ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Zongshen RX3 (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Neutral issues (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=15737)

woodlandsprite 01-03-2016 04:39 PM

Neutral issues

My bike has always been fussy about going into neutral while the engine is running - it always likes to skip from 1st to 2nd and 2nd right back to 1st usually - with nary a blink at the "N"

Today while out riding, it was actually being fussy about hopping up to 2nd from 1st several times - I'd go to shift, think I was in 2nd, and turns out the bike had settled into Neutral instead of 2nd! :ohno:

Of course when I stopped to fuel up, it once again didn't want to go into Neutral and I had to turn the bike off, then put it in Neutral. :doh:

Anyone had issues like this before?

detours 01-03-2016 05:33 PM

Neutral isn't always easy for me to find either. But I've only had incomplete shifts past neutral a couple of times on the RX3. On other bikes that happened when I used Rotella 15w-40. Also when I rode with new boots before I got used to them.

It's possible the retaining bolt on the shifter is loose too. Worth a quick check anyway.

woodlandsprite 01-03-2016 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by detours (Post 202175)
Neutral isn't always easy for me to find either. But I've only had incomplete shifts past neutral a couple of times on the RX3. On other bikes that happened when I used Rotella 15w-40. Also when I rode with new boots before I got used to them.

It's possible the retaining bolt on the shifter is loose too. Worth a quick check anyway.

Thanks detours. I was riding with new boots and I had moved/swapped the shifter recently also to accommodate. Will recheck the retaining bolt also before taking it out again.

CSaddict 01-03-2016 07:06 PM

Please update this if you find the solution.

SpudRider 01-04-2016 03:44 AM

I'm confident Detours has diagnosed the problem, which is probably caused by either a loose bolt, and/or the new boots. ;)

I have never had any problems shifting, and such problems are not commonly reported by other RX3 owners. The NC250 engine has an excellent transmission. :) Also, I don't have any problems finding neutral, even with the engine running. I use Mobil Delvac 1300, 15W/40 motor oil in my RX3.

Lee R 01-04-2016 08:28 AM

Have a look at the clutch cable and chain slack as well to verify they're in spec. They can impact shifting as well. Mine shifts quite smooth but occasionally is fussy with neutral, usually rocking the bike back and forth helps.

woodlandsprite 01-04-2016 09:58 AM

Thanks Gents.
I currently have Maxima 10w40 in the bike. As I mentioned, it's always been fussy about getting into neutral while running - and I've checked the clutch cable slack. Will have a look at the chain slack too.

Might switch back to my old boots for a ride also just to see if that is contributing. The new boots have a taller toe box and are significantly more rigid and protective than my old boots.

kohburn 01-04-2016 10:03 AM

maybe its just me? but I almost never try to hit neutral when sitting on my bikes. I only ever kick it into neutral to start the bike and let it idle to warm up, or very rarely for an extended sit on the bike talking to someone.

mckayprod 01-04-2016 12:09 PM

I had the hardest time finding neutral until the last oil change, when I switched to synthetic oil. Neutral is still fussy, but much better. This has been reported elsewhere in the forum, but I wanted to confirm with my experience.

keithmaine 01-04-2016 12:16 PM

My bike always shifted into neutral very easily, sitting still or rolling to a stop, except after last weekends ride. Now the bike is covered in mud and due for the first oil change. I am confident that after all is cleaned, oiled and oil changed she will be back to the way she was.

Danimal 01-04-2016 12:39 PM

Folks. There isn't a modern wet clutch motor made that likes to shift into neutral when the bike is sitting still. Some are better than others but none do it easily.
Get into the habit of snicking her into N as you are slowing to your stop. You should already be in N when you come to a stop.

woodlandsprite 01-04-2016 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kohburn (Post 202236)
maybe its just me? but I almost never try to hit neutral when sitting on my bikes. I only ever kick it into neutral to start the bike and let it idle to warm up, or very rarely for an extended sit on the bike talking to someone.

I'm in the habit of putting the bike in Neutral when I park it - mostly so I don't forget to put it in Neutral before starting it :P I don't tend to put it in Neutral when I'm stopped and on the bike.

rjmorel 01-04-2016 01:59 PM

Mine was getting hard to get into neutral with Valvoline oil with around 3200 miles on that oil change. When I changed it to Honda oil made it much easier to get into neutral. Maybe dirty oil cause hard neutral find or different brand helped in my case. Have around 6200 miles on bike . rj

woodlandsprite 01-04-2016 02:39 PM

thanks RJ.
I had to laugh. I was just reading the motorcyclist review and they said:
"there is a rumor that RX3s have a neutral position, and I can now confirm these rumors to be true. At least you will never miss the first-to-second shift because you'll never find neutral from first."

hmm. I'll keep an eye on it - my next oil change was going to have me switching to valvoline...(I've only got just over 500 mi on the bike - here's hoping this year is more productive from a riding standpoint, especially as I am finally getting more comfortable on it)

2LZ 01-04-2016 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mckayprod (Post 202248)
I had the hardest time finding neutral until the last oil change, when I switched to synthetic oil. Neutral is still fussy, but much better. This has been reported elsewhere in the forum, but I wanted to confirm with my experience.

Bingo. I don't have an RX3 but BOTH my Victory's didn't like finding neutral easily on those occasions that I was sitting, especially when new. Then I switched to full synthetic. Major, immediate difference. Never switched back to the factory semi-synth.