ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Other Brands (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Polaris Magnum 425 4x4 (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=15150)

Darkrider 09-10-2015 07:27 AM

Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

This is the other ATV i traded my Gio X33 for..In my opinion this is THE one i traded it for and the Baja was a bonus since around here even in the non running condition its in this ATV is still worth around 12-1500. I am not sure what year it is since im not quite sure where the vin number/year plate is on it. Plus i didnt get much of a chance to look today since i was at my buddies place for other reasons.

It has a Warn 4200 lb winch on an aftermarket winch carrier mount and is in overall decent condition considering it has been sitting outside for who knows how long...

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...909_190701.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...909_190645.jpg

General plan for this ATV:

High Lifter suspension lift kit to gain 2" of height for better ground clearance
Replacing the stock headlights in the front bumper with a pair of Rigid Dually lights from an old off road project
Possibly replacing the main headlight with another pair of duallys or a single 6" LED light bar bolted to a filler plate in place of the headlight
Or retrofitting the stock headlight with an LED or HID kit
Dirt bike handle bars and handguards
Twist grip throttle conversion if possible
Rear carrying case

Weldangrind 09-10-2015 10:59 AM

Is that the two-smoke version?

A twist grip is fun in straight line racing, but not in technical areas where you're turning. It's no fun trying to steer and twist the throttle.

Darkrider 09-10-2015 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 191878)
Is that the two-smoke version?

A twist grip is fun in straight line racing, but not in technical areas where you're turning. It's no fun trying to steer and twist the throttle.

As far as i know it is the 4 stroke. It has the dual chain drive setup like the Scrambler 400s of the same year...If i remember right the Scrambler 500 used a chain front drive and a shaft rear. The Magnum and the 400 used chains front and rear. As for the twist grip thing..im used to riding technical trails on large dirt bikes like CR500s and Xr650s..The XR would probably be the closest to the feeling that the ATV would have.

Weldangrind 09-11-2015 10:47 AM

I'll be interested to hear how you like riding with the twist grip.

Darkrider 09-11-2015 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 191935)
I'll be interested to hear how you like riding with the twist grip.

it will be interesting to see if i can even fit one to begin with lol. But yea its def an experiment i wish to try to see if i can make it work.

SpudRider 09-12-2015 01:52 AM

Congratulations on your acquisition. :tup:

I own a Honda XR650L, and I used to own an ATV. I agree with Weld. The ATV will twist the handlebars in ways a motorcycle never would. The thumb throttle is a definite advantage for an ATV. Personally, I would never install a twist throttle on an ATV. ;)

Darkrider 09-12-2015 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudRider (Post 191996)
Congratulations on your acquisition. :tup:

I own a Honda XR650L, and I used to own an ATV. I agree with Weld. The ATV will twist the handlebars in ways a motorcycle never would. The thumb throttle is a definite advantage for an ATV. Personally, I would never install a twist throttle on an ATV. ;)

Thanks, I will see how i like the throttle as it is now but eventually an issue with my hand may force the conversion as there are times my hand will get painful and lock up into a claw like position...at least with a twist grip i can roll the throttle forward to slow down...not so sure if i would be able to move my thumb off of the throttle in that situation though..

Weldangrind 09-12-2015 01:27 PM

I have a similar issue with ATV throttles, and my wife's hands are too small to comfortably operate an ATV throttle for long periods. I installed something like this on our quads: https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...ottle-Extender

Weldangrind 09-12-2015 01:27 PM

BTW, I think I found them at Walmart.

SpudRider 09-12-2015 10:42 PM

That throttle extender is pretty nice. :)

Darkrider 09-13-2015 03:08 AM

Thanks for the suggestion Weld i will def need to check it out.

Bruce's 09-13-2015 05:06 AM

I have a 250 hummer dirt bike ,and installed an atc 200 carb ,cable and thumb throttle on it because I had everything laying around .Anyways ,that thumb throttle is the worst part of that bike ,my thumb gets severe cramps from using it ,but ,no matter what I can always drive it home by letting go of the bar and just pushing the throttle with my hand when I get cramped up with it .A twist throttle will be installed before I run it again .

Weldangrind 09-13-2015 05:03 PM

That's the benefit to a throttle extender on a quad. If your thumb gets sore, you can always use the palm of your hand.

SpudRider 09-13-2015 05:40 PM

If you are riding on smooth roads, the twist throttle will work okay. However, if you ride in rough terrain, the ATV will pull on the handlebars very hard, and you will have your hands full just hanging on, let alone working a twist throttle. ;) That thumb throttle extender is the ticket. :tup:

Darkrider 09-22-2015 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 192089)
That's the benefit to a throttle extender on a quad. If your thumb gets sore, you can always use the palm of your hand.

This is very true!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudRider (Post 192097)
If you are riding on smooth roads, the twist throttle will work okay. However, if you ride in rough terrain, the ATV will pull on the handlebars very hard, and you will have your hands full just hanging on, let alone working a twist throttle. ;) That thumb throttle extender is the ticket. :tup:

I will def need to see if that will work for me then.