ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   ATVs (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   Linhai 300cc 4x4 starter clutch (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34140)

dugndeep 04-24-2024 07:43 AM

Linhai 300cc 4x4 starter clutch

Went to start the atv yesterday and wouldn't turn over.I could hear the starter whirling but that was it.I thought maybe a pin or something had come out of the starter gear & wasn't allowing the starter gear to spin,just the shaft.So I went to taking it apart,air filter box to expose the starter,then 2 screws that held the starter on & found out the starter was okay so it has to be the starter clutch.Went to youtube and found a video which pretty much explains it all on how to replace the starter clutch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1aH...ist=LL&index=1

dugndeep 04-24-2024 07:45 AM

So got on Ebay and ordered a starter clutch,part number 23706 and a gasket,part number 23617.Just to be sure I get a gasket I ordered another gasket from a different seller.

dugndeep 04-24-2024 08:34 AM

I started this thread by using the Linhai name which is who it is made by,the name on the tank is Vitacci but it has Linhai stamped everywhere so.......

dugndeep 04-24-2024 09:01 AM

I might not need a gasket but you never know plus the starter clutch might be a weak part on these China made atv's so I'll have extra gaskets.I never had a bit of trouble out of the Tao Motor Bull 200 starter or starter clutch I reckon.It was a good starting & running made in China atv.I am going to have to break it out to use till my parts come in for the Linhai/Vitacci.The Bull 200 should start right up because the only fuel it has ever had was non-alcohol,just like the Linhai.I use non-alcohol in all my small engines.

dugndeep 04-28-2024 10:12 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Got things apart,just waiting on parts.

dugndeep 04-28-2024 10:23 AM

I got lucky & the cover come off without tearing up the gasket.Oil pump is right there under the magneto.

dugndeep 04-28-2024 10:44 AM

The Magneto bolt size is M8-1.25 & I don't have any long enough to pull off the magneto with the Harmonic balance puller I got,the point doesn't come off my puller so it's 2" just to get to the magneto & about 4" to pull it off.

dugndeep 04-28-2024 10:47 AM

I was lucky I wasn't down the creek somewhere or at the river when the starter clutch went bad.It would have been hell to get it back to the house to work on it.Lucky I had just got on it in the barn.

Jb2487 04-28-2024 04:39 PM

Thanks for sharing the video of fixing the starter clutch, do I have to have the harmonic puller to get to the starter clutch or is there another method.

dugndeep 04-28-2024 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jb2487 (Post 407614)
Thanks for sharing the video of fixing the starter clutch, do I have to have the harmonic puller to get to the starter clutch or is there another method.

You might could use a jaw puller that goes behind the magneto if it will grab a hold of the back side.You got to watch though,you might gouge the magneto and throw it out of balance.I believe I would just go with a harmonic balancer puller.You can buy a whole puller kit with different size bolts for less than $25 dollars with free shipping on Ebay.That's what I did.
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/-HYAA...jlW/s-l140.jpg

dugndeep 04-29-2024 08:59 AM

I wonder if there is anyway possible to roll start one of these that has automatic transmission?This one does have hi-low forward.

dugndeep 04-29-2024 09:23 AM

Probably going to order another starter clutch just to have one.I noticed the starter made funny noises sometimes starting, when I first got it.Would hear a clunk every now & then.Like the clutch might have been hanging up,idk.I don't know who you would call a name brand manufacturer of these starter clutches to maybe order a better one?Probably just order one from Aliexpress.I didn't want to wait on the slow boat from China this time so I paid more to have one shipped from here & not China.

dugndeep 04-29-2024 09:26 AM

My starter clutch will be here today,still haven't got the magneto off yet,still trying to find longer M8-1.25 locally without having to order them off the internet.My local Fastenal doesn't have the length I need in stock.

Jb2487 04-29-2024 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dugndeep (Post 407652)
I wonder if there is anyway possible to roll start one of these that has automatic transmission?This one does have hi-low forward.

I’m not 100% sure but from what I have heard I don’t think so.

Jb2487 04-29-2024 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dugndeep (Post 407654)
Probably going to order another starter clutch just to have one.I noticed the starter made funny noises sometimes starting, when I first got it.Would hear a clunk every now & then.Like the clutch might have been hanging up,idk.I don't know who you would call a name brand manufacturer of these starter clutches to maybe order a better one?Probably just order one from Aliexpress.I didn't want to wait on the slow boat from China this time so I paid more to have one shipped from here & not China.

I noticed when my atv is cold it starts right up but after it has warmed up I’ll have to give a little throttle while starting and it’s starts up fine and there have been times it sounded clunky too.