will sell it ASAP as I don’t want it) and, probably going to buy an 82 XL250 in a week or two

Summers over; back to work. Motorcycles on weekends!

2LZ 08-29-2021 01:03 PM

Love the Suzuki 80! I had a Yamaha 80 that looked almost identical to it. Rode the piss out of it. Finally burned a piston.

Landsvw 08-31-2021 09:30 AM

Corvette rack and pinion parts in a FedEx truck passed us on the highway last night and went to Central Point. Hahaha! Well, hopefully will see them today or tomorrow.

School with kids today… first day back for them.

Suzuki TC125 had a flat tire but I patched it on Sunday and went on a great ride. Love the ring ding ding of that goofy bike. Trying to get some paperwork for it and get it registered.

That’s all for now!

Carry on! Stay well!

Landsvw 08-31-2021 07:26 PM

It’s a 1984 C4. My son bought it. Seems pretty good but the rack was bad. Got the rack today on a fed ex truck!

Landsvw 09-21-2021 09:29 AM

Delayed update. But, corvette back together and all is well with the steering. Runs well. A few drips from other stuff, but nothing serious. He loves it!

Landsvw 09-21-2021 09:06 PM

It’s an auto and has crossfire injection, etc which I think was a really early C4 thing only.

Landsvw 09-23-2021 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffrey (Post 366577)
On the Corvette 1982 was the first year crossfire and 1984 was the last then in 1985 the tunedport injection started up. I have a 1984 too but mine has the DN4+3 manual and a dead LCD dash.

We took our dash apart (was also dead) took out the motherboard and my son baked it in the oven! He had done this a long time ago to an XBox which also had bad solder joints. Anyway, we put it back together and it’s worked since. Not sure that yours has same issue but lots of data online how to fix them. Their little daughter board power supply is a common failure.

TxTaoRider 09-23-2021 09:54 AM

Since this is Suzuki GS related thread (or started out that way), I'd throw out there that me and a buddy, both on 82' GS1100es are taking a road trip from DFW Tx area up to Petit Jean park in Arkansas in early November, avoiding interstate highways as much as possible and finding "fun" roads instead. If anyone has any old bikes and want to meet up, or join up, let me know.

baovietgps 09-24-2021 10:04 AM

The art of restoring old products is really good