ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Ride Reports (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Olegeezer riding for Peru from Colombia (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=17943)

BlackBike 01-08-2017 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olegeezer (Post 240179)
I will be navigating by using an iphone7. I have ordered a T-Mobile sim card for this unlocked phone. T-Mobile has cell coverage through Telifonica in Colombia, Ecuador and Peru, Supposedly? Last year I just bought sim cards in Colombia and Ecuador and they worked but it was a real pain going into the providers office and getting service set up after I got there. Now, assuming I have some cell coverage I would like to enhance my maps with Google offline maps for use in navigating since I will most likely be in areas with little or no cellular data.
Anyone have advice or have used google maps offline for this purpose?
I have a week before I fly to Medellin.
Thanks
Joe (Olegeezer)

That Google maps app is great. Even the Nav part is now good, better I think than my Garmin dedicated gps device. I download the maps off the app for offline use...the trouble is the offline map data expires in 30 days, then you have to re-download again and again. If there is a way to purchase the data to always have it available for the maps app..I would be interested in buying it.:shrug:

olegeezer 01-08-2017 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ben2go (Post 240191)
Those are alpaca if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks Ben. After a little google research I believe they are "vicuña" .
What ever they're called it was a first for me. Found in the Andean highlands.
I remember getting quite cold on the mountain tops the day I saw them and I am taking a heated jacket for my return. I hope the AKT two fiddy has enough charging capacity to keep up?
I do confess to being a little spoiled back home for heated gear and grips.

ben2go 01-08-2017 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olegeezer (Post 240206)
Thanks Ben. After a little google research I believe they are "vicuña" .
What ever they're called it was a first for me. Found in the Andean highlands.
I remember getting quite cold on the mountain tops the day I saw them and I am taking a heated jacket for my return. I hope the AKT two fiddy has enough charging capacity to keep up?
I do confess to being a little spoiled back home for heated gear and grips.

You should have sheared one of those suckers and insulated your gear. :lmao:

I live in the foothills of the SC/NC mountains near the state line. I'm spoiled by the weather. If it's cold in the mountains, I head a little south to warmer weather. :tup:All tho, I prefer riding in the cold mountains over riding the flatter warmer south lands. :)

olegeezer 01-08-2017 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ben2go (Post 240211)
You should have sheared one of those suckers and insulated your gear. :lmao:

I live in the foothills of the SC/NC mountains near the state line. I'm spoiled by the weather. If it's cold in the mountains, I head a little south to warmer weather. :tup:All tho, I prefer riding in the cold mountains over riding the flatter warmer south lands. :)

What a great place you have to ride! My daughters family lives in Mt Pleasant and I rode from her place to Gaffney to Asheville last fall. The fall foliage was on and it was great!

ben2go 01-08-2017 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olegeezer (Post 240214)
What a great place you have to ride! My daughters family lives in Mt Pleasant and I rode from her place to Gaffney to Asheville last fall. The fall foliage was on and it was great!

Thanks. I enjoy it every chance I get. I really like the GA/TN/NC tristate area. Lots of good gravel roads and forest service areas to ride. The Tail of the Dragon is there, but it's getting to dangerous to ride, because of other riders and drivers being wreckless. :tdown:

Emerikol 01-09-2017 06:00 AM

-Ben, look me up the next time you want to get on the gravel/dirt in North Georgia. I live about 40 miles west of Atlanta, and I'm just about due for an overnight (or two) camping trip up that way. I'd like to get the chance to meet up and see someone else's stomping grounds.

-Geezer, please keep the updates coming when you fly back. Mrs. Emerikol and I are thinking about making a trip south of the border once she gets some riding experience under her belt. Nothing like the journey you're doing, just a couple days in Mexico to soak up the sights, sounds, and TACOS! :D I hear the border crossings from the states to Mexico are a little sketchy, but the common advice is to pass through with a full tank of gas, and ride as long as you can before you stop again. Any sage advice or personal experience on that?

ben2go 01-09-2017 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emerikol (Post 240229)
-Ben, look me up the next time you want to get on the gravel/dirt in North Georgia. I live about 40 miles west of Atlanta, and I'm just about due for an overnight (or two) camping trip up that way. I'd like to get the chance to meet up and see someone else's stomping grounds.

-Geezer, please keep the updates coming when you fly back. Mrs. Emerikol and I are thinking about making a trip south of the border once she gets some riding experience under her belt. Nothing like the journey you're doing, just a couple days in Mexico to soak up the sights, sounds, and TACOS! :D I hear the border crossings from the states to Mexico are a little sketchy, but the common advice is to pass through with a full tank of gas, and ride as long as you can before you stop again. Any sage advice or personal experience on that?

Will do. It will be April or later before I get out that way. I could go for an overnighter at TWoS.

Emerikol 01-09-2017 08:17 AM

That sounds great!

olegeezer 01-09-2017 12:41 PM

Quote:

I've been to Mexico twice on a bike (Kawi Versys 650) I really liked it. I agree on the border advice above and thats exactly what I did. I never felt unsafe in Mexico but I won't linger in the bigger towns or border towns. Copper Canyon was great but I nearly destroyed (cosmetically) my Versys trying to make a dual sport out of it there. Go for it I say!!

BlackBike 01-09-2017 06:28 PM

Quote:

I may get the stink eye from you but I think you and the Mrs should go for a domestic tour for her first big ride before leaving the usa on a first long ride. Jmo.

Emerikol 01-09-2017 07:26 PM

Sooooo, Interesting development about the Missus doing any riding...

She's been a bit under the weather for the past little bit, and finally she went to see the Dr this morning. Come to find out, she's pregnant! Now this is the sort of thing that happens everyday, but for the past seven or so years, we were under the impression that we couldn't have kids. So needless to say we're both very happy about this development. On the other hand, Mrs. Emerikol is super pissed off right now that we don't even have the title or tags for her new bike that she bought all by herself, and now she can't ride it. No coffee, seafood, or alcohol is also a thing that she's not happy about. We'll just have to push back our trips and adventures a few years now. I'm going to post a new thread letting everyone know the good news.

culcune 01-09-2017 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emerikol (Post 240279)
Sooooo, Interesting development about the Missus doing any riding... she's pregnant! good news.

Congrats!!!

Emerikol 01-10-2017 04:48 AM

Thanks!

olegeezer 01-20-2017 08:07 PM

On the Colombian tour finally

3 Attachment(s)
I arrived in Medellin 16Jan, spent 3nights there while doing some maintenance to the bike. I had a center stand put on, fixed the brake light and had a guy put higher watt head light bulb in. I rode east then south to Honda the first day. Today I continued south to Neiva. I should be in Ecuador in a couple of days. The 250 is doing well. Gettin 52mpg. Gas prices are $2.70/gal. I'm still under warranty but not for long.
Trying to post a few pics. The Hacienda Nogales is Pablo Escobar's place that has been turned into a theme park.
The high bridge goes directly into a tunnel and is North of Neiva on Rita 45.
I like the riding, the scenery and the people. The roads are in good to excellent condition. At the lower elevations it's very hot.

olegeezer 01-24-2017 10:15 AM

Mudslide or maybe a rock slide?

1 Attachment(s)
I made it to Puerto Asis, 100 km from the EC border. I was delayed 3 times fora total of 8 hrs due to md slides blocking the road. I have the 250TT in for a maintenance check under warranty. It is idling high when warm . This should've my last opportunity for warranty work as AKT Motos have o shops inthe countries south of Colombia.
The pic is an old slide where the had to construct a bypass.