ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Dual Sport/Enduro (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Magician CUTS OUT at full throttle.. Any ideas? (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=22349)

davisbm2 10-11-2018 09:09 AM

Magician CUTS OUT at full throttle.. Any ideas?

Hey!

I love my Magician. After a carb tuning, a new LED display, and some valve adjustments she starts right up every time.

HOWEVER when I am at full throttle, and only at full throttle (7/8 throttle wont do this) the bike will cut out suddenly. Its like the RPMs just drop. My first thought was a fuel issue but it is less of a "bogging" feeling more of a sudden loss of power.

The loss of power is sudden but the bike keeps going fine, it doesn't kill the engine just slows it, which at 50mph can feel like tapping the brakes without you planning on it. A bit scary.

I have gone smaller with my main jet, and larger with my main jet. Has the same problem regardless. I have the upgraded NGK spark plug, maybe a poor coil? Could it be reeds? Maybe even a valve problem?

Any ideas?

Red Hawk 10-11-2018 09:30 AM

My Hawk PZ30 carb did this when I got too optimistic with rejeting the main jet size. I drooped down 2 sizes and it went away. I could barely make it up a hill downshifting and all.

JerryHawk250 10-11-2018 09:36 AM

Since you tried different jets that should rule that out. What size jets? Did you get true mikuni jets or the cheap set they sell on ebay and amazon? these are know for being inaccurately labeled. Visually inspect the jets and make sure they are different sizes. If the jets are good then it could be a weak coil or just a bad ground causing a weak spark.

davisbm2 10-11-2018 10:39 AM

I got mid range jets off of Amazon, I think the ones recommended from Motocheez.

I can't remember what size is in there right now.. But the stock one was making it run very lean, so I went up one size and it ran much better but could be hard to start.... I then jumped up one more size and it has been very happy, minus the cutting out problem at full throttle.

What size jets are you guys running? Also, can I visually check the strength of the spark, or should I use a multimeter?

davisbm2 10-11-2018 10:42 AM

Also, I don't know much about reeds, do I need to be worried about them with an 8 month old bike with 500 miles? Are there any known issues with RPS Hawk/ Magician reeds?

Red Hawk 10-11-2018 11:00 AM

2 strokes have reeds

4 strokes have Valves

Unless there's something new out there?

davisbm2 10-11-2018 08:54 PM

Ah.. That moment when you learn something you should have known years ago..

So, let's get creative here... What else could cause my full throttle cutting out issues? I'm leaning towards electrical at this point..

thanks!

JerryHawk250 10-11-2018 09:11 PM

What size jet do you have in it now?

Red Hawk 10-11-2018 09:36 PM

I'd make a guess it's fuel or spark, Not air. I had a bad plug wire it would ground out and spark from the wire to the block, it killed the power band. I could only see it in the dark. I knew there was a problem I just couldn't find it.

Or Something can be off in the carb? Wrong jet, miss marked. Needle valve not installed correctly or what ever "this" problem from what you've said would be too much fuel on the main jet circuit.

Engine runs flat at full throttle but would have a huge power band, right?

Red Hawk 10-11-2018 09:44 PM

Also I installed an in line fuel filter, nice one too. It wrecked the fuel flow and made the engine run like trash at full throttle. Bought a cheep looking filter and it's perfect :D

Just an idea, sorry, kinda hard to fix by message, there's good people here, you'll get it !

pete 10-12-2018 12:20 AM

When you say full throttle...
is this full throttle as in the twist grip
or full throttle as in max revs..

wheel spinner 10-12-2018 07:55 AM

if this was a problem on my Roketa I would look at fuel flow... also carburetor problems... staving for fuel... an ignition problem will be a problem through out the rpm's... but a fuel problem wot would probably be low fuel in the bowel and star staving for fuel... check your float settings... :tup: