View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 11:28 PM   #228

I believe that's exactly the problem, the one sharp edge part just wasn't machined with the attention to detail needed to make it last.

The chewed up part is not worn anywhere other than where the sharp edge cuts into it constantly. It seems to be decent enough quality inside looking at all the other parts, the metals look good, and machining and fit etc, but if you miss even one sharp edge on one piece like this there's just no way it will last like a japanese bike where they take the pride in their work to be anal about every single minute detail.

Not counting yes the rubber quality or gaskets. Mine never had any leaks though. not a drop over years and the only problem I had was the transmission. I haven't been using it, but I do start and run all my machines once or twice a year whether I use them or not. I'd notice a leak.

After giving it some thought, I think my best bet is to just fix it, make it the bobber I wanted very simply and with no real investment, and drive it until it won't go anymore and can't be fixed any more. Then there's always a no title donor honda rebel available to snag a real engine from or any other real parts I'd need.

Really with a non titled or wrecked donor I'd have a perfect combo of known good parts and I have zero money in this bike already. I don't know if you recall, but it was free when the warranty wouldn't fix the problems. I got a chargeback on my credit card for this bike and the gy6 scooter. Both sit in my garage still new.

The scooter I'm going to sell for sure. No sense in letting it keep sitting, I have it running and when the weather turns she's gone. Runs good now though, it's actually fun. All that needed was a stator pick up and I fixed it years ago. (but still never used the damn thing.)

The 250 is free and paid for, I love that no payments thing.
And just not worth much anyway but is a size I would use unlike the scooter. So far everything else seems reliable and good on mine, rubber all still good, tires hold air all this time, runs great, no carb issues or intake gasket leak or whatever.

A donor honda rebel or similar are so cheap, I don't see how I could loose with the solid wheels and just using the frame and metal stuff not keeping the plastic or cheaper parts. (Provided they honda engine fits the frame mounts, which I guess I'm not sure of.)

Hellen keller didn't weld this frame, I looked. Seems good. Some nice young slave boy did that must not have wanted to be whipped that day.

Do you guys see any problem with this idea? Aside from a titled frame all I need to keep it rolling is wheel bearings and tires right? Has anyone ever confirmed this chinese rebelzuki has the same mounting points as a real honda engine?