ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Dual Sport/Enduro (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Hawk Headlight questions and issues. (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=19701)

Bird Fish 08-12-2017 11:17 PM

Hawk Headlight questions and issues.

1) what is the small bulb for? Down and left from main bulb.

I thought it would be a daytime running lamp but it runs with the main bulb.

2) I'll need to black out top of headlight assembly as distracting light shines up.

3) Anyone replace the headlight assembly completely?

Megadan 08-13-2017 01:15 AM

1. It's supposed to be a running/accent light. Mine never worked either, and also only comes on with the headlight. I have a feeling that some of them were wired wrong. To me it's not really a big deal, but I guess it depends on your local laws as well.

2. Mine also did this. I simply put a strip of electrical tape across the top/inside portion of the headlight to block it. Probably not the best long-term solution, but it has worked up to this point. Some black nail polish might be a better permament solution.

3. I am not aware of that at this point, but I have considered it. I just dont know what I would go with, and I don't mind the headlight up to this point after doing the LED bulb.

Ariel Red Hunter 08-13-2017 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bird Fish (Post 263463)
1) what is the small bulb for? Down and left from main bulb.

I thought it would be a daytime running lamp but it runs with the main bulb.

2) I'll need to black out top of headlight assembly as distracting light shines up.

3) Anyone replace the headlight assembly completely?

Yes, the small bulb is supposed to be a daytime running lamp, and a parking lamp. (not parking all night, parking on a roadside while you get off the bike for whatever reason). If you fix the wiring to make it work the way it should, I'd put an LED bulb in there to make it brighter. An LED headlight bulb, the one with three elements pointing up on low beam may help with the distracting light at night...ARH

green_hawk250 08-13-2017 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bird Fish (Post 263463)

It wouldn't help. I put 2 inch wide, half inch thick black foam strip between the cluster and headlight assembly. Works like a charm.

The following is a fragment from my previous post regarding that light.
-----------------
Useless position light has been removed and the wires cut.

http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/...pscp6cu9xl.jpg

Bird Fish 08-13-2017 12:31 PM

I'm going to try to rewire that light for proper behavior, especially since you can turn the lights completely off on this bike. I'd hate for the headlight to be off and have no running light. Plus I have some led side markers and that would be a good place to tap into.

Ariel Red Hunter 08-14-2017 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bird Fish (Post 263488)
I'm going to try to rewire that light for proper behavior, especially since you can turn the lights completely off on this bike. I'd hate for the headlight to be off and have no running light. Plus I have some led side markers and that would be a good place to tap into.

As long as they are on all of the time the ignition is switched on...ARH

JerryHawk250 09-30-2017 06:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I swapped out the bulb today with a LED bulb then rewired it to work the way it supposed to. I took the brown wire hooked to the black wire that is in the square 4 prong connector which is hot when the ignition is on. The LED is so much brighter.

Bill1 09-30-2017 08:48 PM

I used the wires for the small bulb to power my phone charger.

Jeff Richardson 04-05-2019 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill1 (Post 266219)
I used the wires for the small bulb to power my phone charger.

I used the wires for my spot lights. The little bulb still works but only when I activate the spot lights. I figured no need for it otherwise because I ride with headlight on.