ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Everything Else (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   New Project (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=26387)

Sport Rider 05-18-2020 10:02 AM

New Project

1 Attachment(s)
Yes...it's another C10. This time I picked up a 2002 C10 with 76000 miles on the clock. Problem? hydrolocked motor. I'm going to try my hand at rebuilding the motor since I've never torn one down that far. Pic below is the starting point. all the front and lower plastics are off.

The bike has been pretty well taken care of, but the owner (since it was new) dropped it a couple times. no wrecks. just parking lot drops. The problem though is that several of the tabs for mounting the lowers are broken off. I haven't decided yet if I'll put it back together without the lowers or convert all the bodywork to my spare Beige Betty parts. we'll see. first step is the motor. if that doesn't run, the rest is a moot point, right? :)

I have another motor with 140k miles. it's a known runner. I might get away with just having to replace the rods as that's typically the part that fails. Once I tear it down, I'll know for sure.

wish me luck! :hmm:

JerryHawk250 05-18-2020 10:07 AM

And another round of fun began. :tup:

Sport Rider 05-18-2020 03:19 PM

punishment -> glutton :)

herbie 05-20-2020 04:35 AM

Looks like a nice project bike. Do you know which rod got bent? I've heard if it's 2 or3 (I think) you don't have to split the cases.

Off topic; Is that a Harbor freight foldable trailer? If so how does it do pulling with the weight?

Sport Rider 05-21-2020 10:40 AM

I'm not sure yet what rods are bent...or if it's something more catastrophic. I'm going to go ahead and drop the motor and do the work on a bench. I'm doing it to learn as much as anything, so what the heck. :)

As for the trailer, it's homemade. the axle and springs came from Northern Tool. IIRC, it was either 1500 or 2000 pounds. The biggest bike I had on it was a Kawasaki Nomad. I also used the trailer to haul a large water tank (about 200 gallons) which I used at my weekend camper on the lake.

Sport Rider 05-26-2020 10:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
mostly stripped down. testing shows the number 2 cylinder is bad.

Sport Rider 06-01-2020 11:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
got the victim onto an operating table. Ready to move to the next phase of surgery.

JerryHawk250 06-01-2020 11:42 AM

If i had a nice shop area to work in i would love to do a few projects like this. :D

OneLeggedRider 06-02-2020 12:52 AM

I love projects like this one. 3 times in my life I've got an actual "basket case", most notably the XT500. One side of the stator needed to be rewound and the tweaker I bought it from decided it would be fixed if he split the cases and disassembled every part of it. But he was mostly efficient at not losing too many of the parts. To me it was was like putting together a rather large puzzle that I wasn't familiar with. But 2 months later I had a beast of a bike. A couple of years later I ran across the actual owner of the bike, who had given it to the tweaker to repair, and he offered me the initial $200 I had paid for it. I said nah, I enjoyed riding it for 2 years and it's your bike.

Sport Rider 06-03-2020 09:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
motor down. ready for open heart surgery.

Weldangrind 06-03-2020 09:48 PM

So looking forward to this!

herbie 06-06-2020 05:21 PM

Dave, your going to know these Connie's inside out, literally! :lmao: