ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Dual Sport/Enduro (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   New Hawk 250 issue (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=23851)

bgore 05-31-2019 10:32 PM

New Hawk 250 issue

Hi all! I am new to the forum. I apologize if this question has been asked before but I looked around and I didnt find a satisfactory answer.

So I got the bike yesterday and got it fully assembled (Yay!) When I started it up it started to smoke from the front end (from my research this sounds normal). I finally got the bike to idle at half choke, but I can not for the life of me get it to idle with the choke out. I took it for a spin and tried after that and still no luck. As soon as I put the choke out it dies instantly.

I tried adjusting the idle speed to no avail. Is this a carburetor issue or something else? I noticed when I was riding it rode fairly rough.

Thanks in advance for the help! I have a new carburetor on standby if that is the issue. I am definitely a noob when it comes to this kind of stuff.

roundhouse 05-31-2019 11:07 PM

I am no expert like these other guys. Probably carb. If you have a mikuni or can adjust the stocker then I bet it will solve your probs. Mine barely ran without the choke at 1/2 when I got it. I rejetted and adjusted idle mixture and it purrs like a kitten.

Megadan 06-01-2019 12:29 AM

You need to adjust the valve lash if you haven't done so already, and then you will definitely need to dial in the carb tune by rejetting the stock carb or swapping to a Mikuni.

bgore 06-01-2019 01:14 AM

Thanks guys! update I swapped to a Mikuni and rejetted to a 110. On a positive note the idle is great and it has more power. But I rode it around for a little bit and as soon as I put the choke out it died. I couldn't even keep it running by giving it gas. I am not familiar with a valve lash Ill have to look into it.

wedooit 06-01-2019 01:20 AM

You have to check the valves, and remember that engine is a four stroke, find top dead center....etc. There is a lot of info on this site as how to accomplish. It is not difficult, just walk thru it. You can do it!

Megadan 06-01-2019 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgore (Post 310783)
Thanks guys! update I swapped to a Mikuni and rejetted to a 110. On a positive note the idle is great and it has more power. But I rode it around for a little bit and as soon as I put the choke out it died. I couldn't even keep it running by giving it gas. I am not familiar with a valve lash Ill have to look into it.

Did you change the pilot jet or adjust the needle?

GronkFries 06-03-2019 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgore (Post 310768)
So I got the bike yesterday and got it fully assembled (Yay!) When I started it up it started to smoke from the front end (from my research this sounds normal). I finally got the bike to idle at half choke, but I can not for the life of me get it to idle with the choke out. I took it for a spin and tried after that and still no luck. As soon as I put the choke out it dies instantly.

I tried adjusting the idle speed to no avail. Is this a carburetor issue or something else? I noticed when I was riding it rode fairly rough.

My TBR7 did the same exact thing on all counts. Smoked and stank for a few minutes but came right out of it. Runs without dying on half choke, and when fully warmed up always have to adjust the idle down (And up again when cold) which I guess is normal too. The 88 jet is too small - I'm waiting on some bigger ones.

Still having run half choke with your Mikuni 110 main seems odd though. Maybe mixture screw adjustment?

pete 06-04-2019 03:17 AM

you use the term "choke out"... usually means the choke is on..
a hot motor normally will not idle with the choke on..

NzBrakelathes 06-04-2019 10:19 AM

Have you looked at the option to tune the carb? That’s pretty much a “must do” in most cases and advisable etc
If you look at my eBay store in the link below you will find somethings that are well worth considering.

What’s the other carb you have on hand?

bgore 06-04-2019 12:38 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. The issue I was having has seemed to fix itself with a little more breaking in! I can now ride with the choke off.

JerryHawk250 06-04-2019 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgore (Post 311052)
Thanks for the replies everyone. The issue I was having has seemed to fix itself with a little more breaking in! I can now ride with the choke off.

These engine loosen up after about 500-600 miles and will get smoother and shift easier.