ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Other Brands (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   ....and the Winner Is.....! (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=30041)

2LZ 11-26-2021 07:00 PM

....and the Winner Is.....!

1 Attachment(s)
Sold the V-Strom yesterday to my neighbor....but for the last few weeks, I've been immersed in research.

It's been a toss up between the DR650 (for its overall simplicity) and the DRZ400S (for it's better suspension and almost 40 pounds lighter).
Honestly, it came down to availability.....so this popped up on CL. I called the guy immediately.

2007 DRZ400S with only 7500 miles on it, owned by a senior citizen, serviced regularly, and always garage kept. The price was right too, especially for CA.

Biggest problem? It's already totally blinged out! Big tank, tail tidy, Barkbusters, and everything. Yes....the guy probably saved me a grand, but blinging is half the fun! Right Jerry???

Thankfully, it needs tires! Half-wore-out knobbies suck on the street. That leaves me something to blow dough on! Gotta do something about the funky graphics, too.

Anyway, a new steed in the 2LZ stable.

herbie 11-26-2021 09:36 PM

Nice find!! I was looking for a 400 when I found my 650 but both are great bikes.
As far as farkles go, you can buy a new seat or redo your seat. I bought the seat concepts commuter seat for more comfort. At about $200 if it helps it’ll be well worth it. I’ll let you know how it turns out, won’t be in until first of the year I think.

wheelbender6 11-26-2021 10:02 PM

The 400 is a lot lighter than the 650. Great choice.

Emerikol 11-27-2021 05:37 AM

Awesome Score! Glad it popped up at the right time for you! Hope you get miles of smiles out of it!

JerryHawk250 11-27-2021 08:24 AM

Sweet! :tup: Nice bike. That should be perfect. yeah, I added a few more bling items to the cart yesterday. Lol.

2LZ 11-28-2021 10:49 AM

Shakedown cruise yesterday afternoon. It's a hoot! Picks the front end up in second gear, no problem. Runs great, shifts like butter. Suspension is a little out of balance but that's adjustable. The 79 year old guy I bought it from weighs probably 60 pounds less than I do.
Biggest issue? The half wore-out knobbies are deadly on the pavement and not much better on dry dirt roads. Very skittery. Shinko 700's on order...... Love those tires.

Boatguy 11-28-2021 12:05 PM

Possibly a stupid question. Why are half worn out knobbies so dangerous on pavement?

I have some Enduro tires that came with mine. They’re starting to show some wear. But I didn’t really care because I figured the more they wear out, the more they look like street tires. Is that a big mistake?

2LZ 11-28-2021 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boatguy (Post 369579)
Possibly a stupid question. Why are half worn out knobbies so dangerous on pavement?

I have some Enduro tires that came with mine. They’re starting to show some wear. But I didn’t really care because I figured the more they wear out, the more they look like street tires. Is that a big mistake?

Aggressive knobbies, even new, aren't great on pavement. When they get old, hard, and the knobs are all worn at odd angles, it make it even more interesting.

2LZ 12-06-2021 04:50 PM

DRZ Updater

1 Attachment(s)
Been doing some cleanup on it.

Got rid of all those hideous graphics (just not my thing) and have been fine-tooth-combing everything. Just added a little sticker on the swing arm to zest it up a tad.

Found that the vacuum petcock was failed and never shut the gas off (common problem), so I put on a manual one.

Most importantly, I got rid of those wore out old knobbys and mounted my Shinko 700's with extra thick tubes. Thanks to many offerings to the Gawds of Pinched Tubes, I got up this morning and they were still holding air! Woo Hoo!

Oh! I also put the stock exhaust back on. The Leo Vince was too loud for my old ears. Then the stock exhaust was too quiet! Sounded like an old Honda 90. Ended up getting a billet end cap with spark screen. That put the exhaust note right where I wanted it.

Boatguy 12-06-2021 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2LZ (Post 369584)
Aggressive knobbies, even new, aren't great on pavement. When they get old, hard, and the knobs are all worn at odd angles, it make it even more interesting.

Thank you for answering the side question!

I didn’t realize they could get hard like that.

Nice bike!!!

JerryHawk250 12-06-2021 04:57 PM

She cleaned up real nice. :tup:

wheelbender6 12-07-2021 06:56 PM

I know what you mean about the exhaust noise. It’s hard to find a happy medium exhaust that is half way in between the quiet stock pipe and the ear splitting, wake the whole neighborhood performance pipes.

2LZ 12-08-2021 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wheelbender6 (Post 369931)
I know what you mean about the exhaust noise. It’s hard to find a happy medium exhaust that is half way in between the quiet stock pipe and the ear splitting, wake the whole neighborhood performance pipes.

...and I don't care about the weight of the stocker over the Leo Vince. I'm no longer (not for a long time) looking for saving ounces and grams just got get a tad of advantage.
Hell....I'm just looking for a good day out, a few cold beers at the end of the day, and then turn 25 again with stories over the camp fire.

Boatguy 12-08-2021 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2LZ (Post 369934)
...and I don't care about the weight of the stocker over the Leo Vince. I'm no longer (not for a long time) looking for saving ounces and grams just got get a tad of advantage.
Hell....I'm just looking for a good day out, a few cold beers at the end of the day, and then turn 25 again with stories over the camp fire.

Right?

And the best way to save 16oz to get an advantage is to drop a pound of your own weight. Ha ha. It’s true. And people never think about it.

Mudflap 12-08-2021 06:48 AM

The DRZ is a great bike, perhaps my favorite bike of it's type. I once had to tow my friend's DRZ400 out of the woods with my Lifan when the stator went out at less than 10000 miles. Don't know how common that is but it may be something to keep an eye on.