ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Registration Issues (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   Veront plates in Illinois (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=16329)

Bemer848 04-11-2016 10:39 PM

Veront plates in Illinois

Has anyone got Vermont plates on a bike from Illinois and kept on riding it without getting Illinois plates? I just hate to pay Illinois $95 for a title and $42 for plates when my Vermont plates cost me $21 a year.

dpl096 04-16-2016 10:51 PM

Plates

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bemer848 (Post 211394)
Has anyone got Vermont plates on a bike from Illinois and kept on riding it without getting Illinois plates? I just hate to pay Illinois $95 for a title and $42 for plates when my Vermont plates cost me $21 a year.

The only issue I see as a possible future problem is if you are stopped by a patrolman and you have an Illinois drivers license and you own the bike and it is registered n your name,,,,since you are now an Hellinois inmate I mean resident then you have a limited number of days to register the vehicle with Hellinoise plates... Just a thought.:shrug:

mjstef 05-02-2016 08:17 PM

Hellinois inmate ROTFLMAO!!! Yup!! Bout sums it up! Glad i left that hole.......

BlackBike 05-02-2016 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bemer848 (Post 211394)

What if you take the chance and continue riding with the VT plate. This goes on for a few years saving over the IL costs. Then if you happen to get stoped, what would be the fine for not registered plate? Would the fine cost you less, the same , or more vs your realized savings. Kind of look at it that way to help you decide.

Kind of like trying to ratitionalize the cost over several years to justify the cost of a more expensive fuel saving vehicle. Usually won't work out.

dpl096 05-03-2016 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackBike (Post 214698)
What if you take the chance and continue riding with the VT plate. This goes on for a few years saving over the IL costs. Then if you happen to get stoped, what would be the fine for not registered plate? Would the fine cost you less, the same , or more vs your realized savings. Kind of look at it that way to help you decide.

Kind of like trying to ratitionalize the cost over several years to justify the cost of a more expensive fuel saving vehicle. Usually won't work out.

If he doesnt correct his drivers license to being a state of Hellinois resident then odds are he cant skate by for years. . . If his "legal" residence and drivers license remains in Vermont then the ********* in Springfield can pound sand.

culcune 05-03-2016 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpl096 (Post 214762)
Springfield can pound sand.

Something tells me it won't be that easy in a state like Illinois. Here in AZ, snowbirds can literally live here 7 months straight with their home state's license plates and license. They try to get agriculture workers to register their cars here because it funds schools. But, here in the southwest corner of the state, most ag workers go back and forth between Central California and here. Most ALL keep their California plates, which is technically risky and illegal. Why it is different than snowbirds? For one, the parents put their kids in school. And, two, they are working whereas snowbirds are retired. The big reason--California actually cracks down. Simple as that!

Which leads me to think that someone in Illinois, who is an actual legal citizen would not get away for very long with an out-of-state license and plate.

MotoCheez 05-05-2016 06:43 AM

My advise would be find an area in VT that looks fun to ride, print out the map with the area and keep it with your registration. IF you get questioned tell them that is where you vacation yearly and why you specifically bought the bike.

Saying a cousin owns property there doesn't hurt either ;)

Bemer848 05-07-2016 12:38 AM

Where I live the city is like Illinois and broke for funds. They are desperate for money and if they stop you for anything, they will take your vehicle and impound it for a stiff fine.

Bemer848 05-07-2016 12:46 AM

This is my bike. Faster then a Grom with my mods.

Bemer848 05-07-2016 11:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Trying to load pic.

Bemer848 08-15-2016 10:33 PM

Decided to go ahead and pay Illinois for title and plates. Did it in June and finally got Illinois legal today. It took 13 weeks to get my title.

jct842 08-16-2016 07:25 AM

When I moved to ar. it wasn't very long at all when the local cops were on my case to get a license and registered here.

Sport Rider 08-16-2016 11:44 AM

FWIW, I have SD plates on my hawk here in NC. my SD title and registration states my NC address. I also have my NC license and have liability insurance on it. I've not been stopped, but if I am, I'm willing to have the discussion since everything technically is in order. other than going through a checkpoint, I'm not sure when I'd get pulled over. it's not like the hawk is going to be breaking speed limits. :D

BlackBike 08-16-2016 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sport Rider (Post 228460)
FWIW, I have SD plates on my hawk here in NC. my SD title and registration states my NC address. I also have my NC license and have liability insurance on it. I've not been stopped, but if I am, I'm willing to have the discussion since everything technically is in order. other than going through a checkpoint, I'm not sure when I'd get pulled over. it's not like the hawk is going to be breaking speed limits. :D

Dam, m@#% f*(0-n straight !!! :clap: you have gone to all lengths !!!

Bemer848 08-17-2016 10:36 PM

A little bike like mine kind of sticks out like a sore thumb and police looks at you when you ride it. In my state you have so many days to change your plates to your address. I went the Vermont way to get legal title and then paid the high title fee to get plates. It is a fun little play toy and after I changed the motor really fast. I guess it was all worth it in the long run.:clap: