ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   ATVs (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   Winter riding (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=18007)

Misha 01-05-2017 12:16 PM

Winter riding

I don't know why but my bike wont work in cold weather. It's in a garage, where its sort of warm, it starts up no problem, BUT, when i take it out it starts idling bad, chokes and dies, then it won't start until I get it inside for some time. I tried riding it and it chokes again, probably bad electronics.

I fitted a new NGK spark plug, but it idles and goes WORSE....I'm confused :hmm:
Anyone else with same problems in the cold?

JerryHawk250 01-05-2017 01:34 PM

we need a little more information. What type or brand of bike? Does the carburetor have a manual choke or auto choke. What cc motor? Air cooled or water cooled?

Misha 01-05-2017 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 239907)
we need a little more information. What type or brand of bike? Does the carburetor have a manual choke or auto choke. What cc motor? Air cooled or water cooled?

It's a Jonway ST25D, 230cc, manual choke, water cooled.

Bruce's 01-05-2017 02:37 PM

How is your fuel ?

JerryHawk250 01-05-2017 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Misha (Post 239908)
It's a Jonway ST25D, 230cc, manual choke, water cooled.

So being that it is a manual choke that rules out the Auto choke not working. When you say cold, How cold are we talking about? Only thing I can think of so far is that the thermostat is stuck and the engine is not maintaining a proper running temp when in the cold. I'll look into it more and see if I can come up with anything.

Misha 01-05-2017 08:49 PM

anything under 5c, maybe it sucks in too much air somehow? But why in the cold only...

Misha 01-05-2017 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce's (Post 239910)
How is your fuel ?

fuel is good, just changed the filter too, i use 95oct.

pistolclass 01-05-2017 10:00 PM

Check also to see if you have an air leak, like Carb to intake manifold.

JerryHawk250 01-06-2017 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Misha (Post 239926)
anything under 5c, maybe it sucks in too much air somehow? But why in the cold only...

If the thermostat is stuck in the open position the motor can't maintain the proper temperature to run with the choke off. Does it run if you put it at half choke? Something else you may want to check is valve clearance. Like Pistolclass stated. Check for air leaks too.

zackattack91 01-06-2017 10:15 AM

Possibly the radiator is clogged so the water isn't cooling the engine when you drive and the temps go up. When it's idling in your garage it's not gonna get as hot as it is when your riding it.

Dakados 01-10-2017 01:42 PM

Definitely sounds like a tuning issue. An air leak would certainly cause this.

Changing the gaskets/seals between carb-intake & intake-block may cure this and should be a quick and inexpensive first step.

Clean or replace both the air / fuel filters if you haven't already.

Add about a tablespoon of gas line antifreeze to the fuel tank, this will not hurt the engine but will clear up any condensation that may have accumulated.

How long is the machine idling before you take it out?
While the carb is off for gasket/seal replacement, check that the choke butterfly and choke cable operate freely.
Please post if the problem is already fixed, also I'd love to see a picture of your machine :)

Regards,
Dak