ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Dual Sport/Enduro (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Hawk Gear indicator problem (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=20256)

Bill1 11-13-2017 02:50 PM

Hawk Gear indicator problem

I finally installed my digital cluster for the Hawk and I am missing the 5th gear indicator. I jumpered to the new harness and the new cluster and harness work fine (When the bike is in 4th and I jumper from the 4th gear wire on the bike harness to 5th in cluster harness, the new cluster says 5th).
But when I try to jumper the 5th gear wire from the bike harness to any of the pins on the cluster harness, I get nothing.

All of the other gears and neutral work fine.

How hard is it to get to the gear indicator sending unit?

Bill1 11-13-2017 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill1 (Post 269134)
I finally installed my digital cluster for the Hawk and I am missing the 5th gear indicator. I jumpered to the new harness and the new cluster and harness work fine (When the bike is in 4th and I jumper from the 4th gear wire on the bike harness to 5th in cluster harness, the new cluster says 5th).
But when I try to jumper the 5th gear wire from the bike harness to any of the pins on the cluster harness, I get nothing.

All of the other gears and neutral work fine.

How hard is it to get to the gear indicator sending unit?

Nevermind... with everything put back together, it's now fixed.
Either the ribbon cable from the transmission to the harness was pinched by the housing and wiggling it helped, or it was just magic.

Regardless, I am good to go now.

bogieboy 11-13-2017 04:49 PM

Pull the sprocket cover, look for a round black plastic thing sitting infront of/below the sprocket.... remove one bolt and its off....

pete 11-15-2017 02:02 AM

really can't see the issue....
gear indicator is not needed....
the best way is to listen to the motor...
surprising how much feed back the bike will give you..

pistolclass 11-15-2017 07:07 AM

Neither are cup holders in cars but us Americans insist on cars with no less than 10.

:lmao:

Ariel Red Hunter 11-15-2017 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete (Post 269224)
really can't see the issue....
gear indicator is not needed....
the best way is to listen to the motor...
surprising how much feed back the bike will give you..

Can I get an Amen to that statement, brothers and sisters!

Megadan 11-15-2017 04:09 PM

Needed or not, some of us want things to function, even if we ignore them.

Ariel Red Hunter 11-15-2017 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megadan (Post 269243)
Needed or not, some of us want things to function, even if we ignore them.

I know what you mean. Our statements are for the guys who develop gut twisting angst over trivialities. Like the guy who ran two different columns on here asking jet recommendations that a bunch of us answered multiple times. A speedometer that works is a handy thing to have, upon occasion. In fact, I've got a brand new Smith's Chronometric speedo head just waiting for me to get a Hawk to see if I can make it work on it. ....ARH

pistolclass 11-15-2017 09:03 PM

I know I'm not riding god and I can't yet channel my inner feng shui with my machine but I kinda like the gear indicator. My bikes in the 80's never had it, but my buddy got a gs550 ( I think) and it had it. I thought it was cool. I do like it telling me, hey dummy you are in 5, stop trying to upshift, there aint no more.

JerryHawk250 11-16-2017 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pistolclass (Post 269252)
I know I'm not riding god and I can't yet channel my inner feng shui with my machine but I kinda like the gear indicator. My bikes in the 80's never had it, but my buddy got a gs550 ( I think) and it had it. I thought it was cool. I do like it telling me, hey dummy you are in 5, stop trying to upshift, there aint no more.

My 6th gear indicator isn't working. What should I do? :hehe: I like glance down to make sure i'm in 1st. I've had a few times were it only downshift to 2nd. That will scare the crap out of you pulling out into traffic and having to try to shift it to 1st before you get creamed by on coming traffic.

Ariel Red Hunter 11-16-2017 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pistolclass (Post 269252)

Geez, pistolclass. Some how I had the feeling you were more mechanically inclined than that. I'm heartbroken and on the verge of tears upon finding out these factoids...:cry:...ARH

Sport Rider 11-16-2017 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 269264)
My 6th gear indicator isn't working. What should I do? :hehe: I like glance down to make sure i'm in 1st. I've had a few times were it only downshift to 2nd. That will scare the crap out of you pulling out into traffic and having to try to shift it to 1st before you get creamed by on coming traffic.

I'm in the middle of a project to re-cut and grind new transmission internals for the hawk that will give it a 6th gear.

nah....not really. :yay:

Ariel Red Hunter 11-16-2017 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 269264)

I hope you are joking about looking down to see if it is in first gear. For those who don't know, the shift lever always returns to the detent position after each shift is made. And you should always down shift to nuetral as you come to a stop if you have to wait, like for a light to change. If it's like at a stop sign, with no cross traffic, shift all the way down to first, and go. If it doesn't want to go in first, just rock the bike forwards and backwards while pressing down on the shift lever. It will go into first as soon as the gears line up :tup:....ARH

JerryHawk250 11-16-2017 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter (Post 269270)
I hope you are joking about looking down to see if it is in first gear. For those who don't know, the shift lever always returns to the detent position after each shift is made. And you should always down shift to nuetral as you come to a stop if you have to wait, like for a light to change. If it's like at a stop sign, with no cross traffic, shift all the way down to first, and go. If it doesn't want to go in first, just rock the bike forwards and backwards while pressing down on the shift lever. It will go into first as soon as the gears line up :tup:....ARH

Not joking. When the bike was new and had no indicator it happen a few times. I would down shift it a few times after I come to a stop to make sure it was in 1st only to find out it was in 2nd when pulling out. :doh: It's not an issue no more now than it has some miles on it. But happened often when new. It has happen a couple of times after though. Only time I really glance down at it is when I'm pulling out on a busy street. Better safe than sorry. Besides that I don't really pay attention to it. This is the 1st bike I ever owned that had one.

JerryHawk250 11-16-2017 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sport Rider (Post 269266)
I'm in the middle of a project to re-cut and grind new transmission internals for the hawk that will give it a 6th gear.

nah....not really. :yay:

:lmao: Well if this engine ever craps out I will convert to a water cooled 250 with 6 gears. A good 10- 12 hp gain.:tup: