View Single Post
Old 06-21-2011, 02:38 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
One possible upgrade to think about.... A buddy of mine has a cherry 1970 Triumph Tiger. First thing he did was replace the points and condensor and put in an electronic ignition conversion kit. No more worries.

Copy that. Right now the bike is well tuned with new points. When they are worn (tomorrow? :roll: ) I'll upgrade to electronic ignition. When the Amal (a fresh rebuild, by the way) is worn out I'd look into a Mikuni conversion. When my right leg is worn out I'll look into a Japanese bike with an electric starter!
After a hundred mile ride those points could do with "setting", and the Amal shipped from the factory NAWO (new all worn out). Contrary to popular *thought*, your right leg will not wear out, but will develop curious "lumps and bumps" (specifically just above your right heel).

The electronic ignition conversion will do away with the points, but most importantly it does away with the mechanical ignition advancer, which is likely sticking.
If your ignition advancer isn't "sticking" it: 1) is about to, and 2) is the only one on the planet that isn't.
Point sets, at least the currently available for purchase point sets, vary widely in quality. It is most important that the points cam be lubed as I have seen the plastic/phenolic rubbing blocks wear out in as little as 500 miles.

Changing out the Amal for a carburetor that "works" will make a "night and day" difference to that, or any, English bike. Doesn't have to be a Mikuni, could be a vacuum Keihin (1/2 of a pair on an old Honda twin), virtually ANYTHING you have hanging about will "work" better.

But you know, at the end of the day, it's your bike. I suggest these things, as things to keep your eyes peeled for (for purchase at the "right price"), to improve your "British experience". The replaced parts can be carefully stored in a box/container to be passed on to the next owner. These changes are not one way, you, or someone else, can easily go back to original.

Now, for that gearshift on the right side: the right side is the "proper" place for a gear shift to "live", maybe you can get a conversion for your Honda to put that right?