View Single Post
Old 08-24-2011, 03:08 AM   #23

After a good night’s rest, Brother Bill and I loaded up the luggage racks and headed out for another day of riding. Shortly after traveling down a twisty paved road, we paused to celebrate the Zong’s achievement of reaching 40,000 miles on the odometer.

Then we ascended once more into the mountains.

After traveling south along the ridgeline of the mountain, we rode an ATV trail down a wooded canyon into another valley. We paused to stretch, and admire an open meadow.

Entering the forest once again, I crossed a cattle guard ramp. I stopped to take out my camera and photograph Bill negotiating the same ramp on my Zong.

FastDoc later told me he had never before encountered one of these ramps. We paused for several more photographs before exiting the canyon onto a recently graded fire road.

Reaching the fire road, we paused to admire the view of the reservoir in the distant valley.

Descending into the valley, we rode the pavement southward, then eastward toward our next destination. After pausing to hydrate at a local convenience market, we continued riding the pavement eastward until we reached a gravel road leading to our next mountaintop. We stopped to take a photograph of the verdant fields in the valley below.

Reaching the trailhead, we began our ascent. We also paused along the way to soak up the scenery.

Climbing a rocky jeep trail, we stopped along the narrow road to allow 3 UTVs to pass us, and took the opportunity to capture a few more photographs.

Upon reaching the summit, we admired the view from almost 9,000 feet above sea level.

Riding an ATV trail northward along the spine of the mountain, we stopped to eat, and enjoy the panorama.

Rain clouds were skirting us to the north, producing lightning strikes in the valley below.

However, we appeared to be safe, so we finished our meal, and continued to admire the view. In this photograph Brother Bill is posing in front of the road we would ride after descending from this summit.

The thunderclouds now appeared to be heading in our direction, so we decided to descend the mountain. We paused along the way to relax, and take some more photos.

After riding an ATV trail down the mountain, we stopped to look back at the summit before we rode the pavement northward to our final mountaintop of the weekend.

The shadows were lengthening when we reached the top of this final mountain.

Bill took a photograph of the local airport from which he would depart the next day.

I took a few photographs of the town below.

As sunset approached we traveled along the ridge to another viewpoint, before we descended into town and ended our ride.

Brother Bill looks tired, doesn’t he? We rode approximately 135 miles on this day. Therefore, FastDoc and I rode about 300 miles in two days, allowing Brother Bill to earn his prestigious Idaho Leather Butt Certificate.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894