ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Taotao 50cc scoot this time. needs more than a thumb (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=9729)

katoranger 07-22-2011 09:57 AM

Taotao 50cc scoot this time. needs more than a thumb

Well I have another 50cc to fix. This one came with a leaking carb and no spark.

The red/black wire from the stator to the CDI had been pinched in the frame. Repaired that and then stick no spark. I suspected the CDI, but din't have a spare so I tried another coil. Got spark.

Yesterday no carb, CDI, and coil arrive. Put it all together take it for a ride. Rode about 1/4 mile and it died. Restarted by difficult. Then no spark at all again.

Tried swapping coils, cdi, still nothing.

Tested stator 81VAC at CDI. Nothing at coil.

Tested trigger/pickup coil. 0.1VAC This is my suspect. Reading says I need at least 0.5VAC to trigger the CDI.

So now it looks like I need to replace the trigger coil and stator.

Found some good help over here.

http://chinesescoots.forumwise.com/c...hread9545.html

FastDoc 07-22-2011 12:15 PM

I'm no expert here but as I recall symptoms like this can be caused by an excessive gap from the rotor to the trigger coil. Maybe that or some debris is causing the problem?

Weldangrind 07-22-2011 04:35 PM

That's what I'm thinking. That, or excessive corrosion inside the flywheel.

katoranger 07-23-2011 09:59 AM

I am not sure what the problem wa, but yesterday I checked the connectiosn again and it is started up and worked flawlessly.

If it comes back I will open up the flywheel cover and see what is going on.

katoranger 07-23-2011 10:51 AM

It quit again.

Weldangrind 07-23-2011 12:33 PM

Yeah, it's rare for those automatic repairs to last.

When I found corrosion inside of a flywheel, I sanded it off and then rubbed in some WD-40 to help protect it.

katoranger 07-23-2011 02:24 PM

I think that is what I will try next. I believe I have the correct flywheel puller.

This may be a good excuse to buy one of those electric impacts.

I told him that I didn't think it would last. New stator assembly is $25.

SpudRider 07-24-2011 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katoranger
I think that is what I will try next. I believe I have the correct flywheel puller.

This may be a good excuse to buy one of those electric impacts.

I told him that I didn't think it would last. New stator assembly is $25.

I think $25 is a great price for a new stator. ;) Does this price include the pickup coil? How old is the scooter?

P.S. I could use an inexpensive, electric impact driver. Which model are you thinking about purchasing, and how much does it cost?

Spud :)

Reveeen 07-24-2011 01:58 PM

Scrappydog sells just the pick-up ($12), or stator. I bought a stator there, it came fast, and appeared to be the same as original. Watch the pictures carefully!

katoranger 07-24-2011 11:46 PM

I only need the pickup. The stator is working fine.

Spud, the scooter is pretty new. I think he bought it over the winter. About 700kms.

Haven't decided on an impact yet. Harbor freight has some. It would be easier than dragging my little compressor out and getting it setup to remove one nut.

Reveeen 07-26-2011 02:03 PM

I am told those 12V roadside emergency type impact guns will do the trick, probably not much good for anything else, but you know?

katoranger 07-26-2011 02:04 PM

I got it back today. Only 0.2VAC from the trigger coil. Fortunately another coworker had ordered one and didn't need it. I will pick that up today and hopefully have this scoot going tomorrow.

Maybe I will take pics. Have a kodak that needs some testing.

katoranger 07-27-2011 12:49 PM

New scrappydog trigger coil and still no spark. I only get 0.2vac on the trigger coil.

Flywheel is nice and clean.

FastDoc 07-27-2011 01:00 PM

Damaged or broken wire? Perhaps something is getting pinched by the case? Low battery voltage? Corroded connection somewhere?

I don't really know, just thinking...

katoranger 07-27-2011 01:12 PM

Everything is clean. The battery spins it easily. I am wondering if it is a stator problem.

I don't see any pinched wires. Can't locate my flywheel puller either.