View Single Post
Old 11-29-2011, 10:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krasi_BG
The engine is indeed OHC, but strangely the camshaft is held in place only by the head cover and not with bolts and shells to the head itself (ask me how I know this!) . And it has ball bearings, which are encapsulated
That's exactly how the Honda XR200R is designed. The non-replaceable bearings will quickly score if the oil isn't changed regularly. That said, old Hondas of that design will still run forever, even if neglected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krasi_BG
On another forum, I was advised not to touch the SAI (Secondary Air Intake) system, unless I open up the exhaust too. Unfortunately, there is no way the owner of the bike, a.k.a. my wife, would let me put an offroad muffler on it. If it was mine, I would have chopped it open straight away, but she likes it quiet like it is now. I'll just play a little with the jets if they are not too peculiar because now it doesn't tick-over properly when cold, even with the choke on.
If you remove the SAI without changing mufflers, you'll destroy the catalytic converter, which is likely within the muffler. If you're good at surgery, you could chop the muffler, remove the cat and weld it back together. After removing the restrictive cat, expect a wicked backfire if you still have the SAI installed. Ask me how I know.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer