ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Zongshen RX3 (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   New Zongshen RX3 (ZS250GY-3) Dual Sport (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=13440)

culcune 10-29-2014 02:07 AM

I would buy the GY-10, and when the RX3 is available, keep the '10' as a backup/guest bike.

SpudRider 10-29-2014 02:15 AM

We have a forum member, OldGringo, who lives in Peru, and Oregon. I don't know where he is right now, but if he is in Peru, you two should get together. Please do report back after you check out the Zongshen RX3. :)

SpudRider 10-29-2014 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by culcune (Post 174916)
I would buy the GY-10, and when the RX3 is available, keep the '10' as a backup/guest bike.

If it only costs $1,700, the ZS200GY-10 is a killer deal. :) However, the RX3 is certainly a better bike to ride to Patagonia. ;) Zongshen Peru also sells the ZX 200, which is another nice motorcycle. :tup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84-EAApLebI

SpudRider 10-29-2014 02:20 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmBhXLampAs

culcune 10-29-2014 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudRider (Post 174917)
We have a forum member, OldGringo, who lives in Peru, and Oregon. I don't know where he is right now, but if he is in Peru, you two should get together. Please do report back after you check out the Zongshen RX3. :)

It seems like Oldgringo has moved to Ecuador. That was the impression I had the last time he posted a couple months ago.

I wish Zongshen imported their lower end bikes--I would be interested in the '10' or the ZX200--Maybe CsC could consider having Zongshen EPA certify them??

expat42451 10-29-2014 02:22 PM

Just back from the Zongshen dealer. Here are prices in soles. As of a few minutes ago there were 2.92 soles/US$

The RX3 is in transit. They expect to have at their hub in another city 11 units and they are saying that they will be on on the showroom floor by 15 November. Price here will be 12,000 soles or $4109. This includes spoked wheels and as per the specs on the dealer site here in Peru, a 100-90/18 front and a 130-90/15 rear. Price also includes the hard sided luggage.

In stock are both the 200GY10 and the X200. The 200GY10 costs 6000 soles- $2054. The X200 is 4790 soles or- $1640.

I specifically asked the dealer whether or not another fuel tank could be fitted to the GY10-he said they had investigated that but the frame design doesn't leave room for a larger tank. That may be the deciding factor for me on the GY10. I don't want to have to carry fuel in external cans.

So these are price rundowns on the bikes. I like all of them-

I saw earlier here in the thread the problems encountered with rear bearings on the RX3 and the thinking that improper setting up of the rear wheel when doing chain maintenance may have been a contributing factor. I also saw mention of the different rear sprocket. It appears that at least the X200 has a different rear sprocket from the normal rigid design. I am going to try to go back with the camera and take some photos later today. The X200- if it is reliable- is a hell of a lot of bike for the money ditto the GY10. The RX3 is gonna be awesome for the $$. What to do eh? I like the X200 but that having been said...in three weeks the RX3 will be here :).

From an "eye" point of view- to me it looks like the quality of the models is close to par with the Tornado. I did not see anything evident from an exterior standpoint that made me cringe although I did not particularly care for the rear wheel adjusting cams on the X200- they appear stamped rather than machined to my untrained eye but if it works who is to say- What I saw that I particularly liked on the X200 was the addition of a kick starter. I ve had to attempt to push start a recalcitrant bike - my Virago- with a flat battery and its a horrible PITA and something I would not attempt at my age with a loaded bike or certainly would not want to. The kick start feature is to me a huge plus. I can however given EFI, guess that it would not be an option on the RX3.

Also in reading on this thread, comments about the manufacturing facilities being ISO compliant - someone with the eyes and knowledge to know commented on a video of the factory saying that apparent methods employed there appear to insure some basic standard of quality. One question- is the RX3 manufactured in the same factory as the other models using the same methodology?

My impressions from today....more momentarily-

As an added note I can understand why OldGringo might move to Ecuador. Cost of living is higher here in Peru from what I ve experienced.

Expat

expat42451 10-29-2014 04:48 PM

Don't know whether anyone has seen this or not- excellent ride report here

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=929097

on a young lady doing extensive travel on a Sherpa- while its a little thread creep though I would post it here. Photos are amazing. After trying out a couple of big bikes earlier in the trip notably the BMW 850GS- I also am of the opinion that lighter and smaller is the way to go. The 850 was a beautiful bike but damned heavy and almost too tall for my 6'4". Going to be interesting to see how the RX3 feels. Read a couple places that some thought it a bit heavy.

Expat

SpudRider 10-29-2014 08:26 PM

Expat,

I took your photos of the ZX200 and started a new thread for you at the following link. :)

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=14187

expat42451 10-29-2014 08:45 PM

Hi Spud how are you today?

Thanks very much for that. Will check over there momentarily.

I am going to wait the three weeks to look at the RX3 before buying anything.

More in a bit and thanks for starting the thread- be interesting to see what kind of comments we get.
Expat

SpudRider 10-29-2014 08:53 PM

I am well. :) Thanks for reporting back, and posting the photographs of the ZX200. :tup: I think you are very wise to wait until the RX3 bikes arrive before making your decision. ;)

expat42451 10-29-2014 09:32 PM

Agreed wholeheartedly. As frustrating as today has been - and seeing some of the photos of Idaho you posted earlier makes me want to come up there and visit your state , find some property, build a little place and settle down.Looks like an absolutely beautiful place..... Here because of the culture differences- can be pretty frustrating at times. It is a hell of a lot harder to get anything done here than in the US. As i wrote in my post on the other thread...you can't find anything here, maybe in Lima for things like pannier racks, GPS'es and so forth but in small towns forget it. Story- I did some data system work for friends in Quito 6 months ago. Redesigned their data room and redid their network architecture (what they had was a disaster). They bought and installed the equipment, I supervised that and then configged their systems and set their new sysadm up with lots of howtos in a manual when I was done...... thing was , forget about buying any common stuff. Solid state drives, forget it there were none in Ecuador. Same with server grade routers, and administratable switches- we got the last one in Ecuador. there are things I really like about Latin America, I ve been coming down here all of my life but it can be damnably frustrating.

Expat

expat42451 10-31-2014 12:56 AM

In Russian but check the video out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLbAceF81Ac

SpudRider 10-31-2014 01:15 AM

Yes, that's a good video. :)

Zongshen is making a concerted effort to further the technology, and increase the quality of its motorcycles. The Zongshen RX3 is the latest example of this effort. :tup:

expat42451 10-31-2014 01:24 AM

Spudrider-

I noticed something on this video- I was under the impression that the RX3 was fuel injected- Is it me or does this look like there is a carb on this bike?

Good video and the quality looks better than the ZX200 although I like that bike welds not withstanding.

Question- I recall in one of I think, your posts on the rX3 forum, you had a pic of a piston and it had 2 compression rings. I am curious about why two rather than one? Thoughts? Looks like it would make for a longer life engine.

Interesting comment from the taxi driver tonight, he said that the Pulsar is made in India. I was under the impression they were made in Colombia from what a Colombian friend with one said. Interesting.

Expat

SpudRider 10-31-2014 01:57 AM

The first generation RX3 had a carburetor. If the bike in the video has a carburetor, it was a demonstration bike. ;) The latest generation RX3 has EFI by U.S. Delphi. Both the Zongshen RX3 sold in Russia, and the Minski TRX 300i sold in Belarus have fuel injection. :)