ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Dual Sport/Enduro (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Hawk leak (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=20274)

Lit Hawk 11-19-2017 01:57 PM

Hawk leak

2 Attachment(s)
So this morning I woke up to a oil leak under my bike. Can anyone tell me why this is leaking and if I can fix it. Thanks

Megadan 11-19-2017 02:51 PM

Looks like a head gasket seeping oil.

ben2go 11-19-2017 04:54 PM

That or one of the O-rings that seals the oil passage between the head and cylinder has went bad.

silva 11-19-2017 06:12 PM

Head gasket

https://www.ebay.com/itm/222260062961

Lit Hawk 11-19-2017 06:49 PM

Awesome. Thanks for the help:tup:

JeremyC 11-19-2017 09:05 PM

That one looks a bit further gone than mine did, but you might consider attempting a retorque of the head bolts. It may stop. I caught mine at the first signs of an oil film.

Megadan 11-19-2017 09:48 PM

Head bolt torque is 29lb-ft. If you remove the head, retorque in at least 2 stages in a criss.cross pattern.

Lit Hawk 12-11-2017 07:38 PM

So i got my new gaskets in today. How hard is it to change them out?

JeremyC 12-11-2017 08:05 PM

Not hard, just don't drop your pushrods down inside LOL!

Lit Hawk 12-25-2017 06:39 PM

So I tourqed it at 29 ft lb and it still seems loose is this correct

Megadan 12-26-2017 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lit Hawk (Post 271074)
So I tourqed it at 29 ft lb and it still seems loose is this correct

No, it is not correct. It sounds like something wasn't seated properly.

Lit Hawk 12-27-2017 07:38 PM

Finally got to test it out and no leak so far everything looks good. I think that torque wrench was just so easy to turn the bolts they felt like they weren’t tight at all. :thanks:

Megadan 12-27-2017 08:34 PM

After a couple of full heat cycles or say 100 miles of riding, it would be a good idea to go back and check those head bolts one more time.

Lit Hawk 01-01-2018 01:54 PM

So I took the hawk out riding Saturday and now I have to turn the throttle up to get it to start way more than usual. When it starts to warm up it’ll idle way to high I’ll have to adjust but it then acts like it’s going to die, almost like somethings sticking. It rides fine it’s jyst when I come to a stop it’s idling high then slowly starts dropping till I have to give it throttle. I’m not sure if it’s because I didn’t adjust my valves correctly I set them at .002,.003. I tried adjusting the carb but it’s the same. Any suggestions?

Megadan 01-01-2018 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lit Hawk (Post 271330)
So I took the hawk out riding Saturday and now I have to turn the throttle up to get it to start way more than usual. When it starts to warm up it’ll idle way to high I’ll have to adjust but it then acts like it’s going to die, almost like somethings sticking. It rides fine it’s jyst when I come to a stop it’s idling high then slowly starts dropping till I have to give it throttle. I’m not sure if it’s because I didn’t adjust my valves correctly I set them at .002,.003. I tried adjusting the carb but it’s the same. Any suggestions?

Suggestions.

Don't adjust the base idle speed. Once the bike is nice and hot, say after 10 minutes of riding, set the idle to 1500rpm and don't mess with it unless your idle speed once warmed up has changed due to air temps. Get used to the idea of "nursing" the throttle to keep it idling until the bike is up to temp.

You aren't mentioning if you are using the choke when trying to start or not, so that leaves an unknown variable.

Usually a racing idle as you describe is caused by a lean condition on the pilot/mixture circuit. This style of carb doesn't adjust for air density like a CV carburetor, so as the temps outside swing up and down the AFR also changes with them. If your pilot or idle mixture were just a hair lean during warmer temps, then they can start to be too lean with a big enough difference in air temp.

So before I suggest too much, can you describe if you are using the choke on these cold starts? That will really determine the direction I go with more suggestions.