ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   New Member Introductions (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Hello All... (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=13053)

Spada3man 10-06-2013 06:10 PM

Hello All...

Hello the Forum!
I've just bought a V-Raptor 250, just 2 years old with 500 miles on it. I'm impressed with it so far as it does as much as I want it to - so far! My biking goes back to 1959 and I haven't even tried to count the bikes I've had but remember lots of riding in all sorts of weathers and meetings with some characters along the way.
The V-Raptor is running very lean - needs half-choke to even run at all. I've raised the needle to the bottom notch but before I start altering the jetting does anyone on the forum know what the standard jets should be? I stand a chance of selecting better size jets if I know the standard setup is what I've got. Also, is the carb based on a Mikuni or a Keihin?
Cheers
David (Spada3man)

culcune 10-06-2013 10:06 PM

Welcome to here! The fact that the V-Raptors aren't available in N. America, I am guessing you aren't from here?

Weldangrind 10-06-2013 10:38 PM

Welcome!

Please show us pics, including the carb. We can likely guide you from there.

SpudRider 10-07-2013 01:16 AM

Welcome; we are glad you joined us. :hi: Several members of these forums own V-Raptor motorcycles; I hope they will drop in soon to answer your questions. :)

Krasi_BG 10-07-2013 04:15 AM

Hi and welcome.

It's more of a Mikuni, but as far as I can tell its jets are "strange" so I wouldn't bet that standard Mikuni jets will be a direct fit.

Spada3man 10-07-2013 05:40 PM

First ride... Not quite a tragedy...

Having somewhat recovered, I went out on the V-Raptor today to get some oil - I intend to use fully synthetic to help the cooling as well as the lubing of the engine and FS oil has definite benefits. I went in to Grantham and returned with a trip along the Great North Road in order to see how it ran... Quite badly was the answer! It ran very lean and hot - so that confirms that it is running lean and it wouldn't top 80kph.
I had a reply from Skyteam about the jets used and their man Charlie said that main is 110 and pilot is 50 in the latest models! so probably mine has different jets as it's a couple of years old. I need to strip the jets out to see what are in it and go from there. Let's hope they are marked. Other than that, I enjoyed the brief ride and will post some photos asap of the carb and the bike.

FastDoc 10-07-2013 07:13 PM

Welcome to the forum. There are a number of (older) people who have owned many many bikes and get a kick out of the challenges of CB ownership ;-)

Did you get your bike new? Could it have a partially clogged jet? Your symptoms fit.

They are jetted lean fromt he factory usually to meet emmisions requirements and give the best economy (I figure) but they usually run OK, especially with the stock airbox and exhaust, which I figure you are running?

Spada3man 10-09-2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FastDoc (Post 158516)
Welcome to the forum. There are a number of (older) people who have owned many many bikes and get a kick out of the challenges of CB ownership ;-)

Did you get your bike new? Could it have a partially clogged jet? Your symptoms fit.

They are jetted lean fromt he factory usually to meet emmisions requirements and give the best economy (I figure) but they usually run OK, especially with the stock airbox and exhaust, which I figure you are running?

Hi again,
I've stripped out the jets and find the main is a 105 and the pilot a 38 - no wonder it wouldn't tick over! I've ordered the jet kit from Skyteam (the sprocket is extra - which makes the jets a bit expensive at £19,95!) so should be able to report any improvements when they arrive. I somehow doubt that a 105 will feed enough fuel - but I'll have the 105 to play with - when I can find my set of very small drill bits and can measure the two hole diameters... I'll do that before fitting the new jets and then plug chop to check the mixture... That way I'll have an idea of the flow rate difference and how it has affected the mixture. Fingers crossed!