View Single Post
Old 09-09-2013, 12:45 PM   #28

A little development.

Had a tidy up of the birds nest of wiring thats been cable tied to the battery all year, now lives in a little CF box I made along with a battery tray (still to be secured). Gotta admit I dont understand the wiring, red wires turn into black wires, yellow and green connect to red, and yellow and red connect to green etc etc!! I'm sure the guy that chopped this loom up and attached it to this outfit in it's previous life commented that some things like the on/off switch were working backwards so he changed some things around. It all works though so have just connected it all back the same but in a slightly more organised fashion. Moved to coil and rectifier out of the way too.

Right so I've tried running the engine with the long manifold. It runs but needs some fiddling. This carb has always suffered a bit from a cloud of mixture/vapor chuffing back out of the carb mouth at wide open throttle and it seems to be worse now with the cloud reaching out in front of the handle bars, I can also feel it cooling my hand on the throttle grip as it passes by. I can pretty much pin the throttle with it in neutral and the engine doesnt reach very high revs so the first hunch is that it's now running much richer than it was with the short manifold. Secondly I think I should try disconnecting the power jet pipe on the TM28 carb. I'll have a play with it tomorrow afternoon when I get up, cant ride it at home though so it will just be static testing. Now running short on time as our last 2013 round is at the weekend and the bodywork n mounts are still very broken and need fixing, we may be able to get out on practice day on friday for some testing at speed.

Work calls.... back later