ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Registration Issues (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   registration issue (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=16298)

zanoknight 04-08-2016 03:06 PM

registration issue

So i live in Illinois and I just bought a used dual sport bike. The issue is the guy signed the title when he wasn't the one who it was registered under. I've tried contacting the original owner to see if he could just go to the DMV with me and get it straighten out... no luck tho.... Any tips on where I should continue?

I tried registering through Vermont, but they want to inspect the vehicle to make sure it's highway safe. so Im kinda s.o.l. I don't care if i get a salvage title or lost title. I just want a title. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

pistolclass 04-08-2016 09:27 PM

VT only needs you to inspect it if you intend to drive it in VT. If it is under 300cc they just need a bill of sale. I think it is by your coffee table,... Wink wink. Just get them something and they will mail you a plate and a title. Then go to your DMV and transfer the title.

zanoknight 04-09-2016 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pistolclass (Post 210911)
VT only needs you to inspect it if you intend to drive it in VT. If it is under 300cc they just need a bill of sale. I think it is by your coffee table,... Wink wink. Just get them something and they will mail you a plate and a title. Then go to your DMV and transfer the title.

I gave them everything :(

They sent me a letter back stating i need to get it inspected for highway use. I called them and explained that i'm all the way in Illinois so I can't get it inspected in Vermont.

Im debating on just retrying in Illinois, but going to the most shady currency exchange i can find. maybe accidentally drop a $20 with the application lol

79elco 04-09-2016 06:21 AM

Creative people here in this forum. Someone make the documents their vendor fails to supply. These folks have been ripped off unfairly.

katoranger 04-12-2016 12:37 PM

Would Vermont accept an inspection report from a place in Illinois?

Sport Rider 04-12-2016 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 79elco (Post 210954)
Creative people here in this forum. Someone make the documents their vendor fails to supply. These folks have been ripped off unfairly.

not really a vendor issue. more like a dumb move by previous owner.

OP....here in NC, we have a process to get a title for messed up paperwork. I had something similar titling a camper. I had good bill of sale and documents, but everything was not signed, notarized and in order.

What they do here is require a bond. I went to a DMV officer and had him inspect the paperwork and search the vin to confirm it's not stolen. then he filled out a form for me. I then contacted a local insurance company to provide a bond for the VIN. the amount of the bond is 1.5 times the value here in NC.
I took my papers, the DMV form, and the bond form and they provided me a title.

BARLOW 04-12-2016 03:04 PM

i am not at all saying you should do anything outside the law, but i "had a friend" one time have that exact same trouble, and "he or she" went to the dmv and got papers for a lost title, filled them out with the titled owners name and had it sent to a friends address, then may or may not have had said friend sign titled owners name to said title and take it back to the dmv and walk out with a title on the way and plates on the car :)

79elco 04-16-2016 04:55 AM

"When life puts an obstacle in front of you, it's much easier to go around it than over it." Many years ago I needed a title for an old car. On paper I sold the car to an outfit in Alabama who registered it and sold it back to me. My registration with Alabama tag said it belonged to a leasing company. after a few months registered in my state. I purchased my hawk from APSCUSA...My first question..thanks to this forum..does it say off road on the MCO? He said no and he wouldnt sell anything I couldnt register in my state. SOLD!!!

culcune 04-16-2016 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zanoknight (Post 210857)
So i live in Illinois and I just bought a used dual sport bike. The issue is the guy signed the title when he wasn't the one who it was registered under. I've tried contacting the original owner to see if he could just go to the DMV with me and get it straighten out... no luck tho.... Any tips on where I should continue?

I tried registering through Vermont, but they want to inspect the vehicle to make sure it's highway safe. so Im kinda s.o.l. I don't care if i get a salvage title or lost title. I just want a title. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I think '79 Elco has something here, but also, does Illinois do bonded titles? Those are for people in your situation; you really and legally own a bike, but cannot get a signature or other such technicality for one reason or another. You pay a bonding fee and voila! you own your bike legally! The bond guarantees to the state (Illinois in your case), that NO one can try to claim title to your bike. Here in AZ, I have not needed to go that route, but it usually is something like 10% of the worth of the bike, which for a NEW Chinese bike would be $135 or so, so I imagine a used one would be far less...

shawn66 08-06-2016 02:30 PM

Help

Are the hawk 250 hard to register in Alabama? Thanks to anyone who can answer this question for me before I buy one.

LunaTech 08-06-2016 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawn66 (Post 227486)
Are the hawk 250 hard to register in Alabama? Thanks to anyone who can answer this question for me before I buy one.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=17222

Here ya go.