ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Dual Sport/Enduro (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Oil Leak on Hawk 250 (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=33318)

Zapkin 09-27-2023 11:36 AM

Oil Leak on Hawk 250

1 Attachment(s)
About to roll over 5000 units and started smelling burnt oil occasionally at stoplights. Since the bike is not smoking, I looked closely and found this. How serious is this? How can I fix this? Do I even need to bother? I checked the oil level, and it seems to be fine, so the leak is slow.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Edit: I have come to the conclusion that it's a head gasket leak (please correct me if I am wrong). I contacted PSM, but I doubt it's covered under warranty and just wanted to find out how much a replacement gasket would cost. I am 100% sure I can do the work myself as I have access to a torque wrench and several excellent videos of the procedure on YouTube. But my big question is this: How long can I go before I have to deal with this? Would tightening the head be worthwhile, or should I just do the gasket? Also, any additional advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sport Rider 09-27-2023 12:30 PM

gasket bad. gonna have to pull the head. shouldn't be too terribly bad to do. It can wait though, not urgent. a good bit of fresh oil there though, so I'd say "soon".

Zapkin 09-27-2023 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sport Rider (Post 399998)
gasket bad. gonna have to pull the head. shouldn't be too terribly bad to do. It can wait though, not urgent. a good bit of fresh oil there though, so I'd say "soon".

since this is my daily driver, I will need to repair it sooner than later. But that being said, winter is coming, and I would love to put it off. Thanks for the help.

J4Fun 09-27-2023 01:10 PM

If it were me I would attempt to tighten the head bolts. If this all of a sudden came on, the gasket could need to be repaired quickly. If like the leak on my Snapper lawn mower that’s still leaking it’s still not much more than a wash job every once in awhile. The leak started 10 years ago. Just my thoughts and the repair isn’t difficult if needed!

JerryHawk250 09-27-2023 01:43 PM

I agree with J4fun. Maybe check head bolts and snug them up. It might not be a permanent fix, but it will give you time to deal with the gasket replacement during the winter. That would be a good time to d some porting.

Megadan 09-27-2023 03:44 PM

The oil passes through to the head on the opposite corner of where you found the leak. On the fiber style head gaskets there is also an O ring used to help seal off that corner.

As suggested, try to snug up the head bolts and see if that helps (24ft-lbs). If it keeps leaking, pick up a TT250 headgasket, which is steel and does not require the O-ring. Also a bit thinner so it gives a small bump in compression.

JerryHawk250 09-27-2023 04:04 PM

The Brozz 250 also uses the metal gasket.
https://shop.brozz250.com/eshopprod_...r_Assembly.htm

Zapkin 09-27-2023 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megadan (Post 400002)
pick up a TT250 headgasket, which is steel and does not require the O-ring. Also a bit thinner so it gives a small bump in compression.

its in my cart. 12.95 from california scooter company. thanks.

Zapkin 09-27-2023 04:25 PM

whoa..looks like the one from the brozz site is half as much.

Thumper 09-27-2023 05:06 PM

Maybe it is indeed a head bolt issue, and will seal up. Maybe!
Then you can send back the head gasket for refund.

Zapkin 09-27-2023 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thumper (Post 400008)
Maybe it is indeed a head bolt issue, and will seal up. Maybe!
Then you can send back the head gasket for refund.

gonna keep it for a rainy day.

Zapkin 09-29-2023 03:01 AM

I think if I am going to pull it apart to torque it down (ordered a torque wrench, never had one) might as well just change it. Also the digital dash is coming so i figure take it all apart at the same time. I will also take that time to install the turbo charger that I 3d printed.

Zapkin 09-30-2023 02:34 PM

i cleaned off all of the oil you see in the picture. Then I took the bike up Miller Hill (deep gravel miserably first gear all the way) and at the top I could smell oil. I rode it home. Since then I've been to moundsville a few times and I cant sense a loss of compression. But, very soon I am going to fix it. I cant freakin wait!!! (im not kidding!!)
https://maps.app.goo.gl/KCpNPm9M5ii2ecVk6

i know it is not good to push it, but truth is a whole engine is so cheap and the fact I get to learn in the process..its a win win. Thanks.

plus..its a Hawk.

Bill Hilly 09-30-2023 03:00 PM

I would bet it's leaking around the O Ring, but it sounds like it's not really hurting anything, as long as it doesn't run low on oil.

Zapkin 09-30-2023 03:12 PM

i will tear it apart. I need to tear it apart. I want to tear it apart. and I will fix it. and then I will laugh at myself for ever being stressed out about it. tomorrow I am going back out. hell i might do it today.