ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Off-Topic/General Discussion (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=109)
-   -   #$%@ (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=8182)

FastDoc 11-11-2010 02:32 PM

#$%@

:twisted:

Dropped phone in the toilet. I thought stuff like this only happened to kids. I have about a zillion numbers and pictures in it, and hundreds of dollars of medical software.

It's sitting in front of a little space heater on low. I'm praying for the best. What a PIA.

FastDoc is a moron. :cry:

MICRider 11-11-2010 03:53 PM

I read on the net once that if you get the battery out right away and put it in a bowl of dry rice you can save them sometimes... Fingers crossed for you, I hope it dries out and works ok.

FastDoc 11-11-2010 06:44 PM

Its working but damaged. The external 'hard' buttons on the sides that control the volume and camera are inoperative. At least I have my data, best I can tell. Looks like I'll be out a couple hundred for a phone though. Could be worse.

frostbite 11-11-2010 07:53 PM

True Story:

My Uncle used to work for the Railroad as an accident claims inspector. As part of his job he carried a cellular phone everywhere. One day he was visiting the john for a #2. On completion he couldn't find his phone.

Take a guess where it was. There are worse things than getting your phone 'wet'. Since the phone wasn't his, and this was early in the cellular phone era so they were very pricey; throwing it out wasn't an option.

It 'survived' but let's just say he avoided long conversations via cell.

FastDoc 11-11-2010 08:02 PM

FWIW, I dropped it before any other event occured.

Replacement cost will be $300 :cry:

Maybe I'll get lucky over next few days.

waynev 11-11-2010 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FastDoc
Maybe I'll get lucky over next few days.

That's a man's motto isn't it??

SpudRider 11-11-2010 10:49 PM

Re: #$%@

Quote:

Dropped phone in the toilet. I thought stuff like this only happened to kids. I have about a zillion numbers and pictures in it, and hundreds of dollars of medical software.

It's sitting in front of a little space heater on low. I'm praying for the best. What a PIA.

Yikes! 8O Well, you know what they say; "stuff" happens! ;) I wish you good luck, Brother Bill. :)

Spud :)

SpudRider 11-11-2010 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frostbite
True Story:

My Uncle used to work for the Railroad as an accident claims inspector. As part of his job he carried a cellular phone everywhere. One day he was visiting the john for a #2. On completion he couldn't find his phone.

Take a guess where it was. There are worse things than getting your phone 'wet'. Since the phone wasn't his, and this was early in the cellular phone era so they were very pricey; throwing it out wasn't an option.

It 'survived' but let's just say he avoided long conversations via cell.

:lol:

Spud :lol:

FastDoc 11-11-2010 10:55 PM

It would have been more convienent if I'd simply flushed 3 $100 bills instead. :cry:

Weldangrind 11-12-2010 02:33 AM

X2 on the rice trick, but I'd put it in a Ziploc bag.

TurboT 11-12-2010 04:20 AM

Bummer man. I've never done that before, but been close.

I'd keep trying to dry it out at different resting angles over the next few days too.. it might come back.

Not sure how it works with your plan operators down there, but up here, if you're into a certain period on your contract and wish to extend, they'll give you new hardware for extending your contract.

2LZ 11-12-2010 10:41 AM

That's a bummer Doc but it really could have been worse.

When I was working at a heating and air company, one of my new employees went to use the 'blue room' on a job site. He was just 'fresh, north of the border, greencarded' and didn't speak much english.
100' summer day, flies, blue room probably hadn't been serviced in a week, you get the idea. BLOOP! In went his big Nextel. :x
He rolled up his sleeve, fished it out, washed it off and brought it in to my office. He dropped it on my desk and in horrible broken english, explained what happened. 8O
I made him toss it over the fence and sanitize my desk with Clorox wipes.

FastDoc 11-12-2010 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurboT
Bummer man. I've never done that before, but been close.

I'd keep trying to dry it out at different resting angles over the next few days too.. it might come back.

Not sure how it works with your plan operators down there, but up here, if you're into a certain period on your contract and wish to extend, they'll give you new hardware for extending your contract.

I'll look into that. This phone was only a month old. It mostly works but the volume is stuck on high and none of the outside extra buttons function. Sine this is my only phone, and I'm a doctor, I will pony up to get a new one. I'll need it to be reliable, and who knows what will go wrong down the road. Oh well. My fault. I'll get insurance from now on on the phones.

BillR 11-13-2010 10:20 AM

Re: #$%@

Quote:

Hope it lets you get the data back.
Stoopie (that would be me) managed to flush a beeper down the toilet once. I had placed it on the paper holder to tie up the scrubs, it went off (on vibrate mode) and boogied right off into the bowl as I had just flushed 8O
Bill R

FastDoc 11-13-2010 12:00 PM

Yup.

Almost everyone I've told this tale to has had something similar happen, or knows of someone.

I have insurance on my new phone.