ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Dual Sport/Enduro (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   2022 250 Hawk - Carb Idle Adjustment - Cold Start (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=32440)

MotoRider 03-26-2023 12:53 PM

2022 250 Hawk - Carb Idle Adjustment - Cold Start

Photo

I'm having issues starting/idling when it's cold and pictures is what looks like the idle adjustment screw, but why this type of screw? It makes me leary adjusting it. Has anyone successfully adjusted the idle for cold weather using this screw?

Another Photo

Thanks in advance.

Thumper 03-26-2023 02:42 PM

That is in position at the base of the slide to be the slide height adjustment. It won't change fuel/air mixture. Just sets idle.

Megadan 03-26-2023 03:50 PM

That is the Curb Idle adjustment in keihin speak, aka idle speed adjuster.

The idle mixture adjustment is located on the bottom of the carb on the flange side. It will likely be capped with a plastic plug and the bowl screws will be tamper proof as well. It is possible to unseal and adjust the carb though, as many people have done so.

It's a good idea to do so as most of the stock jetting is very lean.

Bruces 03-26-2023 04:00 PM

Since you are a new member and your bike is fairly new ,have you adjusted your valves yet ?

buzz 03-26-2023 07:14 PM

Just turn in to speed it up,turn out to lower.Won;t hurt anything.

MotoRider 03-27-2023 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megadan (Post 392589)
That is the Curb Idle adjustment in keihin speak, aka idle speed adjuster.

The idle mixture adjustment is located on the bottom of the carb on the flange side. It will likely be capped with a plastic plug and the bowl screws will be tamper proof as well. It is possible to unseal and adjust the carb though, as many people have done so.

It's a good idea to do so as most of the stock jetting is very lean.

Thank you for the information!

MotoRider 03-27-2023 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruces (Post 392592)
Since you are a new member and your bike is fairly new ,have you adjusted your valves yet ?

I've done nothing to the bike except put it together. Adjust the valves? Please keep in mind I'm a rider and not a mechanic without specific instructions. YouTube videos have saved me with other mechanical endeavours.

MotoRider 03-27-2023 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzz (Post 392606)
Just turn in to speed it up,turn out to lower.Won;t hurt anything.

Thank you! By turning it, that will make it easier to start in the cold?

Thumper 03-27-2023 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotoRider (Post 392630)
Thank you! By turning it, that will make it easier to start in the cold?

Cold start needs a richer mixture (choke). The slide height only changes the idle speed. Your carb may need rejetting (slightly richer). These bikes are shipped with the carb jet very lean for emissions requirement, but it is easy to change them. You can get help with choice of jets from experienced owners of your same bike here, and Youtube has many videos showing how to open up the carb, change the pilot jet, and the main jet. Nothing like a video to make it easy!

flopsweat 03-27-2023 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotoRider (Post 392629)
I've done nothing to the bike except put it together. Adjust the valves? Please keep in mind I'm a rider and not a mechanic without specific instructions. YouTube videos have saved me with other mechanical endeavours.

Welcome! What part of Wisconsin are you in? I'm in the Chicago area.

I came here neither a rider nor a mechanic, and a year and a half later I'm going on 7k miles and have done oil changes, valve adjustments, etc, etc, just about to attempt a tire replacing, and I owe a great deal of that to the wonderful people in this forum. Ask away, this is THE place to be for Hawk questions!