ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Dual Sport/Enduro (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Multi day/long trips on a KPX 250 (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=31450)

IdahoRider 08-24-2022 08:08 PM

Multi day/long trips on a KPX 250

I'm considering the KPX 250 for day and multiday dual sport riding. Would you KPX owners recommend/trust your bikes as reliable enough for long distance travel? There are almost limitless places to ride offroad in southern Idaho and I'd plan on doing all day multisurface riding as well as multi day trips. I've only read positive things about the KPX but have not read/seen any reports of anyone doing long and/or multiday trips. Thanks.

Megadan 08-24-2022 08:55 PM

Not sure the bike has been around long enough for anybody to give you a fair and honest answer to this. Lifans are known as some of the best cheaper chinese bikes on the market, so they have that going for them.

zero_dgz 08-24-2022 10:18 PM

I've done several such trips on my RXB250, which has basically the same engine and a seat that I'm certain is miles worse. I think it'll do fine.

Do everything you can to mitigate any of your important bolts from falling out when you're hundreds of miles from home. Ask me how I know. (That's true of any bike, though, especially any bike you plan to ride off-road.)

IdahoRider 08-24-2022 11:43 PM

Thanks. I have seen one YouTuber who did a 1200 trip from Florida to Texas and another one recently didn the Idaho BDR on the RXB. I will definately go through the bike during assembly and setup.

JerryHawk250 08-25-2022 08:39 AM

I would think you would have no issues. I would do it on my Hawk and it is nowhere near the quality of the KPX. It's literally been raining just about everyday since I got the KPX so I don't have a lot of miles on it yet. The few rides I did take were between an hour to two hour rides and I wouldn't hesitate to take it on a long trip. The bike is ready to ride right out the box without having to do any mods to make it road worthy unlike some of the cheaper bikes. If you plan on doing a lot of highway riding at 70mph I would drop 3 teeth on the rear sprocket just to bring the rpms down a little. She will run 70mph all day as it is.

mshawnlatham 08-25-2022 09:51 AM

Thats a great question. I am looking at getting a Hawk 250 and I want to use it as a daily commuter and for long distance.

IdahoRider 08-25-2022 10:06 AM

Thanks for everyones feedback. Looking forward to the rain ending so @JerryHawk250 can update his YouTube channel.

JerryHawk250 08-25-2022 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IdahoRider (Post 383051)
Thanks for everyones feedback. Looking forward to the rain ending so @JerryHawk250 can update his YouTube channel.

I can't wait to get the KPX out at the spillway for some off road adventure.

TominMO 08-25-2022 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IdahoRider (Post 383051)

Word on the street is he is building a boat in his back yard. I forget how many cubits long and wide they say it is.....

TominMO 08-25-2022 12:39 PM

As far as oil temp goes IDK if cooler is better or it is optimal to keep it at a certain non-minimal temperature. IE should everyone install a cooler on general principles, or only when ambient temp is high and long-distance hwy riding is anticipated?

Sport Rider 08-25-2022 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TominMO (Post 383059)
As far as oil temp goes IDK if cooler is better or it is optimal to keep it at a certain non-minimal temperature. IE should everyone install a cooler on general principles, or only when ambient temp is high and long-distance hwy riding is anticipated?

FWIW, my hawk did not do well in stop/go traffic on the street. I feel like an oil cooler would have helped, but I never installed it.

my commute included back country roads at 55-60, then coming into town for stop/go stuff. it'd get pretty hot running at high RPMs and then would act up when I had to stop/go.

JerryHawk250 08-25-2022 02:06 PM

If you live in a hot climate the oil cooler will greatly increase the oil life by preventing thermal break down of the oil. You will also find that shifting and finding neutral is much smoother. I've installed them on every china bike I've owned.

J4Fun 08-25-2022 02:07 PM

The oil cooler would have made a small difference, but it takes air movement like the engine to cool. If one is going to be in stop and go traffic, you may want a water cooled engine. Just my thoughts

Megadan 08-25-2022 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J4Fun (Post 383063)
The oil cooler would have made a small difference, but it takes air movement like the engine to cool. If one is going to be in stop and go traffic, you may want a water cooled engine. Just my thoughts

Except for those moments when you do get airflow and it cools the oil. It still makes a noticeable difference. As with any air cooled motorcycle if you are going to be sitting stopped for a long period of time in the heat it is best to shut off the engine.

4T_Goblin 08-25-2022 03:20 PM

Go through it before you go and tighten things up and you should be good as any