ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   New Member Introductions (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   New to the enduro ( hawk 250 gearing) (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=15248)

newtoenduro 09-30-2015 09:27 AM

New to the enduro ( hawk 250 gearing)

I just got my new hawk 250 and am having gearing problems I believe it is the sprockets. My bike only does 50 in 50th gear when they claim to to 60+ and seems like it's fighting for fuel when it is going 50 any help would be greatly appreciated thinking about getting new sprockets and wanted to know what size I should get I ride mostly on pavement and need more top end! Thanks in advance!!!

Adjuster 09-30-2015 09:37 AM

:hi: Welcome

The HAWK is currently one of the most discussed bikes on the forum. Do a search for HAWK and you will discover more information than you will ever need to know. Sprockets/gearing/speed is one of the main topics.

/

newtoenduro 09-30-2015 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adjuster (Post 193419)
:hi: Welcome

The HAWK is currently one of the most discussed bikes on the forum. Do a search for HAWK and you will discover more information than you will ever need to know. Sprockets/gearing/speed is one of the main topics.

/

Ok thanks I have done that already just wanted to kinda see what everybody else was going to and how it worked for them thanks again

Weldangrind 09-30-2015 11:54 AM

Welcome!

Is your bike new or new to you?

newtoenduro 09-30-2015 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 193437)
Welcome!

Is your bike new or new to you?

It is new new from the dealer

SpudRider 09-30-2015 01:20 PM

Welcome; we are glad you joined us. :hi:

newtoenduro 09-30-2015 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudRider (Post 193445)
Welcome; we are glad you joined us. :hi:

Thanks! Just hoping to get a little more info about this bike I can't find much on the sprocket sizes and what size I should with for top end

Mudflap 09-30-2015 04:41 PM

Hopefully a Hawk owner will chime in about the best ratio for that particular bike. For the CG type 200cc engines I prefer a 2.7/1 ratio for street use. A 250 could probably use a 2.6/1 but I'm not sure they have the same internal gearing.

newtoenduro 09-30-2015 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mudflap (Post 193456)
Hopefully a Hawk owner will chime in about the best ratio for that particular bike. For the CG type 200cc engines I prefer a 2.7/1 ratio for street use. A 250 could probably use a 2.6/1 but I'm not sure they have the same internal gearing.

Yeah I'm not sure if they would be the same either it is a 250 but it is actually a 229

Weldangrind 10-01-2015 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newtoenduro (Post 193443)
It is new new from the dealer

Ok, I wondered if there might be something partially clogging the main jet that would cause the "seems like it's fighting for fuel" symptom. Since it's new, the main jet is not likely to be blocked, although it is possible.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the main jet is a little too small for your engine.

IOW, you could be fighting a gearing and a jetting issue.

bogieboy 10-01-2015 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 193505)
Ok, I wondered if there might be something partially clogging the main jet that would cause the "seems like it's fighting for fuel" symptom. Since it's new, the main jet is not likely to be blocked, although it is possible.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the main jet is a little too small for your engine.

IOW, you could be fighting a gearing and a jetting issue.

i was thinking the same... however i had a chinese carb that i got off ebay NEW that still had casting sand in the float bowl and caused a similar situation on my old pocketbike....

i am guessing too lean of jetting (to pass emissions) or stuff in that carb....

jjn 10-01-2015 03:25 PM

I think you should count the teeth on both sprockets before you consider buying new sprocket(s). My notes show that someone wrote on here that their Hawk came with a 15 tooth front, and a 50 tooth rear. If it was mine, and it had a 15 front, I would get a 17 front and replace that. It would probably work with your current chain. I believe a one tooth change in the front is about equal to a three tooth change in the back. One person did this reusing the chain, and left it alone. But, sounds like you have a fuel problem also. My notes show that a JTF269.17T (JTF269.16T for the 16 tooth, etc) would fit your bike. I would not order anything though, till you verify what your bike came with as for number of teeth. This sprocket is available on Amazon, and probably ebay. If you just go to less teeth on the back, then you will probably have to replace your chain, or remove some links. That's the good thing about going up a tooth or two on the front, as your original chain will probably work. If you find it's too short by a little, put the original front sprocket back on and ride it on the backroads as you are breaking in that new engine. Your Chinese chain will soon stretch long enough so it will then work with the 17 tooth. Read this thread, as your Hawk may already have a 17 front and a smaller rear. you probably won't be able to go any bigger on the front as the sprocket may be too large.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=15203

Sounds like time to pull your carb off and check and clear all the jets. If they were clear, then maybe try a bigger main jet and/or raise the needle up a notch, assuming these have grooved needles. If they don't, you can use a very small washer to shim it up. Sometimes you have to go up more than one step in jet sizes, but if you try one step, you''l know if you are on the right track, as it will improve noticeably.

newtoenduro 10-01-2015 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjn (Post 193538)
I think you should count the teeth on both sprockets before you consider buying new sprocket(s). My notes show that someone wrote on here that their Hawk came with a 15 tooth front, and a 50 tooth rear. If it was mine, and it had a 15 front, I would get a 17 front and replace that. It would probably work with your current chain. I believe a one tooth change in the front is about equal to a three tooth change in the back. One person did this reusing the chain, and left it alone. But, sounds like you have a fuel problem also. My notes show that a JTF269.17T (JTF269.16T for the 16 tooth, etc) would fit your bike. I would not order anything though, till you verify what your bike came with as for number of teeth. This sprocket is available on Amazon, and probably ebay. If you just go to less teeth on the back, then you will probably have to replace your chain, or remove some links. That's the good thing about going up a tooth or two on the front, as your original chain will probably work. If you find it's too short by a little, put the original front sprocket back on and ride it on the backroads as you are breaking in that new engine. Your Chinese chain will soon stretch long enough so it will then work with the 17 tooth. Read this thread, as your Hawk may already have a 17 front and a smaller rear. you probably won't be able to go any bigger on the front as the sprocket may be too large.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=15203

Sounds like time to pull your carb off and check and clear all the jets. If they were clear, then maybe try a bigger main jet and/or raise the needle up a notch, assuming these have grooved needles. If they don't, you can use a very small washer to shim it up. Sometimes you have to go up more than one step in jet sizes, but if you try one step, you''l know if you are on the right track, as it will improve noticeably.

Thanks for the info I am going to keep the sprockets I have on for now! I changed the oil and it seems to be doing a little better I plan on getting new jets for it if I can find some for a reasonable price

newtoenduro 10-01-2015 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bogieboy (Post 193521)
i was thinking the same... however i had a chinese carb that i got off ebay NEW that still had casting sand in the float bowl and caused a similar situation on my old pocketbike....

i am guessing too lean of jetting (to pass emissions) or stuff in that carb....

I'm guessing it's too lean like you said the inside of my muffler is coated black I am going to get new jets I think it had no problem hitting 60 mph today well that's what the speedometer said anyways...

newtoenduro 10-01-2015 11:58 PM

What carb and jets do I need to get for my 250 hawk? and what store?