ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Zongshen RX3 (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   broken starter gear? (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=26117)

chadzu 04-28-2020 04:55 PM

broken starter gear?

Have any of the nc250 guys broken a starter gear?

I broke the gear on my GPX. I say broke because I have abused the starter in every imaginable way. The gear in question is the one that the starter meshes with. It has very fine teeth and the teeth started popping off.
As I was sourcing new parts I noticed that Zong has apparently reduced tooth count with corresponding lager teeth on the new production. A part change like that makes me wonder if it was a wider problem.
Found a few of the teeth in the crankcase around the clutch and the rest were stuck to the drain plug magnet.
Replaced gear and starter to be safe.

rjmorel 04-28-2020 07:24 PM

Have not heard of this being a problem in the USA RX3.
How do you "abuse a starter in every imaginable way"? Just wondering what your circumstances where.

pyoungbl 04-28-2020 08:44 PM

The RX3 and RX4 have an automatic compression release so the starter is not working nearly as hard as an engine without the release. Not sure how your engine works.

chadzu 04-29-2020 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pyoungbl (Post 335387)
The RX3 and RX4 have an automatic compression release so the starter is not working nearly as hard as an engine without the release. Not sure how your engine works.

nc250 is a nc250 is a nc250. My bike has the same decompressor as the RX3
I actually think I have your broken cases in my shop.

chadzu 04-29-2020 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjmorel (Post 335378)
Have not heard of this being a problem in the USA RX3.
How do you "abuse a starter in every imaginable way"? Just wondering what your circumstances where.

Abuse as in I use the starter with the bike in gear to drive the bike through particularly difficult sections, no neutral or clutch safety. Abuse as in climbs that don't go well and bike stalls and rolls backwards which causes the starter clutch to engage and shock the whole system.
In general I think dirt bikes are just harder on the starters than a street bike.

I just thought it was interesting that Zong updated the design.

2LZ 05-01-2020 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadzu (Post 335455)

It's nice to see they're still doing R&D.
Mrs. 2LZ had a first year Saturn. I worked on that car relentlessly (it broke continuously) and every part I replaced, had been redesigned.

rjmorel 05-02-2020 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadzu (Post 335455)
Abuse as in I use the starter with the bike in gear to drive the bike through particularly difficult sections, no neutral or clutch safety. Abuse as in climbs that don't go well and bike stalls and rolls backwards which causes the starter clutch to engage and shock the whole system.
In general I think dirt bikes are just harder on the starters than a street bike.

Wow you must be getting into knarly situations chadzu. Using the starter to propel you thru rough stuff has got to be hard on the gear. Honda Goldwings and maybe others have a reverse that uses the starter to back the bike up but it may be designed different to withstand the abuse more. rj

Juanro 05-03-2020 02:13 PM

I don't think he's using the starter to propel forward; rather, bike stalls and while still in gear it moves backwards, rotating the whole engine back and thus engaging (and straining) the overriding clutch and related gears up to the starter motor.

pyoungbl 05-03-2020 04:49 PM

Abuse as in I use the starter with the bike in gear to drive the bike through particularly difficult sections, no neutral or clutch safety.

Looks like he is using the starter to move the bike when the going gets tough.