View Single Post
Old 08-07-2013, 01:54 AM   #45

I made a bunch of progress over the weekend. I completed the wiring over the weekend, and I discovered that the audible turn signal box is quite necessary, since there's no quick way to incorporate a flasher. There is a nice by-product of the box, and that is that the turn signals flash rapidly nine times when you apply the brake. Since Son of Weldangrind will be the primary pilot, I'm happy to know that the Lifan has this safety feature.

I discovered an oddity. I had unplugged the alarm, without knowing how it interacted with the electrical system. The bike started up fine without the alarm, but I couldn't switch it off! Neither the kill switch nor the key switch had any effect on the engine, yet the key switch could shut off all electrical accessories. The solution was to simply plug the alarm back in, minus the loudspeaker. The kill switch and key switch now work properly.

I hope to get some time on the bike tomorrow evening, at which time I'll install the front brake (and flush it). After a little tuning, it should be ready for a maiden voyage. I'll post pics when it's done.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer