ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Zongshen RX3 (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   NC250 topend reliability-post up (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=19389)

Roronoa Zoro 06-21-2017 05:56 PM

NC250 topend reliability-post up

Am interested only in motors with over 10,000 miles on them
Have your valves settled somewhat? Are you seeing stability that promises long motor life?
Post basic info please. Miles on motor. Changes needed to valves and amount of variance.
Feedback may end up helping the Mfg decide to upgrade material spec requirements for components, etc
Thx in advance

fjmartin 06-21-2017 06:41 PM

I'm at 8100 miles and will be doing a valve adjustment next week in prep for my 3500 mile ride in Alaska. Afterwards I'll check them again and post up the results. Think mid to late July. Should have about 12000 miles on it by then.

Intake valves haven't moved on mine since mile 1500. Exhaust valves keep slowing down their movement every time I check/adjust them.

Roronoa Zoro 06-21-2017 07:19 PM

Thanks fjmartin. Exactly the kind of data needed. Seems to be intakes with mine too that are taking a while

rjmorel 06-22-2017 02:01 AM

Over 14,280 mi. on mine I think. Normal maintenance. Valves adjusted 3-4 times. Don't pay too much attention to them other then when it lets me know it wants it's valves adjusted by dying when coming to a stop. Never left me regretting that I bought it and has brought me home from everything from 24hr/1000 mi. iron butt to week long Baja ride and numerous camping trips.
I'm leaving tomorrow for Alaska by way of Glacier National Park and Yellowstone and wouldn't hesitate to take the RX3 on this 7-8000 mile trip other then I will be riding with other 650cc size bikes so will take my NC700x to keep things more copasetic. If I was by myself and had all the time in the world I would rather ride the RX3 cause of it's comfort and fun factor. Really really, rj

Roronoa Zoro 06-22-2017 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjmorel (Post 259782)
Over 14,280 mi. on mine I think. Normal maintenance. Valves adjusted 3-4 times. Don't pay too much attention to them other then when it lets me know it wants it's valves adjusted by dying when coming to a stop. Never left me regretting that I bought it and has brought me home from everything from 24hr/1000 mi. iron butt to week long Baja ride and numerous camping trips.
I'm leaving tomorrow for Alaska by way of Glacier National Park and Yellowstone and wouldn't hesitate to take the RX3 on this 7-8000 mile trip other then I will be riding with other 650cc size bikes so will take my NC700x to keep things more copasetic. If I was by myself and had all the time in the world I would rather ride the RX3 cause of it's comfort and fun factor. Really really, rj

So you have no data to contribute to this thread?

Sullybiker 06-22-2017 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roronoa Zoro (Post 259796)
So you have no data to contribute to this thread?

I think there's quite a lot of data in there, it also meets your criteria. If you want actual measurements, ask for them.

Roronoa Zoro 06-22-2017 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sullybiker (Post 259798)
I think there's quite a lot of data in there, it also meets your criteria. If you want actual measurements, ask for them.

I didn't see anything in his comments detailing whether valve settings have stabilized. Or which valves haven't (if applicable)
Why the attitude?

NoVa Rider 06-22-2017 05:05 PM

I liked reading rjmorel's post but I understand Zoro's purpose with this specific thread. After owners put 10,000 miles on the RX3, is there a point when valve settings start changing, as a possible indicator of valve recession, cam wear, or whatever. I have about 7200 miles on my RX3, valve lash was unchanged at the last inspection, but I would like to have a rough idea when I may be in store for some top end work, ala Spud.

Roronoa Zoro 06-22-2017 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoVa Rider (Post 259856)
I liked reading rjmorel's post but I understand Zoro's purpose with this specific thread. After owners put 10,000 miles on the RX3, is there a point when valve settings start changing, as a possible indicator of valve recession, cam wear, or whatever. I have about 7200 miles on my RX3, valve lash was unchanged at the last inspection, but I would like to have a rough idea when I may be in store for some top end work, ala Spud.

Right on the money

Sullybiker 06-22-2017 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roronoa Zoro (Post 259860)
Right on the money

I don't mean to be rude, and I'm sorry if it comes across that way.

It's possible that Spud's case was unusual, particularly given the fact the problem valves were on the intake side, which are typically subject to less heat and stress than the exhaust side; he may have just been unlucky.

That valves are unchanged around 7-8k is probably good sign.

Really a wider net is needed - there's a lot of these bikes around, and if top-end rebuilds on or around 20k were needed I really think you'd be hearing a lot about it, as there's got to be some parts of the world where these things are used hard.

Collecting data is definitely a useful exercise, assuming people take notes.

AZRider 06-23-2017 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjmorel (Post 259782)

I'm in Idaho right now and intended to ride through Glacier but reports are that the road is closed part way. You can ride in either side but not all the way through.

Roronoa Zoro 06-23-2017 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZRider (Post 259885)
I'm in Idaho right now and intended to ride through Glacier but reports are that the road is closed part way. You can ride in either side but not all the way through.

Please keep posts on this thread on topic.
Thanks

AZRider 06-24-2017 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roronoa Zoro (Post 259900)
Please keep posts on this thread on topic.
Thanks

:doh: :thanks:

BlackBike 06-24-2017 08:43 PM

Now I gotta post it...

Use your own sound effects

https://media.giphy.com/media/12V3JnMWQrKwhy/giphy.gif

dpl096 06-24-2017 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackBike (Post 260030)

Amen! That was a great show!