View Single Post
Old 05-26-2011, 06:27 AM   #6

Got pics of your new project?

There really isn't anything to document, I'm just trying to get the thing operational (as in running) and then we will see where it goes from there.

The only thing I have to say, so far, I've said it.... here goes again. When you need parts... shop around..... so far: stator $30 (it's an oddball), belt $15 (729:17.5:30), special exhaust nuts $2, shipping $10.

If what I am looking at is typical material/build quality from Benzhou/Saga I could not recommend a purchase at the current price point. Maybe the other Chinese scooters are different, but I *suspect* not. Poor quality steel in the frames, gussets missing where they should be, poor quality welding, and finish. Those low prices we see on the Internet, from the US, are closer to the real value I am seeing here. I'm sure the argument can be made that this is "the pound of flesh" Transport Canada is extracting from Canadians, but you know, everyone is paying it, the Japanese too.......

Scooters get abused.... especially the 50cc ones (they are the current moped). A well abused Yamaha scooter from 1997 is a better buy than a Benzhou from 2007 (both "as is" at about the same price). And when operational I consider the Yamaha to be worth more.

Something went on @ Saga, I have no idea what, Brad is no longer the local rep, and my parts guy is gone.