ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Dual Sport/Enduro (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Ohio street legality (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=18828)

Jarwolf 04-20-2017 02:18 PM

Ohio street legality

Hello any fellow members from OH. Is this bike STREET LEGAL to drive on the road? I don't want to purchase if it isn't.

https://www.killermotorsports.com/rp...dirt-bike.html:thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks:

Reason for Editing:
Okay so, I ended up just now calling the local DMV / BMV, they said some odd shit about the mirriors, head lights, and get this, it has to have a wind shield! What the bleeeeep! So....well...I really want this bike to work on the road as I am broke and it is the only bike I can afford. Is there an aftermarket windshield by any chance that I can install onto the bike when I purchase it? :'(

Also does this bike have a VIN number and a FMVSS sticker anywhere? If anyone is in OH and managed to get this bike actually registered and street legal, I would be really, really blessed if you could help me out get mine street legal!

JerryHawk250 04-20-2017 02:40 PM

Here's a list of states that people had success. http://www.chinariders.net/showpost....77&postcount=1 But FYI that bike is not in stock there.

JerryHawk250 04-20-2017 02:53 PM

Motobuy has the green Enforcer in stock. and is 49 state legal. Call before you to make sure it is still in stock because they may gone quick. http://www.motobuys.com/db-08-200-rkta.html

Ariel Red Hunter 04-20-2017 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarwolf (Post 252648)
Hello any fellow members from OH. Is this bike STREET LEGAL to drive on the road? I don't want to purchase if it isn't.

https://www.killermotorsports.com/rp...dirt-bike.html:thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks:

Reason for Editing:
Okay so, I ended up just now calling the local DMV / BMV, they said some odd shit about the mirriors, head lights, and get this, it has to have a wind shield! What the bleeeeep! So....well...I really want this bike to work on the road as I am broke and it is the only bike I can afford. Is there an aftermarket windshield by any chance that I can install onto the bike when I purchase it? :'(

Also does this bike have a VIN number and a FMVSS sticker anywhere? If anyone is in OH and managed to get this bike actually registered and street legal, I would be really, really blessed if you could help me out get mine street legal!

VIN is stamped on a plate affixed to the head stock. It is important that the MCO/MSO says motorcycle and not dirt bike....ARH

Jarwolf 04-23-2017 09:38 AM

Dear JerryHawk250, I thank you for the wonderful advice! Sadly, I would not be able to get the Enforcer, as the link I provided, I can use Affirm and without the assembly, it has me pay a down payment of $320, which I can perhaps get away with, compared to a $450 on the Enforcer. I saw that it said Ohio was successful, does that mean it is road worthy in OH?

Dear Ariel Red Hunter, Thanks for the advice as well! May I ask if the MCO/MSO says that it is a motorcycle or not? How would I be able to find this out before I purchase the bike as I can't return it if it's based on street legality.

dpl096 04-23-2017 10:17 AM

Jarwolf....
Just be very careful taking the word of any of the online CB sellers unless it is someone with a solid reputation and well documented from members of this site --- then you are safe...otherwise too many of these "whole sellers" will tell you whatever u need to hear. ....

Jarwolf 04-23-2017 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpl096 (Post 252978)
Jarwolf....
Just be very careful taking the word of any of the online CB sellers unless it is someone with a solid reputation and well documented from members of this site --- then you are safe...otherwise too many of these "whole sellers" will tell you whatever u need to hear. ....

Thank you for the advice! May I ask what you suggest?

Ariel Red Hunter 04-23-2017 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarwolf (Post 252976)
Dear JerryHawk250, I thank you for the wonderful advice! Sadly, I would not be able to get the Enforcer, as the link I provided, I can use Affirm and without the assembly, it has me pay a down payment of $320, which I can perhaps get away with, compared to a $450 on the Enforcer. I saw that it said Ohio was successful, does that mean it is road worthy in OH?

Dear Ariel Red Hunter, Thanks for the advice as well! May I ask if the MCO/MSO says that it is a motorcycle or not? How would I be able to find this out before I purchase the bike as I can't return it if it's based on street legality.

When you buy the bike, you just tell them it has to say on the MCO/MSO that it is a motorcycle, and not a dirtbike. Even if you tell them, sometimes they get it wrong, so read it when you get it to make sure it says motorcycle. If it doesn't, call them back and tell them (again) that it has to say motorcycle on it. You want all of the paperwork correct before you go to DMV the first time...ARH

TheRagingWrench 04-23-2017 06:11 PM

I'm in Ohio as well. Bought a Magician that is due here tomorrow morning. From what I gathered Ohio BMV website. Is the following.

What Do I Need to Bring to the Title Office?

APVs and off-road motorcycles purchased on or after 07/01/1999:

• Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO)
  • If titling from another state, certificate of title in applicant's name or assigned to Ohio resident (if applicable)
  • For out-of-state titles only, an out-of-state vehicle identification number (VIN) inspection; inspections can be obtained at any Ohio deputy registrar license agency (click HERE for current fee) for or new car dealership (call ahead for fee)
  • Payment for title fees, including a lien holder notation (if applicable)
  • Sales tax on purchase price (sales tax rates by county are available HERE)
Also, it is possible for a dirt bike to be plated and legal for street use in Ohio. I'm not sure about the windshield aspect though. Its the law in Ohio for a Temp. MC. License to wear Helmet and goggles. I feel like goggles and a windshield is kind of a pointless combination. IMO.

spiritfeather 04-23-2017 08:04 PM

I got my Magician registered here in Tennessee with no problems. Went right through.

BlackBike 04-23-2017 09:57 PM

In other words, just when you think you paid it up , the check writing party just continues at the insurance, inspector, and dmv.>:(

TheRagingWrench 04-23-2017 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackBike (Post 253048)
In other words, just when you think you paid it up , the check writing party just continues at the insurance, inspector, and dmv.>:(

Basically yeah.

Jarwolf 04-25-2017 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRagingWrench (Post 253008)
I'm in Ohio as well. Bought a Magician that is due here tomorrow morning. From what I gathered Ohio BMV website. Is the following.

What Do I Need to Bring to the Title Office?

APVs and off-road motorcycles purchased on or after 07/01/1999:

• Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO)
  • If titling from another state, certificate of title in applicant's name or assigned to Ohio resident (if applicable)
  • For out-of-state titles only, an out-of-state vehicle identification number (VIN) inspection; inspections can be obtained at any Ohio deputy registrar license agency (click HERE for current fee) for or new car dealership (call ahead for fee)
  • Payment for title fees, including a lien holder notation (if applicable)
  • Sales tax on purchase price (sales tax rates by county are available HERE)
Also, it is possible for a dirt bike to be plated and legal for street use in Ohio. I'm not sure about the windshield aspect though. Its the law in Ohio for a Temp. MC. License to wear Helmet and goggles. I feel like goggles and a windshield is kind of a pointless combination. IMO.

I thank you so much for the information! Yeah, I believe the BMV in Lancaster told me it needed a windshield which I thought was absurd. Perhaps I heard her wrong, hopefully so. Yeah, I got to call the people who sell the dirt bikes to make sure the MCO says Motorcycle.

TheRagingWrench 04-25-2017 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarwolf (Post 253255)
I thank you so much for the information! Yeah, I believe the BMV in Lancaster told me it needed a windshield which I thought was absurd. Perhaps I heard her wrong, hopefully so. Yeah, I got to call the people who sell the dirt bikes to make sure the MCO says Motorcycle.

Shouldn't really matter I don't think. You can get it converted to MC title later. I think.

I'm in the process of getting my MCO at the moment I will let you know whats up when I get there. So far though from all I've gathered everything should be smooth. Although I am prepared to pay for 2 titles. 1st to get it reg. to the state and then the 2nd to convert it to a MC title.

joeboyk 04-25-2017 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarwolf (Post 253255)

hey i have a Hawk,took paypal receipt for sales tax mco and had the title is five minutes,then off to license plate easy to obtain.