ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Dual Sport/Enduro (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Riding CSC TT250 Through Winter, Any Suggestions On Winterizing? (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=22390)

BitcoinDood 10-17-2018 08:39 PM

Riding CSC TT250 Through Winter, Any Suggestions On Winterizing?

So I had a blast on the CSC TT250 all summer long and I just can't justify putting it away. I'm thinking about riding it through the winter. I live in Buffalo NY and we get some pretty severe weather during the winter months. Really cold, and lots of snow. Luckily I only work about 10 blocks from my house.

Today was one of the first cold days we had, in the high 30's with sleet and rain. When I went to start the bike, for the first time ever I had a bit of time getting it started. Got me thinking about winterizing it for the coming crappy weather.

I'm still running the stock battery. Is there a better battery for this bike? Would it be worth it to change it? Anyone have any issues with dead batteries in the winter or extreme cold running the stock one?

I'm doing an oil change this weekend, and thinking I'd change out the spark plug too. I'm still running the stock plug. Any suggestions on the best plug for this bike?

I just put some new Shinko tires on too. Hoping they work out good in the snow. Anyone have any other suggestions for winterizing the bike and getting through the winter with as few a problems as possible?

wheelbender6 10-17-2018 09:10 PM

One of those universal windshields that connects to your mirror mounts will help.

Sullybiker 10-17-2018 09:25 PM

I took mine out over winter a few times. The bike holds up well, but lots of ACF50 or wd40 pn the metal bits to ward off corrosion. The wheels and spoke nipples were pretty bad but they are cheap to replace. It's a good bike.

You will need choke to get her going on the coldest mornings, but not too much.

Weldangrind 10-18-2018 11:09 AM

It might be wise to bump up the slow jet size a bit, to helps with cold starts.

Red Hawk 10-18-2018 11:51 AM

HEATED GRIPS :tup:

timcosby 10-18-2018 07:31 PM

i ride all winter and i bet jerryhawk250 does too!:p:hi::tup::thanks:

JerryHawk250 10-18-2018 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timcosby (Post 292726)
i ride all winter and i bet jerryhawk250 does too!:p:hi::tup::thanks:

Me too! :clap::hi::yay: what's winter?:hmm:

culcune 10-18-2018 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sullybiker (Post 292666)
I took mine out over winter a few times.

I was going to suggest Sullybiker because I recalled him posting about his winter commutes, on a TT, no less, but Sully already beat me here! :tup:

roundhouse 10-18-2018 08:27 PM

My bike has been the same since I got it and got the crab tuned and all. No probs in the winter other than it takes a while to warm up and i baby it until it warms up.

rojo_grande 10-18-2018 10:40 PM

I just got these for my winter riding. They fit over hand guards. I swap them out between the TT and RX in about 10 seconds.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OBR-ADV-Gea...53.m2749.l2649

Also got a dual pane shield for my helmet. Heavy liners for pants and jacket. heated gloves.

timcosby 10-19-2018 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 292734)
Me too! :clap::hi::yay: what's winter?:hmm:

thats when it gets cold for 2 days then warms back up to 80!

BitcoinDood 10-19-2018 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sullybiker (Post 292666)
I took mine out over winter a few times. The bike holds up well, but lots of ACF50 or wd40 pn the metal bits to ward off corrosion. The wheels and spoke nipples were pretty bad but they are cheap to replace. It's a good bike.

You will need choke to get her going on the coldest mornings, but not too much.

Good idea with the WD40, they put a lot of salt on the roads here. I figured that out with the choke this morning. It was really cold, snow on the roofs, and I put it on full choke and she started right up.

BitcoinDood 10-19-2018 12:53 AM

That would be nice. A luxury I probably can't afford right now though. I just ordered some new leather thinsulate gloves. Hoping that does the trick.

BitcoinDood 10-19-2018 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rojo_grande (Post 292748)
I just got these for my winter riding. They fit over hand guards. I swap them out between the TT and RX in about 10 seconds.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OBR-ADV-Gea...53.m2749.l2649

Also got a dual pane shield for my helmet. Heavy liners for pants and jacket. heated gloves.

Those grip mittens are awesome. I'll look into those. I was actually looking at them in white cotton earlier this year for a desert ride I was thinking about taking over the summer.

roundhouse 10-19-2018 10:50 AM

Nice find rojo grande. My gloves are mediocre at best. Easy to switch between bikes?