ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Dual Sport/Enduro (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Help! Hawk down, I say again, Hawk Down (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=23509)

MrDeeds262 04-21-2019 04:26 PM

Help! Hawk down, I say again, Hawk Down

3 Attachment(s)
All the wonderful smart knowledgeable peeps on this site please lend me your guidance. I’ve had the Hawk250 for about 6 months. I’ve done all the mods that you guys have posted and what not. I’ve got right at 5500 miles on her and until now nothing has went wrong. I’ve changed my oil every 300-500 miles. Used the good stuff. I’ve stayed on top of loose nuts and bolts. So when I went to change my oil this time m, holy cow you’d think the challenger took off inside there (bad joke sorry). There’s a good 3-4 oz of metal shavings and the only sign I have is I had a squealing type sound when under load without clutch pulled. It would go away in neutral or with clutch in. I’ve pulled the valve cover, the clutch cover the clutch basket, the starter and I’m currently peeping at the cylider walls and head of piston and still see nothing out of place. I will upload as many pics as I can. Any advice is much appreciated!!! Ohh and I’ve contacted Q9 where I purchased and the way to call back at normal bizz hours. Thing is that it’s my daily driver. My only wheels. Gotta get her right ASAP. Thanks again:cry:

MrDeeds262 04-21-2019 04:40 PM

Also, there doesn’t seem to be hardly any shaving last in the bottom end. They must have all gotten flushed in the oil or?? There was quite a bit under the shift fork....

MrDeeds262 04-21-2019 07:04 PM

Cmon, anybody even have a guess? I have to ride into work in the am, so I’m sitting here hovering over this forum and studying blueprints and schematics so as to hopefully figure out what appearently I’m missing.

MAT 04-21-2019 07:11 PM

Aluminium or steel shavings?

Megadan 04-21-2019 07:27 PM

If I had to guess I would say a bearing on one of the transmission shafts gave out. More specifically I would say on the countershaft.

pete 04-21-2019 07:34 PM

wow....
looks like the machining process is still going on..
you won't know for sure till you pull it a part...

MrDeeds262 04-21-2019 07:55 PM

It’s steel. And I only have the bottom end left to look. Thanks for the response I was starting to feel a little ashamed / embarrassed. I will know for sure in an hour or so

roundhouse 04-21-2019 08:58 PM

Every time I change my oil I get several little pics of aluminum but never steel.

Check the throw out bearing. I bet you that is it.

timcosby 04-21-2019 09:00 PM

sometimes stuff just fails for no reason. im with megadan i think it is in the tranny area

timcosby 04-21-2019 09:01 PM

me thinks you may need to call a friend ....for a ride to work!

MrDeeds262 04-22-2019 02:36 AM

Well it’s been 12 hrs I have it in pieces and I don’t see any thing that could come close to creating that much metal. Do you think I could have dropped a bit or bolt or something doing valves or perhaps through the intake? I know it’s unlikely but I’m boggled. At least I had a reason to call in for at least a half day tomorrow. Hope something either shows itself cause I’m reluctant to go ahead and put it back together with out confirmation. Thanks everyone I appreciate your help!!

pete 04-22-2019 02:48 AM

noise goes with the clutch in.... that puts it in the gear box..
noise goes in neutral... that puts it in the out put shaft
out put shaft is the only part of the motor not turning in neutral...

I would guess the … out put shaft , gears on it , selector forks on those gears..

Kivi 04-22-2019 03:55 AM

Gears!

Ariel Red Hunter 04-22-2019 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrDeeds262 (Post 306792)
All the wonderful smart knowledgeable peeps on this site please lend me your guidance. I’ve had the Hawk250 for about 6 months. I’ve done all the mods that you guys have posted and what not. I’ve got right at 5500 miles on her and until now nothing has went wrong. I’ve changed my oil every 300-500 miles. Used the good stuff. I’ve stayed on top of loose nuts and bolts. So when I went to change my oil this time m, holy cow you’d think the challenger took off inside there (bad joke sorry). There’s a good 3-4 oz of metal shavings and the only sign I have is I had a squealing type sound when under load without clutch pulled. It would go away in neutral or with clutch in. I’ve pulled the valve cover, the clutch cover the clutch basket, the starter and I’m currently peeping at the cylider walls and head of piston and still see nothing out of place. I will upload as many pics as I can. Any advice is much appreciated!!! Ohh and I’ve contacted Q9 where I purchased and the way to call back at normal bizz hours. Thing is that it’s my daily driver. My only wheels. Gotta get her right ASAP. Thanks again:cry:

Transmission bearing breaking up? Dont forget to clean out the centrifugal oil cleaner. Output shaft wiggly? Definatly bearing in the trans...ARH :cry:

pete 04-22-2019 04:38 AM

I have never seen a bearing chip like that if it is steel as you say...
I am wondering if it is the dogs on one of the gears...