ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Off-Topic/General Discussion (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=109)
-   -   Feeling short today (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=33639)

Bruces 12-24-2023 12:45 PM

Feeling short today

I was sent to the grocery store to pick up some last minute stuff we really don’t need this morning ,and walking towards me is a guy whose chin was literally over my head ! I am 6’5” that truly doesn’t happen to me ,possibly once or twice in my life around here ,usually university kids .Guy plays pro basketball (we have a team Sudbury 5 ) ,he is 7’1” ,I ask what he drives and he says 4 of them share a team car ,a Hyundai ! Of course I laughed because if I am in a Hyundai nobody can sit behind me ,I can’t imagine 4 in one at a time .Anyways ,nice fellow ,and I gladly pass the torch of having grannies tap me on the arm in the grocery store to get something off the top shelf . He gave me tickets to their home opener on the 28th .
Kind of made my day !

JerryHawk250 12-24-2023 01:21 PM

Haha! That's awesome. :tup:

buzz 12-24-2023 05:19 PM

Great Christmas gift!!!!

Bruces 12-24-2023 06:01 PM

Turns out the kid is from California ,played for Cal Tech ,last name Whitset .Long way from home in winter for a California kid .Cant imagine what -45 or a two foot dumping of snow will do to him ,but good on him for giving it a go . I should have him over for Christmas dinner to see if I can get rid of my 6’ daughter I am sick of seeing in my house every damned day .lol .

2LZ 12-25-2023 12:54 PM

That's awesome Bruces!
Our little town of Volcano has a basketball player over 7' but he's not around much. His dad (6'6") drops in every so often for a cold beer. His son James played college ball but has had a rough time with the pro's. Super-tall guys injure easily. Leverage, I guess? He's off somewhere playing a different league for rehab and training. Canada maybe??? Hoping to get back in the pro's before the window of opportunity closes.

Bruces 12-25-2023 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2LZ (Post 402905)
That's awesome Bruces!
Our little town of Volcano has a basketball player over 7' but he's not around much. His dad (6'6") drops in every so often for a cold beer. His son James played college ball but has had a rough time with the pro's. Super-tall guys injure easily. Leverage, I guess? He's off somewhere playing a different league for rehab and training. Canada maybe??? Hoping to get back in the pro's before the window of opportunity closes.

There is a pro league here for at least the last 4 years , half a dozen teams or so spread out right across Canada , can’t imagine it’s great because they do put an ad in the local paper asking for people to try out lol. .Looking at our local teams roster ,many of them are from the US ,like I said ,if they are from the southern states it could be a real adventure in the winter although lots of areas in Canada with teams have less harsh weather than where I live .If you find out your friends kid is playing up here ,let me know ,I will try to see him play .

2LZ 12-26-2023 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruces (Post 402907)
There is a pro league here for at least the last 4 years , half a dozen teams or so spread out right across Canada , can’t imagine it’s great because they do put an ad in the local paper asking for people to try out lol. .Looking at our local teams roster ,many of them are from the US ,like I said ,if they are from the southern states it could be a real adventure in the winter although lots of areas in Canada with teams have less harsh weather than where I live .If you find out your friends kid is playing up here ,let me know ,I will try to see him play .

Indeed! He's a great kid. Super-polite and respectful....and he has a cool dog he usually brings along. Small town though. That's pretty normal.

Bruces 12-28-2023 10:59 PM

My new friend won tonight ,lots of fun ,I will go again .

TominMO 12-29-2023 07:51 AM

Sorry to hear about your perception of being vertically challenged. Recommend you hang out with really short people for a while. Oh, and of course the universal antidote: chocolate.

https://www.lpaonline.org/