View Single Post
Old 10-11-2013, 10:32 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsskibum View Post
weldandgrind..
when I first saw the ad on craigslist, the seller says this isnt a crotch rocket ..it isnt fast.. its china crap. but it will get you around town and can pass people...
When I took it home from his house,( where he had a brand new ninja 250 sitting next to her) she didnt even go over 55 with it cutting out around 5000rpm...
I thought for about a week that was all she had.. then I found this magical site and starting googling the bike and what the motor should be producing and discovered problems along the way.
after alot of tweaking I am almost to her potential, and after owning alot bigger bikes over the years ( suzuki gs500/honda cb750/honda gl500/suzuki 1100e) and a few scooters (eaton beamer 50/eaton matrix 50) this bike rates right up there for enjoyment, for riding around town. The 65mpg isnt too shabby either. It was all the seller said it was.. But even more...
problems encountered (found and repaired)
stretched chain
valve job
clogged oil filter
headlight bulb mount broken (bulb fell and was saved before it melted anything)
carb float gummed up and sticky
excessive spark plug gap (+/- .14)
broken front blinker mount(fairing cracked)
exhaust crushable washer not seated fully

stay tuned a few more upgrades are on the checklist..
air filter pods..
needle jet upgrade
front and rear sprocket ratio change (I want it to go around 80 so I can get on the freeways)
You've made excellent progress. Please remind me; was it the valves that were the major issue? Was it simply a matter of cleaning and lapping them?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer