ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Reviews (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   My RPS Magician is a death trap! (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=19377)

Deluxe 06-19-2017 02:17 PM

My RPS Magician is a death trap!

3 Attachment(s)
This bike looks great, rides good, love the weight.. But it's falling apart after 3,000 miles and is very dangerous. It's never been ridden rough, and I weigh 160lbs. It had potential, but the frame is so brittle it snaps when stressed. I've had one shop refuse to repair it because they didn't want to be liable,. evidently the steel would just continue to break down after repair.
I really wish it would have been more durable.
:cry:

Adjuster 06-19-2017 03:13 PM

I would head straight to Harbor Freight for a stick or wire welder and use this opportunity to learn a fun new skill. Plenty of YouTube videos.

This is normally on sale for $80.00.

https://www.harborfreight.com/90-amp...der-61849.html

This is normally on sale for $130.00.

https://www.harborfreight.com/80-amp...der-61749.html

/

sshevie 06-19-2017 06:47 PM

I would contact RPS and see what they can do for you. They are in the business to sell and I would think they would not like something like this out there.

wheelbender6 06-19-2017 08:02 PM

Darn shame. Its a cool looking bike, to me.
I agree with Adjuster about getting a stick welder and adding some gussets to the parts of the frame that are prone to failure.
With some experience, you may be able to fabricate custom exhausts.
A lot of riders seem to want to add an upswept exhaust to their street bike these days and call it a scrambler.

o2jmpr 06-19-2017 08:25 PM

I haven't seen this bike's frame but I can't help but think that you could probably find someone local to weld and reinforce or even fabricate a new frame that wouldn't hurt your wallet too badly.

Rangerscott 06-19-2017 09:58 PM

Can you post more pics of the first break?

pistolclass 06-20-2017 07:21 PM

Agreed, if you have time and want to learn, perfect opportunity to bend and stitch a new skeleton.

pete 06-21-2017 05:08 AM

in the first picture the broken part looks like the top down tube plate ??

Since it craked in the first place it could be a high carbon steel..
So not knowing what the steel is... yer just can't grap a welder and
attack it like a big dog on heat....

If I was doing the job i would use a arc "stick" welder with a
Austenic welding rod or 2nd choice would be a low hydrogen rod..

Austenic rods are one of the easyest rods to use, But
to run a low hydrogen rod you REALLY have to know how to
arc weld... or you will end with that much slag inclusion in the
weld

vee the crack .. weld it ..then back cut the weld/crack deep enough to
cut into the front weld....then do the back weld..
And DON"T force cool it......

have fun...

Megadan 06-21-2017 07:43 AM

opportunity to learn a skill, or have someone weld it or not... It's obvious that the Magician frame needs some structural reinforcement in order to take rougher off-road riding on. With it's more limited suspension travel, it is likely the Magician has a stiffer suspension to prevent bottoming, which means the frame of the bike is likely to absorb more strain from harder bumps. The Magician was intended to be a mostly on-road bike that could take on a dirt road or light trail at best.

I hope you can find somebody that will be willing to weld that frame up for you. Definitely consider having bracing or at least some reinforcing done to those areas, even the ones that didn't break yet, if you plan to continue using the bike in harsher conditions.

JerryHawk250 06-21-2017 07:56 AM

I found that brazing does a better job than welding. I've repaired a few cracks on motorcycle frames and bike frames and never had any issues with it cracking again where as I have had repairs I've made by welding cracked again.

ben2go 06-21-2017 02:49 PM

RPS needs to know about this. They can be held liable if there is an accident or death.

Megadan 06-21-2017 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 259730)
I found that brazing does a better job than welding. I've repaired a few cracks on motorcycle frames and bike frames and never had any issues with it cracking again where as I have had repairs I've made by welding cracked again.

Brazing is actually a great way to reduce cracks at high stress joints. I've seen entire tube frames welded together with silicon Bronze Tig "brazing" which is somewhat of a cross between a weld and a braze joint.

RedCrowRides 07-02-2018 09:57 AM

Damn, those frame cracks are scary looking ,I get the Magician is primarily a street service machine for occasional light off road use but no frame ought to split like that, or in multiple places in that short a time frame in my opinion.

I'd definitely contact the Dealer or Manufacturer or some damn body about it , and see if they aren't willing to address the matter ,surely they don't want that out there

repping their brand / make /model.

DualSport 09-25-2018 11:26 AM

I feel the need to reply to this.. I've been buying/selling/riding Chinese stuff since around 2002. LITERALLY everything I've had has had this issue, and it's usually not the horrible MIG welds and I've seen it just with frame flex on paved road turns..
  1. People with big wallets have gone after Shenzhen makers and failed. Gov there protects them
  2. Importers and sellers are lucky to get spare parts let alone solve the problem of manufacturing
  3. I'm pretty sure sellers aren't liable, or have the budget to convince a judge so..
  4. It's Taiwanese recycled steel like the engine.. Have fun constantly MIG or TIG welding it(shielded oxy isn't even usable it'll ruining the frame).. I use high quality flux core and it usually just cracks next to your weld.. It's poorly refined on top of being high carbon