View Single Post
Old 04-09-2011, 06:01 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune

It probably has to do with EPA issues. Whenever someone has posted a certificate, it seems like there is a certain time limit before renewal. I think either the manu. or importer bring in a huge amount of bikes under the cert. and don't bother to renew them, so just sell off what they have.

That is why the Zongs are 2006's, and Qlinks are leftover '09's Qlink was the exclusive importer of the Qingqi 200. It would take another importer or Qingqi itself to bring them in, but if the cert. had expired, I doubt we will see them again
Without a doubt, the most logical answer, thus far!
Let us not forget...in all our happiness with the great bikes that we've gotten for super cheap...it's not the manufacturer that is bringing us these bikes (e.g Yamaha, Kawasaki, et al)....it's an importer working under a limited time basis to jam as many bikes into a container as possible and sell them. Same reason you can find my 'X-Moto GY5" under a zillion different labels.
Just my opinion, but I think it has a lot to do with the engine size. 200 cc just isn't enough for the U.S. We need something that we can drive on the highways of our country (at least for short distance) and the 200s don't have enough. This isn't so much of a concern in other countries as they tend to have restrictions as to engine size for first time riders.

I see quite a bit in other forums new riders asking what they should buy so that they can do some highway riding. Now that Honda has come out with the CBR250 to challange the 250 Ninja, china bikes have to react to that. Didn't Yamaha discontinue the XT225 and has only the XT250? This will probably happen across all of the lines...except for maybe the DR200 and the TW200. But, of course, that will depend on sales.