ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Zongshen RX3 (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Working With Diagnostic Data Cable & Software (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=14758)

katflap 07-11-2015 03:20 PM

Viewing Log Files

2 Attachment(s)
The PCHUD software enables you to capture data which is then saved as a .Log file

Bundled with the software is a log viewer (Log.exe) which is good but not great visually.

Log.exe has a function that allows you to export the captured data. "Export As Text" it will create a .csv file that can be viewed with Microsoft Exel.

I recently found some log viewing software that is visually much better, Giving colour to the graphs and the ability to play back the data in "real time".

Attachment 2991

Attachment 2992

To get this to work with our exported csv file requires a little tweeking.

1/ you need to delete the empty "Time" column.

2/ rename the "pc time stamp" to "Time" (without quotes)

Running the program
-------------------

click on the "Guide Me" button then select "i want to open a datalog file" and load your .csv file.

From here you can setup your gauges and graphs as required.

Here's the link to the free software (click on the "download now" writing)

http://sctflash.com/LiveLink.php

and here is a link for some files to play with.

https://mega.co.nz/#!lwx2ibrA!Xc54TN...2f9yjqIV9LSTxE

In my download there is

1/ RX3.log - a 10 miniute ride log capture file i did with a laptop in my top box.
this can be viewed using log.exe but you will need to zoom in with the controls to see the data.This is because there is quite a lot of dead time at the beginning.

2/ RX3.csv - exported from Log.exe

3/ RX3 Live Link Gen.csv - this is ready to be viewed with Live Link Gen software. Also i have cut the dead time from the beginning and some unwanted columns.

4/ RX3.ply - this is a snapshot file that can be viewed in PCHUD, it will show a freeze frame of the gauges.
;)

SpudRider 07-11-2015 04:36 PM

Thanks for posting the update, Kat. :tup:

Have you found any software newer than PCHUD which works with later versions of MS Windows?

katflap 07-12-2015 02:35 AM

I'm afraid not, but I will keep looking :tup:

PCHUD works fine on Windows 7 (32bit) and in theory should be ok on Windows 8 (32bit). It's just 64bit that is a problem.

I do agree Spud, it would be nice to have some software that wasn't 20 years or more old.

The upside is that PCHUD is available for free, though perhaps not 100% legit. :D

SpudRider 08-18-2015 05:37 PM

I received my diagnostic cable in my last shipment from Taobao. :) Now I need to acquire an inexpensive laptop computer which uses older software, and which I can dedicate to RX3 diagnostics. Does anyone have any suggestions for obtaining such a computer?

As soon as I acquire the right computer, I will start experimenting with the PCHud software, and I hope to contribute more to this thread. ;)

humanbeing 08-18-2015 06:33 PM

This http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asus_Eee_PC is popular among network installer in my area
Cuz they're light weight & cheap <$50 (used) http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=14976359094 . Standard size: can't go wrong with IBM / Lenovo , parts are easiest to find

bogieboy 08-18-2015 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudRider (Post 190270)
I received my diagnostic cable in my last shipment from Taobao. :) Now I need to acquire an inexpensive laptop computer which uses older software, and which I can dedicate to RX3 diagnostics. Does anyone have any suggestions for obtaining such a computer?

As soon as I acquire the right computer, I will start experimenting with the PCHud software, and I hope to contribute more to this thread. ;)

I have had good luck so far with slightly older laptops off of ebay... I have run my HP dv9300 for 2.5 yrs now with no major glitches.... small things like a new battery but that was $17... I am quite fond of the HP laptops.... mine runs windows 7, I think in the 64 bit variety, but I could be wrong and it could be 32....

rtking 08-18-2015 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humanbeing (Post 190271)
This http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asus_Eee_PC is popular among network installer in my area
Cuz they're light weight & cheap <$50 (used) http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=14976359094 . Standard size: can't go wrong with IBM / Lenovo , parts are easiest to find

Can't beat <$50!

FWIW, I have an Asus T100TA that I like really well. Available on eBay for about $120 shipped (or less.) Operates like a tablet with a mini-USB port, or dock to the keyboard if you need a full sized USB port. Comes with Win 8.1 (32 bit) and can upgrade and run Win 10 very nicely. I like mine quite a bit.

SpudRider 08-18-2015 11:01 PM

Thank you for the good recommendations, gentlemen. :)

katflap 08-20-2015 02:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudRider (Post 190270)

Glad to hear that you have got your data cable, Spud :tup:

Family can be a good source,

I managed to get an old HP MINI 110- 1030NR from my son. It was abandoned ,collecting dust in one of his cupboards. :)

Its pretty well beat up but good enough to use just as a diagnostic laptop.

One drawback is that it has a 10 inch screen, this seems to cause a small problem for PCHUD resizing its window and cuts a section of the status byte info at the bottom.
This can easily be worked around by arranging a 2nd view of the gauges where they are in view (.hud).
Then you can easily toggle between the 2 views whilst running the PCHUD software.:)
Attachment 3172
Attachment 3173

SpudRider 08-20-2015 03:23 PM

As always, thanks for the good tip regarding the 10-inch screen, Kat. :)

Unfortunately, all my family members prefer desktop computers to laptops. ;) I was considering getting a used laptop with a 10-inch screen, but your advice has persuaded me to get a laptop with at least a 14-inch screen. :)

SpudRider 08-29-2015 01:30 AM

I purchased a used, Dell Latitude laptop running Windows 7.1, 32-bit software. I installed PCHUD, configured the computer, and I am getting data. :tup: I needed to configure port 4 to 10400 baud to enable the data link. ;)

I used all three of your .par and .hud files; they work great. Thank you for all your labor, Kat. :tup:

I got playback to work, but I can't get log to work. I keep getting an error message telling me I don't have enough memory to open the log file. I also can't locate any .lgw files. :wtf: Do you have any hints? I would like to make a few graphs. ;)

detours 08-29-2015 02:01 AM

Spud, look up the specs of your laptop on the Dell website and find out how much RAM you have and how much you can install. Make sure you have 4 GB.

Also, are the log files opening in Notepad? It is notoriously slow opening large files. Try Notepad++ ... much faster and better all around.

SpudRider 08-29-2015 02:37 AM

Thanks for the input, mate. :)

I have 1 GB of ram, with a limit of 4 GB. However, the log files are only 17 KB big. ;) I just got a log file to load, but I still can't find any .lgw files to load the graphs. :ohno: However, I did save the successful log file as a .csv file, so I am going to experiment with the graphing software provided by Katflap. :)

humanbeing 08-29-2015 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudRider (Post 191043)
I have 1 GB of ram, with a limit of 4 GB...

2 * 2Gb DDR2 is ~$15 if u look at the right place

detours 08-29-2015 11:21 AM

The RAM upgrade still make a huge difference. 1 GB on Windows is a crime since Windows XP.

And 4 GB is the max a 32-bit computer can manage, so that's perfect.

SpudRider 08-29-2015 12:17 PM

I think you have offered good advice. :) I can easily upgrade to 3GB, but it appears I need to remove the keyboard to upgrade to 4 GB. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3JuzrUW8Ys

SpudRider 08-29-2015 12:18 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIiyFUm6XTc

SpudRider 08-29-2015 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humanbeing (Post 191044)
2 * 2Gb DDR2 is ~$15 if u look at the right place

Thanks for posting the good information, HB. :) Apparently I can get two of this RAM boards for $6.59 each, plus shipping. ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Upgrade-Dell-L...Memory+Upgrade

katflap 08-29-2015 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudRider (Post 191039)
I purchased a used, Dell Latitude laptop running Windows 7.1, 32-bit software. I installed PCHUD, configured the computer, and I am getting data. :tup: I needed to configure port 4 to 10400 baud to enable the data link. ;)

I used all three of your .par and .hud files; they work great. Thank you for all your labor, Kat. :tup:

I got playback to work, but I can't get log to work. I keep getting an error message telling me I don't have enough memory to open the log file. I also can't locate any .lgw files. :wtf: Do you have any hints? I would like to make a few graphs. ;)

Glad to here you are up and running , spud.

I don't think on this occasion a lack of ram memory is the problem.

your log file is too small, for some reason you haven't been able to record a properly formed log so your laptop is running out of memory because Log.exe its searching for data in the log file that just isn't there.

A typical 4 minute log would be something in the region of 140kb.

Some ideas of why your not getting a proper log file recording.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Make sure PCHUD is receiving data before you start the capture
and also that is still receiving data when you stop the capture.

I usually run PCHUD as administrator but not sure if this makes any difference.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

At the moment the purpose of the .lgw files are unclear but i do know you don't need them to create the graphs.

When you are running log.exe select the file tab then open then go on to select your .log file.
At this point you won't see any graphs.
Select the graph tab and then new, you will be presented with a list of parameters that you can then select. When one is selected log.exe will create a graph of that parameter.

I will have a look to see if i can find some more answers for you about your log files not working :tup:

SpudRider 08-29-2015 01:17 PM

Thank you, Kat. I got the log file to work. :tup:

From your post #41, I downloaded and installed the LiveLink Gen-II software. I also downloaded your files.

I can view RX3.log, and zoom in on the data. :)
I can view RX3.ply, and see a snapshot of the data in PCHUD. :)
I can view RX3 Live Link Gen.csv in the Live Link Gen-II software, and I see all the graphs. Individual lines are highlighted when I choose the desired engine parameter. :) Did you include any gauges?

The Live Link Gen-II software is very powerful, and much nicer than the PCHUD log program. ;) Is there a help file, or tutorial for learning how to operate the Live Link Gen-II software, and create gauges?

katflap 08-29-2015 01:17 PM

Spud,

I assumed you out of memory error happened when you tried to load your log file using LOG.exe.

If this is the case then
I have just managed to recreate the same error message whilst trying to load a log file that I just created in PCHUD with the data cable disconnected.

So the " no data" idea in the log file seems quite likely.

Tomorrow i will have the chance to connect up to my bike and hopefully find out a bit more as to why you are getting this problem when connected.:)

SpudRider 08-29-2015 01:22 PM

Kat,

Did you edit any other .hud and .par files you are willing share? I am busy examining the data from the ECU of my RX3, and everything looks good. :) I don't have any error codes, and all values displayed look good. :tup:

In regards to old error codes, I believe they are automatically removed from the ECU after a certain time period. I believe they have a life of approximately two weeks, or so. ;)

SpudRider 08-29-2015 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katflap (Post 191069)
Spud,

I assumed you out of memory error happened when you tried to load your log file using LOG.exe.

If this is the case then
I have just managed to recreate the same error message whilst trying to load a log file that I just created in PCHUD with the data cable disconnected.

So the " no data" idea in the log file seems quite likely.

Tomorrow i will have the chance to connect up to my bike and hopefully find out a bit more as to why you are getting this problem when connected.:)

Kat,

As always, thank you for you help. :) I'm confident you theory is correct. I created a good log file, and I am now able to view it. :tup:

Can you offer some advice regarding my questions in post #60, and post #62? Thank you for leading the way with this software. :tup:

katflap 08-29-2015 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudRider (Post 191068)
Thank you, Kat. I got the log file to work. :tup:

From your post #41, I downloaded and installed the LiveLink Gen-II software. I also downloaded your files.

I can view RX3.log, and zoom in on the data. :)
I can view RX3.ply, and see a snapshot of the data in PCHUD. :)
I can view RX3 Live Link Gen.csv in the Live Link Gen-II software, and I see all the graphs. Individual lines are highlighted when I choose the desired engine parameter. :) Did you include any gauges?

The Live Link Gen-II software is very powerful, and much nicer than the PCHUD log program. ;) Is there a help file, or tutorial for learning how to operate the Live Link Gen-II software, and create gauges?

To be honest I can't remember what I put in the download but probably not a configuration file for the gauges.

But you can do this quite easily by doing a right click on any one of the gauges and select a different parameter for each gauge and then play back the data in "real time" which is pretty cool.

To make the gauges bigger you can slide the divider between the gauges and the graph to the right.

For the help file which has some instruction , if you click on the first tab at the top you will then see it listed on the left hand side .

I will have a search and see if i can find something better.

Hope this was what you meant :)

SpudRider 08-29-2015 01:52 PM

Thank you, Kat. :) I did find the help file for the LiveLink Gen-II software. I was also able to configure the gauges for different parameters. :tup: If you have time, I would love to see you start a thread on the LiveLink Gen-II software. ;)

Do you have any other .hud and .par files you edited, which you are willing to share?

katflap 08-29-2015 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudRider (Post 191070)
Kat,

Did you edit any other .hud and .par files you are willing share? I am busy examining the data from the ECU of my RX3, and everything looks good. :) I don't have any error codes, and all values displayed look good. :tup:

In regards to old error codes, I believe they are automatically removed from the ECU after a certain time period. I believe they have a life of approximately two weeks, or so. ;)

Sort of and yes , but they are unfinished at the moment , I will certainly upload them when done.

Unfortunately with the par files I haven't been able to change or add any parameters only translate what is already there in the originals.

The hud files are just configuration files these can be created from within PCHUD and saved.

If for some reason you wish to erase old error codes sooner you can use OpenDiag.exe , this is in one of my earlier posts :tup:

SpudRider 08-29-2015 02:05 PM

Thank you for all your help, Kat. :tup: The software and hardware here are now working well. :) I just need to play with the software, and gain experience. ;)

I eagerly await your further updates as your knowledge in this area grows. :)

SpudRider 08-29-2015 02:31 PM

Now that I have all the hardware and software working, here are my preliminary impressions.

Real time data viewing, looking for error codes, et cetera, is very convenient and informative using the PCHUD program. The playback files allow you to record this real time data, and play it back later. The log files allow you to create nice graphs in the LiveLink software, where you can view all of the individual parameters as they fluctuate over time. :)

What are the slew files? :hmm:

katflap 08-29-2015 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudRider (Post 191078)
Thank you for all your help, Kat. :tup: The software and hardware here are now working well. :) I just need to play with the software, and gain experience. ;)

I eagerly await your further updates as your knowledge in this area grows. :)

No problem spud, glad its all working well now. :tup:

What i need to do soon, whilst the bike is running well, is capture some good log data perhaps at idle and out on a ride that i can easily do again.

So should the bike develop problems in the future i will then be able to compare "good" log files with "bad" ones To help with diagnosing possible faults.

I will certainly add more to this thread as i gain more experience but its quite a steep learning curve :hmm:
So I welcome anyones input no matter how small, especially when i get things wrong. :doh:

:)

SpudRider 08-29-2015 02:55 PM

Capturing log files at idle, and over a short test run, is an excellent idea. :)

How do you physically set up the computer and cable for recording log data during a test ride? I assume you remove the pillion saddle, and run the data cable into the trunk, which contains the computer.

Do you cushion the computer with foam during the ride. Can you close the laptop cover, or do you need to keep it slightly ajar with some foam, et cetera?

katflap 08-29-2015 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudRider (Post 191081)
What are the slew files? :hmm:

I don't really know but i think the slew function and slew files enable you to interact with the ECU, raise or lower idle speed, that kind of thing.

I don't think the Delphi MT 05 is capable of this but I've stayed well clear of this part of PCHUD , just in case, coz i'm bound to kill it:doh:

katflap 08-29-2015 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudRider (Post 191084)
Capturing log files at idle, and over a short test run, is an excellent idea. :)

How do you physically set up the computer and cable for recording log data during a test ride? I assume you remove the pillion saddle, and run the data cable into the trunk, which contains the computer.

Do you cushion the computer with foam during the ride. Can you close the laptop cover, or do you need to keep it slightly ajar with some foam, et cetera?

The log i did before of a quick ride I turned off the bit to shut down or hibernate the laptop with the lid shut and bunged it in the top box.

I think there was enough room between the bike and the pillion seat to run the cable with the seat on :tup:

SpudRider 08-29-2015 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katflap (Post 191086)
The log i did before of a quick ride I turned off the bit to shut down or hibernate the laptop with the lid shut and bunged it in the top box.

I think there was enough room between the bike and the pillion seat to run the cable with the seat on :tup:

Thanks for the good tips, Kat. :tup:

The PCHUD software is so much easier to use, and more versatile than an OBD2 scanner. ;) I'm really glad the Zongshen RX3 employs Delphi EFI technology, and we have such a nice diagnostic program available to us. :tup:

Once again, thanks for all your groundbreaking research on this topic. :)

SpudRider 08-29-2015 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katflap (Post 191085)
I don't really know but i think the slew function and slew files enable you to interact with the ECU, raise or lower idle speed, that kind of thing.

I don't think the Delphi MT 05 is capable of this but I've stayed well clear of this part of PCHUD , just in case, coz i'm bound to kill it:doh:

I agree. I won't be messing with the slew files, either. ;)

SpudRider 08-29-2015 03:39 PM

The PCHud software displays fault codes in decimal form, while the engine warning light flashes hexidecimal codes. Here is a chart of the Delphi MT05 ECU fault codes, in both decimal, and hexidecimal form. :)

http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/q...psnszhywba.jpg

katflap 09-02-2015 09:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
When I translated to English the parameter files for PCHUD I had a problem with one of the temperature parameters.
It translated as either Engine temp. or Exhaust temp.
The readings were too low to be the exhaust temp. so went with Engine temp.
The problem is that i can't figure out what sensor is giving the data for this.

At one point i thought it might just be a mirror reading of the coolant temp. But the readings seem too different for this to be the case.

The only temperature sensors/ switches i can find are the fan switch attached to the left radiator and 2 on the thermostat housing.

According to the wiring diagram the sensor with the 2 pin connector goes to the ECU and gives us the data for the coolant temp parameter.

The other single wire sensor goes directly to the speedo, supplying the data for the " LCD heat bars"

Any ideas please :shrug:

Attachment 3290

SpudRider 09-02-2015 10:36 AM

I believe the engine temperature sensor is located at the bottom of the left radiator.

katflap 09-02-2015 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudRider (Post 191422)
I believe the engine temperature sensor is located at the bottom of the left radiator.

If the one on the radiator is the engine temp sensor then I need to determine which one is the thermostatic switch to turn on the fans that is shown on the circuit diagram.

I am beginning to wonder whether the circuit diagram is accurate :hmm:

SpudRider 09-02-2015 11:19 AM

I might be wrong, but I seem to remember the sensor on the bottom of the left radiator is supplied by U.S. Delphi, and it is the engine temperature sensor. :shrug: Perhaps perusing the following thread will help you to solve the mystery?

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=14126

forsberg1 09-11-2015 04:37 PM

Hello.
I have cfmoto ATV Terralander X8.
I try connect to mt05 whit pchud.
But i get "com timeout error" on pchud.

I dont know what to do.