ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Dual Sport/Enduro (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Hawk 250 burning oil, Cone Air filter (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=23905)

a1a5115 06-10-2019 05:08 PM

Hawk 250 burning oil, Cone Air filter

Hi,
Just before Christmas my son and I got a new Hawk 250 from RPS in Texas. He is the main rider and has enjoyed upgrading the bike. It has about a 1000 miles on it and starting seriously burning oil. He had put one of those "cone" air filters on it and had been doing quite a bit off road riding lately with his friends.
I pulled the top off the engine and the piston and rings were badly worn. I thought I would have trouble finding parts but I "googled" CG250 piston and was amazed at how available they were. From a ebay seller we got a new piston, rings, wrist pin and retainers for 15 bucks, FREE shipping.! I was also able to find the Honda service manual for the CG engine.
I honed out the cylinder and when we got the new piston it was identical to the old one. Put it all back together last night, runs great and no oil smoke.
I think if you are going to use your bike off road or in dusty conditions you might want to stick with a paper filter.
Hope this helps someone,
Paul

ChipToothy 06-10-2019 06:39 PM

By chance had the filter been properly oiled? I’ve ran mine through knee deep water along with dirt roading 50-100 miles a week and no gunk in the carb since I bought the bike 14 months ago.

It’s good the repairs were so cheap!!

a1a5115 06-10-2019 07:28 PM

I'm not sure how it was oiled, but you can hold it up to the light and see plenty of spaces.

Megadan 06-10-2019 07:34 PM

Dual element foam filter with the inner foam oiled is much better if you will encounter dirt/dust. Gone several thousand miles on and off road and not one spec of dirt in my carb.

dpl096 06-10-2019 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a1a5115 (Post 311561)
Hi,
Just before Christmas my son and I got a new Hawk 250 from RPS in Texas. He is the main rider and has enjoyed upgrading the bike. It has about a 1000 miles on it and starting seriously burning oil. He had put one of those "cone" air filters on it and had been doing quite a bit off road riding lately with his friends.
I pulled the top off the engine and the piston and rings were badly worn. I thought I would have trouble finding parts but I "googled" CG250 piston and was amazed at how available they were. From a ebay seller we got a new piston, rings, wrist pin and retainers for 15 bucks, FREE shipping.! I was also able to find the Honda service manual for the CG engine.
I honed out the cylinder and when we got the new piston it was identical to the old one. Put it all back together last night, runs great and no oil smoke.
I think if you are going to use your bike off road or in dusty conditions you might want to stick with a paper filter.
Hope this helps someone,
Paul

Plain and simple... You won't rebuild the top end of a jap bike with new parts mind you.... For 15 bucks. I'm glad it worked out for you

2LZ 06-11-2019 10:20 AM

Agree with MD. The K&N-type filters I use for street and light trail applications. Anytime I had a dedicated dirt bike, I got an Uni or Uni-type filter and oiled it. They work great for heavy dust.

JerryHawk250 06-11-2019 10:41 AM

Same here as MD and 2LZ. Properly oil filter will keep the dust out. My bike is quickly approaching the 6000 mile mark. I stuck my bore scope in over the weekend just to check things out. I still see cross hatch on the cylinder walls. Still has good compression as in no loss of. I have been running synthetic ever since my initial break-in. Approx. 800 miles.
Glad to see you got her fixed up. :tup: Gotta love these low cost bikes. Try fixing a Jap bike for that cost. lol

Sport Rider 06-11-2019 01:30 PM

excellent that it was cheap to repair!

Wild Dog 06-11-2019 06:55 PM

Foam is the way to go, there are some foam filters that fit the stock airbox. Oil them from time to time and we are good to go.

Pathfinders 06-11-2019 08:07 PM

Congrats on the cheap fix.

Roy

Weldangrind 06-12-2019 11:26 AM

This is the one I like, but you might need a straight neck: https://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-42mm-...MAAOSwFV9X0l39